Extreme Cache Event on St Kilda, Scotland.

If anyone has a Memory Map track log image from the trip, I'd love to see it :D

Sorry it has taken so long... This is a track of the trip out to the island on 1:800K and 1:50K maps:

StKildaTrack.JPG

StKildaTrack2.JPG

Unfortunately I was too busy taking pictures out the back to set it off for the return,

Helen

Woohoo! My St Kilda Mail Boat letter has arrived!

For those not in the know, we dropped a small wooden 'boat' with letters to ourselves overboard by Stac an Armin off Boreay. Paul (Golem) had brought it along. The idea being it would drift to Lewis or Harris and be found. In the past, the idea was used on St Kilda for emergency communication with the mainland/long island. It must have washed up somewhere as someone found it, dried out the contents and posted the letters out.

Reading the enclosed letter, it landed on Baleshare, an island just north of Benbecula and was found on July 15th at NF788582 by Gwen Evans of North Uist. Here's a map: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=78...p=newsearch.srf I also got the envelope from Henry & Linda, which has no letter...

Anyone else got theirs?

Yep, the one we sent to our two nieces has arrived in Chorley, Lancs this am. No details as yet but will post later when/if have more info.............

Would appreciate ours back Paul, will send sae if reqd. Oh, we couldnt think what to write to ourselves <_<

L&H

Edited by L8HNB

I was sitting at work having a brew first thing when someone told me the postcard had arrived - I was delighted, it's now on the notice board ;)

Just returned home to find another one among all my daughter's birthday cards :mad:

The postmark is from Balinvalich on the isle of Benbecula - could you copy out the text of the letter from Gwen Edwards please Paul?

"We found your mailboat on Baleshare on Sunday 15th July – a relatively quick passage from St Kilda – unfortunately your letters were not sealed well and all were stuck together.

We did send them all on though, apart from the enclosed which had no associated letter.

From the position on the beach my guess is that your mailboat had come ashore a few days earlier, but being at the bottom of Baleshare NF 788 582, few folk had passed by.

I hope you are delighted with your mailboat being successful and so quick.

Best Wishes,

Gwen Evans"

Have you emailed her to say thank-you on behalf of us all BTW?

A.

I have. :unsure: I also added a link to the cache page - I thought she might like to see some pictures of the boat being launched. I also emailed Angus and told him, I asked him to let Seamus know too...

I also googled Gwen Evans and she appears to be an RSPB warden, there's a video interview from a few years ago about the effect of mink on native species - I wonder if this is our lady...?

As an aside, I think it was Benbecula where they were trying to get rid of hedgehogs for the same reason a few years ago.

Hedgehogs - interesting conunderum. Yes, they are cute but so are baby lapwings and the like!

According to this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4163822.stm

the cull is on benbecula and Uist but I believe its happening on the Outer Hebredies generally and may also be happening on some of the other Scottish Islands. It is a bit out of date though.

I was also told by "a man who knows" that the ones that were caught and tranferred to a more suitable location nearly all died from the upheaval and the local population, hedgehogs that is, not wanting them there.......

From talking to the locals they are trying to rid the outer herbrides of hedgehog, mink and rabbits as all have been introduced over the last few years and all are causing problems killing and eating the natural wildlife. Didn't realise until last week that mink are actually really good swimmers and will swim long distances out to remote islands to kill birds. Over the last few years there has been a big reduction in the number of birds on the islands.

Another piece of useless information with absolutely nothing to do with caching. While out on the islands though we did look out for your mailboxes in the hope of another cacher finding them, it wasn't to be.

Edited by Team Incredible