Extreme Cache Event on St Kilda, Scotland.

Bumpty-Bump-Bump :(

Just two months til this grand adventure. I'm doing my best to track the operators of the helicopter link to the island down and also trying to find anyone else offering day trips to the island. The option of bringing your own boat is still available, and if you don't have one, here's a handy link. B):)

Update! I'd missed it, but the YOSM cache has visited the trig on Hirta so as well as the event, there should be at least one other cache to find.

Edited by Simply Paul

I suggest anyone else keen to come:

i) Puts a 'bagging' note on the cache page. It worked for parkmoy, but I'd be surprised if anyone else drops out.

ii) Looks into chartering another boat or finding someone with a yacht on the west coast, along with any other cachers keen to come to share costs.

iii) Finds the details of the helicopter which goes there. I've tried and can't but someone else might be able to track them down.

Although the Orca is booked up, this event is still very much open to anyone who can get to the island on the day. By hook or by crook!

Edit: I just spoke to Annelie who is the Ranger on St Kilda (really clear line! You'd think she was in the next street, not 40+ miles out in the north Atlantic!) and she wants to double check with Susan, who looks after the Western Isles about the NTS's position on geocaching on the island. But in principle, she should be ok with a small/micro cache somewhere sensible, with a nice clear clue!

I also warned her there's (at least) 10 of us coming on the 22nd of June, and confirmed we're leaving our dogs, and rats, at home :laughing:

Edited by Simply Paul

I've been thinking about this - I'll speak to the warden and islands manager about it when I call them again tomorrow. They've not said yes to a physical yet, and an EarthCache would make a lot of sense as an all-year-round cache.

Edited by Simply Paul

Good news for L8HNB, bad news for parkmoy: David's had to pull out for a good reason, so Henry is expected to get the seat. I've emailed everyone with details so the changes can be made.

If anyone else wants to get on the waiting list, (there isn't one at the moment!) then please put a bagging note on the cache page.

More news: I just spoke to Susan of the NTS again and I've got a green light for a physical, so long as the Ranger is happy with where I find for it. I'm going to make enquiries about an EarthCache too, perhaps based on the cliffs/sea stacs - something you can access from the sea in case it's too rough to land there - as it often is in winter. Hope that makes sense. :o

This is your one month alarm call :laughing:

I spoke to Angus on the phone the other day and the Kev/Henry swap is all sorted.

If visitors haven't already booked their Uig (Skye)-Harris or Ullapool-Harris crossings with Caledonian MacBrayne -or arranged passage with others coming for the event- now would be the time to do it. The more adventurous might want to get a ferry from Oban to Barra and take the famous flight from the beach there to Benbecula to get a bus to North Uist and then on a ferry (on foot) to Leverburgh. Easy!

Edited by Simply Paul

I'm hoping to make a St Kilda mailboat for the event - if anyone would like to bring a small self addressed postcard or letter feel free.

E8885.jpg

"The 'St Kilda Mailboat'

A St Kilda mailboat is a wooden 'boat', containing a letter, usually sealed in a cocoa tin. A sheep's bladder acts as a float. The first mailboat was sent out as a distress signal in time of famine by John Sands, a journalist, who was stranded on St Kilda during winter of 1876. It was later used by St Kildans as a tourist gimmick.

Mailboats are now sent by St Kilda work parties as part of the ritual of visiting St Kilda. They are carried by the Gulf Stream and usually reach land in Scotland or Scandinavia. Records of mailboats, and where they were washed up, are published in the St Kilda Mail.

A recent mailboat sent with greetings to the new Scottish Parliament arrived within a few weeks!"

Edited by The Golem

Thanks for the warning Paul... we've been so busy that neither of us know what day it is. Having said that H did book all our crossings a few weeks ago. We are going to camp in the campsite above the ferry port in Uig on Skye on the Wednesday, taking the ferry to Tarbert on the Thursday morning. We are then planning to go wild camping: well sort of since we will be in a campervan with everything but a loo or shower. We decided to do it properly and have ordered a book that will allow us to be eco-friendly... "How to Sh*t in the Woods" :laughing: That means we will be staying most likely on the beaches on the west coast south of Tarbert. We are then off up to Lewis and are getting the ferry back to Ullapool for a quick tour of northern Scotland before heading to Snowdonia the following weekend.

Since there are only two of us and we have four seats so we can offer transport while on Harris; let us know if you are interested.

There are no caches on south Harris (there are a couple on Lewis) but there is a trig point that is one of Ye Ole Survey Monuments like the one on St Kilda. We are planning to explore a little on the Thursday and on the day we do not go to St Kilda. We are going to Stornoway (via the caches) on the Sunday before leaving on the Monday.

Looking forward to the adventure :anicute:

Helen and Carolyn

PS How small do you want this postcard/letter?

Just had an email from liz-&-bob, they found and logged GC6308, 2002 A Space Odyssey (on Harris, the only one as far as I know) on the 11.05.07, following my question on the web page asking if it was alive or dead. Its a bit odd as the response was posted before I asked the question! Hols etc presumeably........

We're going straight to Skye, with a brief stop nr. Chorley on the Tuesday night, going over to Harris on the Thursday evening. We'll then work our way back home over the following week or so.

Can't wait to go now, even prayed to those Gods of weather and waves to be kind!

Oh, we have a geocoin that came from the Jersey Royals that has done the furthest south (GCWNGX - L'Avarizon) to log through and then go on up to Unst, Shetland - its aim being to do the 4 N,E,S & W caches. We'll log it on to the web page when I get the chance.

Mail boat: Good thinking Paul. I had toyed with doing the same thing, but hadn't got as far as finding a pig's bladder or anything. Let us know what you call a small letter :D

Travel plans: Thanks girls, it sounds like you're all ready to enjoy your home from home to the full. If anyone needs a lift, perhaps they can help - contact them via their profile. By the way, which trig point on Harris is the YOSM one?

Harris cache: Thanks Henry, even though it's been disabled a while, the 2001 cache seems live and I hope to be able to get it sorted out with some accurate co-ords and made 'healthy' again while I'm up there.

My travel plans: I'm driving up from Bucks, via Northampton to collect Kevin (silver fox) on Tuesday the 19th, hoping to get to Fort William or beyond before stopping for the night.

20th-Wednesday is Skye (via the ferry from Mallaig) and perhaps Raasay, ending up in the north, near Uig.

21st-Thursday starts with an early crossing to Harris, and ends in a tent on a beach somewhere, or a B&B if it's raining.

22nd-Friday (weather willing) starts early at Leverburgh, boat ride, St Kilda, boat ride, and up to Tarbert to the Harris Hotel bar for drinks, a bath and bed.

23rd-Saturday hopefully caching across Lewis, leaving Kevin there with John when I catch the late ferry back to Skye (may be swapped with Friday)

24th-Sunday (everything's closed on the western isles, inc. the ferry, but Skye and the mainland should be 'ok') Heading back to the mainland via the bridge to check on a couple of my caches, and maybe find some more along the west coast.

25th -Monday and beyond. Working in Scotland, coming home when I'm finished.

If anyone else would like a lift, especially off Harris (and across Skye back to the mainland?) as I know I'll have a seat free for that and would love to share the ferry cost with someone, please let me know! :D

Edited by Simply Paul

By the way, which trig point on Harris is the YOSM one?

The one on top of Tiorga Mor !!

a07a672c-9b68-4902-aedc-52462395ad1b.jpg

Travel plans:-

I'll be driving up from Luton on Wednesday 20th and staying overnight in a Travelodge in Dumbarton

Thursday it's on up to Uig and the evening ferry to Tarbert

Friday, St Kilda (weather permitting)

Saturday I plan a relaxing days caching on Harris

Sunday, an early start and an assault on the above mentioned Tiorga Mor. Weather and time permitting, I plan to push on northeast and hit another trig on Taran Mor and then a longish hike back to the car.

Monday recovering from Sunday and the evening ferry back to Skye and a nights sleep in a hotel in Plockton

Tuesday... homeward bound.

Edited by Pharisee

Yet more exciting news! Just sneaking in under the 14-day minimum listing period is this event on the evening of the 22nd of June at the Harris Hotel, Tarbert, Harris. Read all about it here. Originally suggested by Silver-Fox, he's too busy to organise it so I've taken the job myself. It's a great location overlooking the town(ette) of Tarbert and the hotel's website paints a good impression of the establishment too. The bar is open to non-residents and food is served in the dinning room 'til 9pm - They don't do bar meals though.

I hope visiting and local cachers alike will come along, from 8.30pm!

Blimey, that will treble our attendance at Event caches!

Nice one Paul. We were talking about the trip (in fact I've thought of little else geocaching wise) and was thinking things had gone a bit quiet, Lull before the storm? Hope not!!!!!!

Our plans for the trip may have to change due to my Father having a stroke. We still plan to come but instead of a leisurly cache rich journey back it may be a straight drive home. Its difficult to call at the moment, but will post updates here. It seems that this place on the trip is jinxed!

Weathers been good up there the last few days, well on Islay anyway by the look of SK and the Springwatch crew. Hope its like that for the crossing.

H

This is your one-week alarm call!

Would everyone who's coming, who hasn't already given me your phone number, please let me know it.

Looking forward to seeing and meeting all you intrepid explorers while I'm in the Outer Hebrides. Have a safe journey and keep your fingers crossed for fair weather. :D

Paul

Would be great if anyone could help us in our mission to have GC6308, 2002 A Space Odyssey" re-enabled. We were up there last year and failed to find it, it has since been replaced by the Purple Penguins but I've sent emails to the owner asking him to reenable it, but nothing so far. Its definitely there and we're planning to do it as our 200 cache early in July.

This is probably the longest walk to a cache on the islands, maybe a whole mile :) but the beach and the temple make it worth it. a great spot for bbq's on the beach, not a great spot for campervans as you have to leave the cars outside some houses.

Tried to convince the T-Girls last weekend that it is complusary to sing the Syke Boat song on the ferry from mallaig to Skye. Have been trying to convince the incredible boys of the same thing, not sure I've managed to convince any one yet........

Would be great if anyone could help us in our mission to have GC6308, 2002 A Space Odyssey" re-enabled. We were up there last year and failed to find it, it has since been replaced by the Purple Penguins but I've sent emails to the owner asking him to reenable it, but nothing so far. Its definitely there and we're planning to do it as our 200 cache early in July.

This is probably the longest walk to a cache on the islands, maybe a whole mile :) but the beach and the temple make it worth it. a great spot for bbq's on the beach, not a great spot for campervans as you have to leave the cars outside some houses.

Tried to convince the T-Girls last weekend that it is complusary to sing the Syke Boat song on the ferry from mallaig to Skye. Have been trying to convince the incredible boys of the same thing, not sure I've managed to convince any one yet........

Sorry but the containers will be uplifted by someone attending the event [with the permission of the cache owner] and the cache Archived when they are. This is because certain issues with it can not be resolved.

Sorry but the containers will be uplifted by someone attending the event [with the permission of the cache owner] and the cache Archived when they are. This is because certain issues with it can not be resolved.
Could whoever's been tasked with the job of removal please wait until after Friday the 22nd as there will be several cachers and teams going for this and it'd be a shame to remove the only cache on the island before they've had a chance of finding it.

Deceangi, if the reason for removal is lack of a local maintainer, I may be able to (verifiably) convince someone from the area to look after it. Sounds like the box is in ok condition, so it'd be a shame to kill this off if it doesn't need it.

Paul there are several issues with the cache, including the fact that there are 2 containers at different locations the original and a replacement. The owners requested that it was uplifted. With their permission I attempted to find someone to adopt it with no success. Uplifting the containers is now the only option for this cache as it has effectively been abandoned by the owner, and as such no longer meets the guidelines.

As for the time scale for uplifting, I believe it will be after the boat trip and not before.

Paul there are several issues with the cache, including the fact that there are 2 containers at different locations the original and a replacement. The owners requested that it was uplifted. With their permission I attempted to find someone to adopt it with no success. Uplifting the containers is now the only option for this cache as it has effectively been abandoned by the owner, and as such no longer meets the guidelines.

As for the time scale for uplifting, I believe it will be after the boat trip and not before.

Thanks for that. Nothing insurmountable there, as I read it. We need only remove one box, find an adopter (I'll be it if no one else wants to protect this cache) and a local maintainer, then do the 'paperwork'. Would any guildeline/s be unmet then?

If there's a reason or more why the above can't be done, then thanks for the news of the date of its regrettable retirement. :anitongue:

Sorry Paul the request to have the containers uplifted was made by the cache owners, I pushed the boundary's out a bit and made some inquiries to find a local cacher to adopt the cache on my own initiative.

Only cache owners and Groundspeak [in very specific circumstances] can adopt a cache over to someone else. In this case the owner requested that the containers are uplifted and the cache Archived, and Groundspeak will not do a Forced Adoption.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'll have some replacement caches with me, so I'll make some enquiries while I'm on Harris about leaving one there.

As an aside, I've just had the ok from Davie who runs a lighthouse visitors centre that I can place a cache in its land, and that's at the end of Ardnamurchan, the most westerly point on the British mainland. It's a long drive, but looks a wild and wonderful place for a cache.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'll have some replacement caches with me, so I'll make some enquiries while I'm on Harris about leaving one there.

As an aside, I've just had the ok from Davie who runs a lighthouse visitors centre that I can place a cache in its land, and that's at the end of Ardnamurchan, the most westerly point on the British mainland. It's a long drive, but looks a wild and wonderful place for a cache.

Don't forget to put that info in a reviewer note, so that I don't treat it as a vacation cache :o

I've done my A6 (1/4 of A4) sized letter and envelope (unsealed) for Paul's Mail Boat - I hope it's all ready to sail Paul!

Just to say, there will be a video of our adventures on the island in due course. Pray for decent weather for us, as 40-odd miles is a long way in a not-very-big boat.

Deceangi, as if I'd forget such a basic requirement! :(:o

Just to say, there will be a video of our adventures on the island in due course. Pray for decent weather for us, as 40-odd miles is a long way in a not-very-big boat.

I hope you have a permissions sheet for us to sign to say you can film :unsure: C is not too good on boats and my hair tends to go everywhere in the wind: we may not look our best :D

A long drive tomorrow... better get home and to bed!

Helen

Edited by T-girls

Well, I'm about ready to set off - the mailboat is ready (I really hope it floats, it hasn't had it's sea trials yet:) )

My neighbour made the mailboat for me and he mixed the dimensions up a bit :unsure: but we should be able to squeeze a few letters in there...

See you all on Friday :D

Edited by The Golem

Well we are now in Lewis after "rough" camping on Harris for the last two nights since coming back from St Kilda; we really needed showers tonight ;) Rough seas... no idea what you mean. C was asleep for the most of the trip there and H was asleep for most of the trip back. There were some strange smells eminating from the rear of the boat and also the smell of damp when others entered. C was fine on the way back because she was chatting to Angus the skipper in the dry of the cabin.

We hope everyone has a safe trip home... we will be in Snowdonia next weekend after travelling around northern Scotland (chasing counties :D ) As to everyone who missed the trip you will have to read the logs and then plan trips of your own!

Helen and Carolyn

Grebbit.

Just want to take the opportunity to thank everyone who came, and the support crew who didn't make it onto the boat, for making it a wonderful trip. I was very flattered so many cachers wanted to come to, if you have a look at a map, what amounts to the edge of the world. I think everyone enjoyed themselves (even the select group of green cachers on the rough trip back) and I'm already thinking about 2008's adventure event. ;)

Lots of good photos of this one on the cache page. Have a look!

Edited by Simply Paul