Electonic compass

Whats the advantage here ? how are they on batteries,do they suck more power..WAAS,,i dont need no stinking WAAS..WAAS is fer sissies..lol..

I actually prefer to just carry around a regular magnetic compass. It's always a good idea to have a backup anyways in case your batteries run out. Some models don't have the electronic compass, which requires movement to determine your direction, which can be a major pain if you are in a tight spot.

The electronic compasses on my Magellan Meridian Platinum and my Garmin 60 CSx point 180° off quite often... I have gotten used to going in whatever direction makes the distance-to-target calculation go down rather than where the arrow points!

Even when they do "work" it's no better than a general indication of which way to the cache, and useless under 50'

My electronic compass on my Vista has always worked for the 5 years I've had it. You ought to calibrate it (recommended) whenever you change batteries but that takes a few seconds. When you're close to the cache within tens of feet, the arrow moves all over the place not because the compass isn't working but because of the limited accuracy of the satellite signals. A regular compass would provide no more accuracy since you would be basing the direction to travel on the same satellites since you use you GPS location to determine bearing.

Carrying a second device such as a compass ties up two hands. I like keeping my second hand free to hold a camer, or a hiking stick or a tree while walking down steep trails.

I recommend getting a GPS with a on-board compass. Keep a cheap regular compass in your pocket for backup.

Had a 60CS with the onboard compass. Even when calibrated, it threw off the GPSr readings, making it respond erratically . . . so I kept it turned OFF and never missed it, at all.

When I got my new one, the 60Cx, I left off the compass feature and all is well with the world. When I rarely need a compass, it is in my bag, a mechanical one.

Is your compass turned off or disabled above a certain speed. There's a setting that keeps the electronic compass off above a certain speed - the satellites provide the direction. However, beow that speed the electronic compass kicks in so the bearing arrow is always there.

Do you have a bearing arrow when you are not moving?

Yes, we also carry a magnetic compass--but haven't used it in years. :ph34r: We really could not get along without the electronic compass. We get erroneous direction pointing from time to time, but usually only when we are within a few yards of the sought target. We've found under those circumstances: slow down, stop. Let the "arrow" stabilize. If we do not spot the cache quickly, we change from the compass page to the coordinates page and place a marker at the spot where the cache page coordinates match our gps'r indicated coordinates. When those two numbers match, don't chase the needle, look for the cache. We then turn the unit off and conduct our search. That has worked for us.

Yes you do need to calibrate the electronic compass occasionally--takes 15 seconds.

I guess we're sissies--really appreciate WAAS--and remember the good ole days of SA's 25 meter allowed accuracy!

We don't need no stinkin' magnetic compass, we always carry extra batteries and an extra gps'r. :wub:

When going in the outdoors, as a rule always carry a magnetic compass with you and if no paper map try to memorize at least the outline and main road of the area so you know where to head in case of these electronic gadgets go wrong. Anyone who is a techie knows that these things can and do break down not to mention depletedbatteries (carry spare too).

When going in the outdoors, as a rule always carry a magnetic compass with you and if no paper map try to memorize at least the outline and main road of the area so you know where to head in case of these electronic gadgets go wrong. Anyone who is a techie knows that these things can and do break down not to mention depletedbatteries (carry spare too).

Absolutely! Mine died in the middle of the woods in the night just back in Nov. I always keep a magnetic compass with me.

Another thing I like to do with my magnetic compass - if you are looking for a cache in an area that may yield poor gps reception, you can always get a bearing from an area with a good reading and walk yourself in using paces and a compass. I've done that on several occasions when the last few little bit of a trip to acache is in too heavy cover for an accurate reading. Triangulation is also a good trick sometimes when a cache is particularly hard to find.

Count me as another fan of the GPSr compass. I taught land navigation in the Air Force, and I'm glad I have that to fall back on (though I usually don't have a map with me anyway aound DFW). If we wanted to get medieval about it, we could all find our caches that way just fine. But life is sooo much easier with a GPSr, and I like to take advantage of all of its features. As Alan mentioned, the auto-switch-to-magnetic compass (if you have one) is terrific. When on foot, mine is set to switch to the magnetic compass (from velocity vector) whenever I'm moving < 1mph for more than 5 seconds. That way, it doesn't get "confused" if I stop for a moment to pick a dogleg, choose a bushwhack path, or just enjoy my surroundings.

One thing to keep in mind, especially when taking bearings, though, is inherent accuracy. The specs on my 60CSx give a compass accuracy of +/- 5 degrees. If I really needed to shoot a long, accurate bearing, I'd whip out my lensatic compass, and figure in the local declination. I've been able to achieve about 1 degree accuracy over pretty long distances. But with those, as with most things, you get what you pay for. Don't expect that kind of performance from the one in the top of your trekking pole.