Transfer maps to vista cx problem

jschuchert

I just installed my 1gb micro sd card and tried to install Metroguide my vista cx. This is an older version of MG (allows auto-routing) but that should be immaterial. I opened Mapsource, selected the maps to transfer, attached and turned on the vista cx, selected 'Send to Device', USB, and got the message about "No compatible gps devices are available'. Control panel indicates a garmin device is connected and running properly. I even uninstalled and re-installed which it found again. It didn't matter whether I connected the usb directly to the computer or to a hub. I got the same results. When I first got the device with the installed 64 mb card, I can't recall having any problems transferring the maps. Is my procedure correct or am I missing something? Some help will certainly be appreciated.

I think there is no internal mapspace, so it sounds like it doesn't see the card. Reseat the card perhaps?

Does the PC see the card in Mass Storage Mode or whatever it's called?

I reseated the card but no change. I don't know where to look for the second part of your answer. Please explain a little more. I also deleted my maps and just entered a waypoint which shouldn't go to the card but got the same "No gps available message. I also replaced the original 64 mb card but it didn't make a difference. If it were the cable then the PC wouldn't show up in device manager, would it?

I think I remember seeing this when I first tried connecting my Vista CX a couple weeks ago.

I did a couple things:

1: I updated the firmware in the GPS. (See Garmin website for latest firmware for your model.)

2: You have to install the drivers AFTER you install MapSource. So use the uninstaller and add/remove programs to remove both MapSource AND the GPS USB drivers.

3: Reinstall MapSource.

4: Reinstall the drivers.

5: Start MapSource on your computer.

6: Connect and turn on your GPS (does not matter which order you do these 2 things.)

7: Go to the Main Menu ----> Setup ---> Interface on your GPS.

8: Make sure the "USB Mass Storage" is highlited (yellow) at the bottom of the screen.

9: Click "Enter" on your GPS click-stick

10: Click on "Download to your GPS"

11: The widow "Send To Device" will pop-up, wait about 5 seconds for it to recognize your GPS.

12: "Removable Disk (F:\)" will come up in the drop-down menu.

You're ready to transfer what you like!

Edited by Isaiah 40:31

I think I remember seeing this when I first tried connecting my Vista CX a couple weeks ago.

I did a couple things:

1: I updated the firmware in the GPS. (See Garmin website for latest firmware for your model.)

2: You have to install the drivers AFTER you install MapSource. So use the uninstaller and add/remove programs to remove both MapSource AND the GPS USB drivers.

6: Connect and turn on your GPS (does not matter which order you do these 2 things.)

8: Make sure the "USB Mass Storage" is highlited (yellow) at the bottom of the screen.

11: The widow "Send To Device" will pop-up, wait about 5 seconds for it to recognize your GPS.

Thank you Isaiah. It's late tonight so will do it in the morning. I appreciate your answer.

I did a couple things:

Ok, I believe I know what the problem was. I didn't have the most recent Mapsource software. I could have sworn I installed the Trip and Waypoint manager from the disk that came with the device but maybe not. I tried transferring the maps on my laptop but it shut down after an hour since there wasn't any activity except downloading to my device. I will do it on the desktop, too, but it is now grinding away on the LT again after I made new power settings. Since a 1gb card won't handle the whole US, I might try to pick up another one (or 512 mb) and use each for different map sets. Thanks to those who contributed to this thread.