cellphone paperless caching experiences? treo, etc

Hi folks, I am looking for your experiences with the combination pda/cell phone and how it works with software like cachemate, gpxview, etc.

The reason i'm asking this is while I love the PDA, it's just one more thing to carry. In the summer with shorts on, I'm weighted down by GPS, keys, cellphone, pda, wallet, etc. etc. It's too much to carry and sometimes you don't want to bring a big pack to house it all.

I know there is the Treo so i'm just looking for experiences people have had with the palm series phones, windows mobile systems, etc.

thanks!

If you want to lighten your load, leave your Garmin at home and use your Treo as your geocaching GPS! I use a GPSlim bluetooth GPS receiver, and GeoNiche Palm OS software with my Treo 700p. Now I have a cell phone, GPS navigator, and paperless caching all in one device. I also use the same GPS receiver with TomTom 6 for street navigation. I download GPX files from Geocaching.com and load them into GeoNiche. This gives all info about the cache including hints and decoding ability! I have many cache GPX's loaded and you can see the relative positions of all the caches around you. You can also add your own notes to the notes on the cache. Another cool feature of Geoniche is that it's a great pedometer and can record your route. The software is very configurable. I guess the one downside is that you have to carry the bluetooth receiver, but I just drop it in my pocket where it works perfectly well.

I've got a Treo 650 and as already mentioned it works great. I use cachemate and the WAP site. I have not used any other caching related software with it and it gets the job done. I enjoy the massive contact list, reminders, email and it makes things much easier for work related functions.

to include:

camera is not that good but usable

video is not that good but fun for uploads to youtube

Edited by bogleman
Has anyone used a blackberry with any of the cache proggies? I don't think cachemate is compatable but I'm not sure about gpxview

I'm using a Samsung Blackjack and upload HTML files created by GSAK to it. The entire cache pages, logs and hints are available on the phone and the WAP site is there if I need it. If gpxview won't work, you can always do it my way.

I use a Treo 650, and the Tom Tom 6 software. I like it a lot for getting to the general area of the cache, but ran into a problem using cachemate. I ended up crashing the Treo constantly - I found this was due to having too many waypoints in it. Tom Tom supports as many as I can put in, putting little icons all over the map. I think I have 9000+ in there - but then again, i just like to overdo things :lol: But it really isn't that good for getting you to stuff off-road. I use an Explorist 400 for getting to the cache itself. Only bad thing with that is you can only put ~190 caches in each file - otherwise, it can't read them all (even with a 256 mb card).

If cachemate worked with larger #'s of caches, i'd be all set with the Treo. Now, if they could only build a treo with a built-in GPS receiver, instead of having to carry a separate bluetooth one... it'd be just about perfect! (well, that and Wi-Fi without a separate card too... but that's another story :lol:)

I've been using my Treo 680 for about 2 weeks now and I absolutely love it. I am running TomTom navigator 5 on it to get me to caches in the urban areas, and as close as possible in the outlying areas. I was using cachemate along with cachenav for finding caches, but last week I bough a registered version of Geoniche and its awesome. It takes a little getting used to but its so much more handy to use than cachemate. With just a couple clicks I can go from the navigation screen to the cache description to read notes and decode clues. I can mark new points from the home screen, and do offset caches. I've tried using the bluetooth receiver by both holding it in my hand, and putting it in my pocket and get excellent reception both ways. So really all you need to physically carry in your hand is the phone. Before I was lugged down with a phone, palm IIIxe pda, and my garmin gps. Now I have all that in one device. Like someone stated before, the camera is pretty low res, but its good enough to take a picture of yourself in front of landmarks like what is required of alot of virtuals. They're definitely going to be more fragile than a handheld gps, but I bought an nice silicone skin for mine that should help with some of the shock of dropping it, but it also has a hole for a lanyard. So I took the one off my garming and loop it around my wrist, so It will never fall more than about a foot. There are also waterproof cases available for them.

How much is your phone/internet service on the 680?

My wife and I have our phones together on a family plan through cingular. I believe its 59 a month for like 500 minutes, but we get shared mobile to mobile with anyone on cingular, and most of my friends and family are on cingular so I never go over in minutes. I dont have a data plan yet, but I will probably be getting one soon. Go with the unlimited MediaNet plan for $19, the salesperson will try to tell you that you have to go with the 40 dollar data plan, but just add the media plan online. You'll get unlimited data and 200 free messages a month.

My wife and I have our phones together on a family plan through cingular. I believe its 59 a month for like 500 minutes, but we get shared mobile to mobile with anyone on cingular, and most of my friends and family are on cingular so I never go over in minutes. I dont have a data plan yet, but I will probably be getting one soon. Go with the unlimited MediaNet plan for $19, the salesperson will try to tell you that you have to go with the 40 dollar data plan, but just add the media plan online. You'll get unlimited data and 200 free messages a month.

Dang. Wish Verizon would get on board with a cheaper plan. Mine is something like $50 a month for data.

How much is your phone/internet service on the 680?

I'm glad someone brought up the medianet plan. I was pretty po'ed wheni found out i'd been paying the same price for only 5mb xfer/month. Switched to media net and it's smooth sailing now.

Here's my Treo 650 experience -

The blue tooth GPS is nice, but you can't use the phone or paperless caching at the same time...

I have the delorme street atlas software which connects to the delorme bluetooth powerpack. I use that for navigation. I use Google Maps Mobile for Sat views of the terrain when I'm going to it, or already there. Then, combined with my Foretrex, all my caching is in one hand. and I can multitask.

I don't use cachemate or GSAK, but that's mostly because I never really do more than 3-4 caches per day (OK per month, but still). Instead, I email myself links to the cache pages, go to them one by one, and save the page in bookmarks.

Right now my main problem is internal mem space - I'm down to like 4MB after clearing out my mailbox. I'm going to get an email program that allows for saving emials to a mem card rather than the internal memory. I also plan to make the many, many games to the mem card as well so that'll clear up some space.

In all, I'm very happy w/ the Treo and haven't come close to damaging it yet. Be sure to visit http://www.mytreo.net - It'll change your life..:lol: So much software there it's rather sick.

I love talking Treos. Feel free to ask anything or just chat. I'm always willing...

--MGb

I'm now using a Motorola i870 on Sprint Nextel (unlimited data plan for $15/month) and the Geocache Navigator app that's featured on the GC.com front page. I figured, why mess with more than one software program? I can use the phone screen to find the nearest cache, read the cache page, study topo maps, street maps and aerial photos, navigate to the cache, (hopefully) find it, and log my find. All in one application, and with no advance preparation except remembering to carry my phone. Add in the cost of the Geocache Navigator and it's still cheaper than some of the plan quotes I saw above.

Has anyone used a blackberry with any of the cache proggies? I don't think cachemate is compatable but I'm not sure about gpxview

I'm using a Samsung Blackjack and upload HTML files created by GSAK to it. The entire cache pages, logs and hints are available on the phone and the WAP site is there if I need it. If gpxview won't work, you can always do it my way.

Ahh-just the person I wanted to hear from. I'm looking into this phone...how intuitive is it getting the GC pages onto the Blackjack? Does GSAK make it as easy as the palm series?

BTW-what do you think of this phone? I'm considering this or the Treo 680.

Is anyone using a treo 700wx with the windows mobile operating system? I'm considering that one.

I've been using my Treo 700w for over a year now. Paired with Globalsat BT359w, it can't be beat. Well, except for the 700wx. Since it has more usable memory than the 700w, you should have no problems.

Cachemate and the treo make an awesome caching combo.

Ok this has probably been answered elsewhere but since I have the audience I need here I will just ask you guys/gals. When I copy the .loc file from geocachers and then import it in GSAK I dont see any of the pertinent information such as decription and hints. Also having the logs handy on it would be great too. I did manage to move over files to the my TungstenC and again still no description what is the newbie missing here. Also I paid on the site for a premium and its over a couple of days and still not active premium, does weekends count toward the couple of days it takes to become active?

Thanks for the help, OP sorry for the hijack.

I am think of getting a Plam treo or palm t/x. I like the treo cause of the keyboard but I also like the t/x with it's large screen. my current palm uses the on screen keyboard. which is fine for me. The treo is nice.

I have been looking at some on ebay, saw alot of 650's and 680's there are a few 700's.

I am with Rogers wireless GSM. I am wondering if all unlocked gsm treo's will work with my current rogers sim card?