One of a kind geocoin

blazerfan

Well I am a former geocoin addict, but I'm proud to say that I haven't purchased a coin in months. However while I've given up the hard core collecting it never gets out of your blood. I've toyed with the idea of making my own geocoins again, but I wanted something unique and I think I've found it.

So to test my skills I made a special FTF geocoin for the cache blazerfan & SallyC's Revenge

51af3077-e440-4a2a-acb2-79f069ae9c3b.jpg

I made it from a product called Art Clay Silver. I would link to a site but I think that might be against forum rules. A web search will bring up plenty of places to learn about it and buy it. I don't know if anyone here has tried making coins from this as I haven't been following the forum much. But when fired the clay burns off leaving 99.9% pure silver. I "minted" the coin using rubber stamps, but ended up having to carve the lettering in as my stamp didn't leave a good impression (will have to experiment more). After firing I ended up with a nice chunk of shiney silver. Then I used Liver of Sulfur to turn it black. Then I polished it to the desired level of antique look. I think the end result is much like an ancient coin.

Per coin the price is more then a regular geocoin, but it is a great treasure for special caches.

Edited by blazerfan
Good to "see" you again. Your coin was one of the very first that I traded for (oh so many years ago :D ).

A kealia shot glass is still one of my favorite trade items. I have it sitting out on display... which is better then most other sig items I have sitting in a box. Though I was using a blue marker a few days back and notice it was an AtlantaGal sig item.

As far as a return to old school I would have had a new geocoin made already but I'm trying to buy a house. Also I had been so busy with work that a lot of the last people I ever traded with would probably never trade with me again because it took me so long.

I want people to get out and search for my new cache and the caches that inspired it so badly that I almost offered my original Moun10Bike coin. But like a good collector I can't give it up just yet. Though I will admit that while I'm looking into buying a house I often look at eBay and wonder just how much I could get. If you hear of me offering to trade geocoins for appliances latter don't be overly surprized.

Hello Blazerfan.

Is it true that this Art Clay Silver stuff actually costs more than it's weight in silver bullion?

Yes, quite a bit more. It is much easier to work with however. Of course hopefully anything you make from it should have a slightly higher value to someone then the melt value of the silver.

I made it from a product called Art Clay Silver. I would link to a site but I think that might be against forum rules. A web search will bring up plenty of places to learn about it and buy it.

Your right! After a quick search, not only did I find out a lot about it, but there is a retailier in little ole Aiken, just downtown!!!! Very cool!!!I'm on my way there now!

Hello Blazerfan.

Is it true that this Art Clay Silver stuff actually costs more than it's weight in silver bullion?

Aloha all -

I've used silver clay quite a bit - and it is a lot of fun (but it can be frustrating and stressful sometimes!). It is more expensive than silver - mainly due to the costs of manufacturing. The clay is composed of ultra-fine particles of pure silver and an organic "binder" that (along with a small amount of water) holds the silver bits together until you fire it. During firing, the water and organic binder burn away, and the silver particles fuse together. The end result is actually porous (on a microscopic level).

The first versions of silver clay shrunk drastically during firing (some almost 50%). This was good (you could make some REALLY detailed small pieces) and bad (sizing rings was tricky). Newer versions of the clay are virtually shrink free. Be sure to check the shrinkage rate of the clay you are buying. If you are REALLY feeling wealthy, you can try your hand at the uber-expensive gold clay! :)

Cool coin Blazerfan!

Tiki

Edited by tiki

Wow! BF! A voice from (nearly!) home!

I miss caching in SO so-o-o much...

You and SallyC need to come to Maine to cache.

But, back to the original topic...

Being a person who makes her own jewelry, I've been 'playing with' silver clay for years. It is an expensive medium to experiment with, but the results (even the off ones) are always cool.

This would be an excellent way to play with a coin design before sending it off to a minter, me thinks.

Anyway, say "Hi!" to your uncle and aunt for me. We really miss you all! Any cool Pizza Events lately?