Extreme Cache Event on St Kilda, Scotland.

As some forum users may have read on this thread, I've organised a Cache Event on Britain's most remote semi-inhabited islands, St. Kilda.

Just in time it would seem, as boats there get booked up months in advance, I'm discovering! The best deal I've yet been able to find is with Kilda Cruises who sail from Leverburgh, Harris. Daytrips to St Kilda are £140 (£40 deposit, refundable if he can't sail. Other £100 on the day) and demand is such I've not been able to get a group rate or charter the Orca outright. If I can approach Angus with a confirmed party booking, we should be able to secure passage - so if you're interested, please let me know via a note on the cache page ASAP!

Alternatively you can get to St Kilda from a number of other locations including Ullapool and Oban, or perhaps you have the skills and a boat to get there by yourself. Either way, please let me know on the cache page if you plan to come along. I hope to get several cachers to St Kilda as it's a truly stunning place with a rich history and a trip there is guaranteed to be a once-in-a-lifetime adventure, as it's 50 miles west of Harris, in the North Atlantic.

At the time of writing the expected date for the trip is the 22nd or 23rd of June 2007. The dual date is a reflection of the weather off the Outer Hebrides. If the 22nd proves too rough, the trip's put off to the following day. If it's still no-go, you get your deposit (if any!) back and go caching in some of the most beautiful landscape in the world - The Western Isles/coast of Scotland! It's a win/win situation :D :D

At the time of writing the expected date for the trip is the 22nd or 23rd of June 2007. The dual date is a reflection of the weather off the Outer Hebrides. If the 22nd proves too rough, the trip's put off to the following day. If it's still no-go, you get your deposit (if any!) back and go caching in some of the most beautiful landscape in the world - The Western Isles/coast of Scotland! It's a win/win situation :D :D

Does this mean that event goers will have to book accommodation from the night of the 21st through to the morning of the 24th??

Just as long as there is a 5 start hotel I am in. :-)

Joking apart I do like the idea and do want to go. My only concern is the date may be a little close to Pyoung1s proposed three peaks challenge so jot me down as a possible subject to coming to ones senses.

Strangely I do have some family on Skye so it might be a good excuse to combine two trips in to one.

Does this mean that event goers will have to book accommodation from the night of the 21st through to the morning of the 24th?
Have to? No. I'm just going to turn up on Harris and find a B&B if I can. Failing that it'll be a tent, and failing that I'll sleep in my car. It's good to stay flexible! The vagaries of the weather are beyond my control, and at least the plan as it stands at the moment gives attendees two opportunities to get to St. Kilda. Since Harris has a lot to offer for a couple or more days, the possible extra time on the island shouldn't be regarded as a disadvantage anyway.

Just as long as there is a 5 start hotel I am in. :-)

Joking apart I do like the idea and do want to go. My only concern is the date may be a little close to Pyoung1s proposed three peaks challenge so jot me down as a possible subject to coming to ones senses.

Strangely I do have some family on Skye so it might be a good excuse to combine two trips in to one.

Feel free to Google for a 5-Star hotel Alistair :D

I've kept in contact with Paul 'Pyoung1s' about dates and can assure you I'll avoid conflicting with the 3-peaks at all costs (which is a shame, as there's loads of room free on the 29th/30th boat!) partly because it'd be rude to clash, but mostly because I want to attend that one too! Hopefully two Scottish Highland/west coast events only a week apart will draw even more Southerners north.

Family on Skye eh? They don't run a B&B do they?... :D

I'd love to come, it's a brilliant place for diving, but unfortunately....... :D

I trust that you will be popping there a few times beforehand to set lots of new caches for all you eventers!!!!! :D

FMC

Unfortunately what? So long as you set foot on the island that's good enough to claim an event attended log in my book, and it's possible the skipper could then take you back to the boat to go to do some diving. The water's very clear and there's sea caves and all sorts, I read. If it's money, you've over 5 months to save up :D

The plan (so long as I can comply with NTS rules, which don't sound unreasonable thus far) is to leave a cache while we're there, so there should be a bonus find as well as the event plus any caches you can mop up on Harris, or wherever you find yourself. :D

Latest news: Just had this email from the owner of the Orca (at £140pp, the cheapest boat to St Kilda I've managed to find. Other methods of getting to the island are available.)

Hi Paul

Good news for you the 22/23rd is now free for you as the other group moved to a different date I will put you down for 12 seats at the moment and once you have finalised your numbers you can let me know how many seats you require then I can top up the rest

regards angus

Wonderful news! This fixes the event date as the 22nd (or 23rd if the 22nd is too rough to get there) of June. My £40 deposit will be on its way to him over the weekend and I'd urge others keen to come via this route (from Harris - see http://www.kildacruises.co.uk/) to not hang about either. Strictly 'first come first served'!

This has also been added to the cache page as a note.

Edited by Simply Paul

You read my mind - I was looking at those earlier. :ph34r:

There's also St Kilda expedition 1995 which features Britain's most remote trigpoint around 6mins in.

Bonus info: Caledonian MacBrayne's Summer 2007 timetable with details of ferry times and prices from Mallaig (mainland) to Armadale (south Skye), Uig (north Skye) to Tarbert (Harris) and Ullapool (mainland) to Stornoway (Lewis). Closer to the time we might be able to come up with a car-share plan to minimise costs. PLEASE NOTE, THERE'S NO FERRY SERVICE ON SUNDAYS! (Thanks to HighlandNick for pointing that out!)

Edited by Simply Paul

Helpful info from Angus:

ACCOMODATION, ISLE OF HARRIS

Hotels (not sure if any ar 5-star Alistair!)

Rodel Hotel – 01859 520210 www.rodelhotel.co.uk

Harris Hotel – 01859 502154 www.harrishotel.com

Ardhasaig House – 01859 502500 www.ardhasaig.co.uk

Macleod Motel – 01859 502364 www.macleodmotel.com

Scarista House - 01859 550238 www.scaristahouse.com

B&Bs in and around Leverburgh

Grimisdale Guest House – 01859 520460 www.grimisdale.com

Mrs Kathryn Campbell – 01859 520259

Carminish House - 01859 520400 www.carminish.com

Caberfeidh House, Mrs Mackenzie – 01859 520276

B&Bs in and around Tarbert (further north, where the ferry comes in)

Mrs Ina Morrison - 01859 502119

Ceol na Mara, Mrs Marlene Mitchell – 01859 502464 www.ceolnamara.com

Tigh na Mara, Mrs Flora Morrison - 01859 502270

BUNKHOUSES

An Bothan, Leverburgh. Ruari Beaton – 01859 520251

Rockview Bunkhouse, Tarbert – 01859 502081 or 01859 502211

Drinishader Bunkhouse – 01859 511255

SELF CATERING

Mrs Christina Campbell, ‘Fasgadh Studio’, Tarbert – 01859 502060 www.fasgadh.com

Kirklea Terrace Cottages, Tarbert – 01859 502364

Cheap ferry to Skye £8.50 each way (£15 DAY return) for up to 4 people per car (£1pp per crossing for other car passengers/foot passengers), as opposed to CalMac's £18.40 + £3.40 for the driver/per passenger per crossing (£31.50 + £5.80 for a 5 day return ticket) sailing to/from Mallaig and Armadale.

The bridge to Skye from the Kyle of Lochalsh is now free (and has been since the end of 2004) as the government bought the bridge from its private owners at the cost of £27m in taxpayers money. Almost makes you want to go over it to get your money's worth! It is a fair drive further north than Mallaig* though, so you'll need to factor petrol costs into your journey plans - if you intend to travel via Skye. Other routes to St Kilda are available.

*Looking at a map, if you land on Skye at the far south of the island you still have to drive a long way north, so perhaps it just about balances out.

Coughbumpcough :cool:

I've found some interesting St Kilda stories at bbc.co.uk:

31/1/01: Cultural boost for remote islands.

18/7/02: Islands at the edge of the world.

9/8/05: Far-flung pub calls last orders.

20/8/05: Sandi Toksvig talks about St Kilda on Radio 4 programme 'Excess Baggage'. You can skip about 14 mins in, and I don't think her guest really means the cliffs are 14,000ft high... :cool:

26/8/05: Last St Kildan on pilgrimage home.

Historic films of Scotland, including footage taken on St Kilda in 1929.

And best of all, Bill Oddie Goes Wild - St Kilda. This one has a link to a good video clip towards the top right corner of the page.

Away from the BBC, I've found these:

The Trig point at the edge of the world.

A lovely photoset from the islands on flickr.

Some more info and photos. I want my picture taken on the Lover's Stone!

Some photos and video clips taken by a visitor.

St Kilda on Wikipedia.

James Smith's beautiful pictures.

Enjoy! (btw, 3000th post :wub: )

Edited by Simply Paul

Me too! Update - That's three confirmed, one very strong maybe (let me know Kev!) and several wavering 'keen to come but...'s. I'm going to check with Angus (the Orca from Leverburgh. Other methods of getting to St Kilda are available. Including helicopter -a wmv video) to see how many spaces are still available on his boat for the 22nd of June (with the 23rd as a back-up date).

As St. Kilda is a World Heritage Site, shouldn't we consider an EARTHCACHE on the Island?
In the accepted spirit of caching, I'd rather place a physical cache, but if this isn't possible, an Earthcache is Plan B.

Edit: If a physical is left, it will be in an area away from the potential of any possible damage to either the historic remains on the island, or any part of its ecology/geology. This will be done with the help of the NTS warden, and could well end up on, or very close to, one of the modern buildings on the island - but not an MOD one!

Edited by Simply Paul
As St. Kilda is a World Heritage Site, shouldn't we consider an EARTHCACHE on the Island?
In the accepted spirit of caching, I'd rather place a physical cache, but if this isn't possible, an Earthcache is Plan B.

Edit: If a physical is left, it will be in an area away from the potential of any possible damage to either the historic remains on the island, or any part of its ecology/geology. This will be done with the help of the NTS warden, and could well end up on, or very close to, one of the modern buildings on the island - but not an MOD one!

I was thinking of BOTH.

I've made enquires with the GSA via the Earthcache website to see if the site would be suitable.

I've made enquires with the GSA via the Earthcache website to see if the site would be suitable.
And they have said YES :P
There goes my plans for the UK's most remote cache! Say hello to my new plan: The UK's most remote physical cache!*

Seriousy, well done Balders - do you want the name of my contact at the NTS?

*Until someone else sticks a micro under a rock on the back of the island :P :P

Transport update!

Although there are several ways to reach St Kilda for this event, so far three cachers have chosen to join me on the Orca. There are 12 places in total, and two more have been sold to an Iain Broadhurst, who I don't think is a cacher- unless you know differently? This means there are just six places left on the June 22nd sailing (other routes to St Kilda are available), so if you're thinking about coming, but just need a little nudge, please consider the vanishing number of places to be it! :( :(

More news when I have it.

Edit. This is quite nice: Radio4 Woman's Hour - Bringing to life the old songs of St Kilda

Edited by Simply Paul

You can count two more in :rolleyes:

Although it will be a quick drive up because we cannot leave till the wednesday morning, H has booked off work, C is on her summer hols from uni and the deposit cheque for the Orca was sent this morning.

Now just need to finalise the logistics...

Helen and Carolyn

Bambi&Thumper have confirmed they'd like two seats too, so, with the T-girls and Silver-Fox, there's just one place on the Orca left. I have to stress that other ways of getting to St Kilda are still available, and the event is still very much open to all-comers. Please let me know how you intend to reach the island (there's talk of a yacht?)

I asked Angus to allocate seats on a first come first served basis, so if your cheque arrives on the same day as someone else who wants the final place on his boat, it's going to be potluck as to whose envelope is opened first. I can take no responsibility for travel disappointment!

P.S. Great to have you all onboard!

Me too HH, me too!

It appears the Orca is now full, so alternative travel options should be investigated by others keen to come. It seems the T-Girls have been beaten to the last seats at the moment, but I'm seeing what I can sort out with Angus as I know they're very keen to come.

J33P KN has spoken about a yacht, there are multi-day Western Isle cruises going from Oban and Ullapool (£500+, but they do feed you!) which visit St K. and there's the service helicopter, but I don't have contact details for the owners of that. They may not carry non MOD/NTS people anyway, and even if they do, it'll not be cheap. More info when I have it.

Edited by Simply Paul

After a quick neb at their website it would appear that most of the fannying about has already been done, the performance was recorded last year - I imagine (hope) any live broadcast will go out in the evening - after we've left... :ph34r:

b50d28ad-08b3-46d7-bf24-2ad48b5df6a0.jpg

3bClimbing.jpg

Why...you can hardly tell them apart... :ph34r:

Edited by The Golem
After having watched a piece on Countryfile today about St. Kilda and one of the last remaining people to be born there <snip>
Yes, it was an interestng piece and proved beyond all reasonable doubt that this event is not w/c accessible! :ph34r::ph34r::o
There's a landing craft with ramp which rams the beach, that goes from Oslo to the island monthly... Everyone is very welcome Wendy! :P

Shame I missed it - any idea if it's repeated, available online, or if anyone has a recording...?

Just letting attendees know that several cachers (well, three that I know of) have booked the night of Friday the 22nd of June at the Harris Hotel in Tarbert, where the ferries to and from Ullapool and Uig on Skye land. It'd be nice to have a post-event drink in the bar there (if the weather was too rough to get to St Kilda on Friday, it might be a pre-event drink) with any other cachers who might be about on the island. :sad:

Just letting attendees know that several cachers (well, three that I know of) have booked the night of Friday the 22nd of June at the Harris Hotel in Tarbert, where the ferries to and from Ullapool and Uig on Skye land. It'd be nice to have a post-event drink in the bar there (if the weather was too rough to get to St Kilda on Friday, it might be a pre-event drink) with any other cachers who might be about on the island. :sad:

First round is on me, so don't be late.......

Hi all,

To save some of my hard earned, I shall be leaving my car on Skye and going over to Harris as a foot passenger. On the Friday (or Saturday) can I cadge a lift from Tarbet to Leverborough and back from some kind-hearted soul?

Alternatively, if anyone is going past Birmingham, do you fancy a car share?

Hotel not yet booked but I'm hoping for the Ceol Na Mara, Tarbet.

Kev

I think we are making this a 5 difficulty! After our first cheque did not get to Angus and a second had to be sent, we had confirmation a few weeks ago that we are booked on the boat :D

While we will be coming up in the camper and going past Birmingham we will be rushing up on the wednesday as far as we can get, camping over night and getting the ferry across to Harris on the thursday morning so we can relax. Afterwards we are planning a week long tour of northern Scotland; it will be our main holiday for the year. No problem offering lifts to people while on Harris or possibly up to Lewis to get some caches; we have two spare seats.

We are really looking forward to the trip... just need to organise everything else :D

Helen and Carolyn

C pointed out to me the other day that it is not open access on St Kilda and you had to ask the warden for permission. Is this the case and if so do we know how far we will be allowed to go walking?

Paul has implied about going to the trig point (something we had thought about doing) on the YOSM forum and it looks like it may be included by then :D

It would be nice to have as much of a look round as the time will allow. While I am certainly interested in the history and the life of the people that lived there I am sure the island has plenty more to offer in terms of scenery too,

Helen

There was also some talk about getting a physical cache set up on the island "to commemorate the event" or something. Not being funny, but I don't expect to get the chance to go again (not at £140/p :D ), so is there any chance that it will be in place before the event so that attendees can log it?

Thanks,

B.

PS Really looking forward to it!

Easy answers!

The usual routine is that the NTS warden will meet the boat and welcome us to the island (I need to contact him or her 2-3 weeks ahead of the trip to confirm we're coming) and can advise us on where is ok and where isn't ok to visit, depending on the weather and nesting bird sites. It's a good climb up to the top of the island but I believe the 'recommended tour' takes you up there to see the famous Lovers and Mistress Stones anyway. So long as the warden is happy for us to visit the trig, and lots of people do, judging by lots of online photos, those who want to can.

So long as the warden is ok with it (I've already had a provisional ok from the NTS 'big boss of the Western Isles') I'll place the physical cache somewhere safe in the 'new village' with their assistance and take co-ords. Before we leave I'll give the co-ords and clear clue to the rest of the group. If possible, I'll also update a prepared cache page and set it to 'Live' while still on the island - the warden has internet access. So a second visit shouldn't be required. :rolleyes:

Edited by Simply Paul

Easy answers!

The usual routine is that the NTS warden will meet the boat and welcome us to the island (I need to contact him or her 2-3 weeks ahead of the trip to confirm we're coming) and can advise us on where is ok and where isn't ok to visit, depending on the weather and nesting bird sites. It's a good climb up to the top of the island but I believe the 'recommended tour' takes you up there to see the famous Lovers and Mistress Stones anyway. So long as the warden is happy for us to visit the trig, and lots of people do, judging by lots of online photos, those who want to can.

So long as the warden is ok with it (I've already had a provisional ok from the NTS 'big boss of the Western Isles') I'll place the physical cache somewhere safe in the 'new village' with their assistance and take co-ords. Before we leave I'll give the co-ords and clear clue to the rest of the group. If possible, I'll also update a prepared cache page and set it to 'Live' while still on the island - the warden has internet access. So a second visit shouldn't be required. :rolleyes:

Excellent - Thanks! I didn't think you'd miss the chance to ensure a few visitors to the cache!

B.

Paul has implied about going to the trig point (something we had thought about doing) on the YOSM forum and it looks like it may be included by then :rolleyes:

Helen

As well as a compulsive Geocacher, I am also a radio amateur and am involved with a project called Summits on the Air (www.sota.org.uk) which involves operating a small, portable, radio station from mountain tops. The Trig point on St. Kilda, Conachair, is one of these summits. So far, it has never been "activated" so if we do have the chance of ascending Conachair, I would love to bring my radio gear and set up a station for the short time we would be up there.

Paul has implied about going to the trig point (something we had thought about doing) on the YOSM forum and it looks like it may be included by then :D

Helen

As well as a compulsive Geocacher, I am also a radio amateur and am involved with a project called Summits on the Air (www.sota.org.uk) which involves operating a small, portable, radio station from mountain tops. The Trig point on St. Kilda, Conachair, is one of these summits. So far, it has never been "activated" so if we do have the chance of ascending Conachair, I would love to bring my radio gear and set up a station for the short time we would be up there.

C is an amateur radio opperator too [:cry:] I've seen about transmitting from summits on one of the magazines she has got.

Does the use of amateur radio equipment on the island need permission?

Helen

Edited by T-girls

C is an amateur radio opperator too [:D] I've seen about transmitting from summits on one of the magazines she has got.

Does the use of amateur radio equipment on the island need permission?

Helen

Perhaps Paul could ask the warden, or if prefered, I could do so if Paul has a number?

The equipment is very basic - small low power tranceiver, 7Ahr battery, telescopic fishing pole as a mast, three guys with tent pegs (I bet someone posts something about three guys!) and a couple of lengths of cable pegged down with a couple more tent pegs. Very low impact! Set up time 5 mins (or less but I'm a bit out of practice!).

All fits into / onto a small rucksack.

snow001.jpg