scouting

AtwellFamily

Hi Mike,

I have in my possession a couple of Venturing Geocrew 44 85 geocoin (trackable). Not sure if that was one on your list or not.

I had been wondering whether there would be interest in getting a number of Scouting people in on making a 'generic' Scouting Geocoin - so as to shared the cost... Thoughts?

Cheers,

Craig

Edited by keewee01

Hi Mike,

I have in my possession a couple of Venturing Geocrew 44 85 geocoin (trackable). Not sure if that was one on your list or not.

I had been wondering whether there would be interest in getting a number of Scouting people in on making a 'generic' Scouting Geocoin - so as to shared the cost... Thoughts?

Cheers,

Craig

I am working on artwork right now. That is why I had the question. Will post tomorrow and see that interest there is. I want to try and make it generic but also add the names of those who participated to help make it or were in the group that produce it.

With you that would be 3. Are you an eagle scout?

Hi Mike,

Cheers,

Craig

I am working on artwork right now. That is why I had the question. Will post tomorrow and see that interest there is. I want to try and make it generic but also add the names of those who participated to help make it or were in the group that produce it.

I would be interested in this project.

I am an Eagle Scout.

Though I am NOT an eagle scout, my son got his last year. We remain active in our troop with the creation of a new venture crew this year. Whiile I maintain the troop 832 website, my wife is deeply involved with NYLT and woodbadge training.

I would be very interested in this project!

Hi Mike,

Things are a bit different here in New Zealand. I went through Scouting until I was about 16, and then took a break for few years while I studied, then returned as a Troop Leader and then Area Leader. So, I have a total of about 16 years of Scouting experience. One of my biggest regrets is leaving Venturers and not carrying on to get my Queens Scout Award.

YiS,

Craig

THere are 3 scout coins that i know of, 2 Hoxie scout coins, and Venture crew 4485. all of there icons can be found on my trackables page. Id be very interested in purchasing a scout coin. Im working on my eagle right now! i'd also love to see and Order of the Arrow coin.

I am in Troop 10 Honoeye Falls NY, as well as Venture Crew 10, Honeoye Falls NY.

Edited by ByrnedFish

THere are 3 scout coins that i know of, 2 Hoxie scout coins, and Venture crew 4485. all of there icons can be found on my trackables page. Id be very interested in purchasing a scout coin. Im working on my eagle right now! i'd also love to see and Order of the Arrow coin.

I am in Troop 10 Honoeye Falls NY, as well as Venture Crew 10, Honeoye Falls NY.

Yep, those are three that were sold. There are also some personals that were made by some active Scouters - TMOCM and Brawny Bear are a couple. One thing I wouldn't want to do is detract from the Hoxie Scout project. money raised from those sales are going directly to help send scouts to Jamboree.

Mine is in the works now and I would also be interested in this project. I've been in the program for around 30 years, my father has been active for just over 60 years, and my son received his Eagle two years ago. my son and I are OA Brotherhood members and my father is Vigil. I've been a roundtable commissioner for two years and just signed on for another tour as Assistant Scoutmaster. I was also lucky enough to be in the first Geocache to Promote Scouting course at Philmont last year - and it was EXCELLENT!

YIS

eaglescout.jpg

I have a few people that would like to get in on this. What if we did it like the other group items...I get cost and everyone could buy 50min that wants to participate.

May be able to get you nick or other text engraved above the tracking number.

If you are interested in doing this please email me with Scouting in the subject. I will not be accessible to email until Monday night (Jan 15) so if you don't hear back until then please do not panic.

This would be a great item to give to every scout in a troop. :D

I know the other coin is raising money for a trip to jamboree. If someone wanted these as non-trackable so they could have a nice trade item as the jamboree please contact me. I could figure out a way to add 21st World Scout Jamboree and the troop #. Very cool trade item. :D I remember when I went and all the trading going on.

eaglescout.jpg

I have a few people that would like to get in on this. What if we did it like the other group items...I get cost and everyone could buy 50min that wants to participate.

If you are interested in doing this please email me with Scouting in the subject. I will not be accessible to email until Monday night (Jan 15) so if you don't hear back until then please do not panic.

This would be a great item to give to every scout in a troop. :laughing:

I know the other coin is raising money for a trip to jamboree. If someone wanted these as non-trackable so they could have a nice trade item as the jamboree please contact me. I could figure out a way to add 21st World Scout Jamboree and the troop #. Very cool trade item. :) I remember when I went and all the trading going on.

very cool design. i would suggest putting a fleur de lis on there somewhere, but its awesome either way

eaglescout.jpg

This would be a great item to give to every scout in a troop. :laughing:

I know the other coin is raising money for a trip to jamboree. If someone wanted these as non-trackable so they could have a nice trade item as the jamboree please contact me. I could figure out a way to add 21st World Scout Jamboree and the troop #. Very cool trade item. :) I remember when I went and all the trading going on.

Other than the tracking number, this looks like most any another scout coin that you could get through the catalog, Tooth of Time Traders, or your local Scout Shop. Doesn't stand out much from the crowd.

Only my opinion ...

I like the coin and I like the idea that it is generic, so it would appeal to all scout troops, and not be specific to any particular troop.

I have one son who is an Eagle Scout with all three palms and another son who is a cub scout. We have enjoyed all of the scouting programs. As an adult, I look at scouting as an activity that will definitely carry over into adulthood.

I would definitely be interesting in buying some of them. Please let me know when they are out. I have bought 2 other scout coins. In fact, the Hoxie coin was the first geocoin I bought.

I'm a Queens Scout (Though from some years back) and was involved with the Movement in various parts of the UK, including some 7 years running the Campsite at Gilwell Park , north of London.

Whilst I love the idea of the coin and i'm not sure how to put this... but if this is an International Scouting coin as opposed to an American Scouting item.. it is very American? If that makes sense?

I never made it to Eagle (gasoline and perfume distracted me), but I'd be interested in the coin!

Ah, the infamous "FUMES" disease! We have a few Scout who have contracted it, luckily they became Eagle Scouts before that happened.

I would be interested in a few of these coins, might like to see a different eagle on it, but either way it'll be a seller.

Not sure if it's possible, but wouldn't it be cool if there could be a generic Scout coin that would cover both the Boys and Girl Scouts?

I never made it to Eagle (gasoline and perfume distracted me), but I'd be interested in the coin!

Ah, the infamous "FUMES" disease! We have a few Scout who have contracted it, luckily they became Eagle Scouts before that happened.

I would be interested in a few of these coins, might like to see a different eagle on it, but either way it'll be a seller.

Not sure if it's possible, but wouldn't it be cool if there could be a generic Scout coin that would cover both the Boys and Girl Scouts?

What kind of eagle?

I like that idea!

Me too. Why note one organization on each side?

What kind of idea do you have for the girl scout side? The only logo that i know of is the faces like:

gsusa_cbs.jpg

Other than the tracking number, this looks like most any another scout coin that you could get through the catalog, Tooth of Time Traders, or your local Scout Shop. Doesn't stand out much from the crowd.

Only my opinion ...

I am willing to change it but don't see the coins you are talking about. Can you provide link or picture?

Aside from these coins linked to above, I know I have seen others in the local Scout Store. Some of these are of high quality but I do not think any of what I've seen to date are as good as the geocoins we see produced on a regular basis. Short of being sanctioned by the BSA, copyright limitations prevail.

IMHO, your design is simple and relevant. If manufactured to the same quality as say your personal coin, It's a sure hit!

I want to see this project succeed. :ph34r:

You can find a lot of different Girl Scout images if you do a search for Girl Scout logo. There are 2 different ones:

the traditional :

oldgsa.gif

and modern:

Girl%20Scout%20Logo.jpg

There is also the logo for the WAGGGS (World Association of Girl Guides & Girl Scouts):

gswagggs_sm.gif

The Girl Scouts require permission before using their logo, that is one reason I have never pursued making a GS geocoin. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see one :ph34r:

I was hoping for something internationally generic! Maybe that one is for another day?

I tend to agree. I also would like this to succeed, and I think it's an opportunity to link up several international interests. Best of luck however you decide to move forward.

You can find a lot of different Girl Scout images if you do a search for Girl Scout logo. There are 2 different ones:

the traditional :

oldgsa.gif

and modern:

Girl%20Scout%20Logo.jpg

There is also the logo for the WAGGGS (World Association of Girl Guides & Girl Scouts):

gswagggs_sm.gif

The Girl Scouts require permission before using their logo, that is one reason I have never pursued making a GS geocoin. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see one :ph34r:

Ditto. Mine are in girl scouts also. Would be neat if it was more like a patch -- they are always working towards those patches. So, a geocoin that looks like a patch that was earned for geocaching....I may be onto something here...I may have to work up a design on that one.... :wub:

...Anthus

I am willing to make changes. What color should the backround and fluer de lis be? I am not willing to use logos I don't have permission to. Suggestions are welcome, open to ideas.

Purple is the international scouting colour!

2007 is the international centenary of scouting too.

the traditional :

<snip>

and modern:

<snip>

<snip>

The Girl Scouts require permission before using their logo, that is one reason I have never pursued making a GS geocoin. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see one :lol:

Ditto. Mine are in girl scouts also. Would be neat if it was more like a patch -- they are always working towards those patches. So, a geocoin that looks like a patch that was earned for geocaching....I may be onto something here...I may have to work up a design on that one.... :)

...Anthus

I like that! I am a GS leader (that is taking this year off). Both my older girls are scouts and we would love to see a GS coin. The patch idea is neat....or maybe cookie shaped! :lol:

the traditional :

<snip>

and modern:

<snip>

<snip>

The Girl Scouts require permission before using their logo, that is one reason I have never pursued making a GS geocoin. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see one :lol:

Ditto. Mine are in girl scouts also. Would be neat if it was more like a patch -- they are always working towards those patches. So, a geocoin that looks like a patch that was earned for geocaching....I may be onto something here...I may have to work up a design on that one.... :)

...Anthus

I like that! I am a GS leader (that is taking this year off). Both my older girls are scouts and we would love to see a GS coin. The patch idea is neat....or maybe cookie shaped! :lol:

How about a round coin with "stitches" around the edge, a GC logo with the fleur de lis superimposed over the top of it?

Will think about this and see what I can put together.

Other ideas?

I had 1 for cookies but could be a bit expensive. 3 coins stuck together, Top coin gold, bottom black nickle middle silver. Somehow slide apart or open up the should tracking info.

will work on both.

Maybe each part of the cookie is a trackable coin in its own right. Sold as a set of 3. Just a thought.

Ditto. Mine are in girl scouts also. Would be neat if it was more like a patch -- they are always working towards those patches. So, a geocoin that looks like a patch that was earned for geocaching....I may be onto something here...I may have to work up a design on that one.... :lol:

...Anthus

There are 2 councils that offer a geocaching try-it/badge/IPP...my troop earned the Let's go Geo badge from a New York council. LINK The patches might inspire some ideas.

Other ideas?

OK I'm not a scout, my daughter isn't old enough, but I do have an idea for you. With the mention of BOTH the Girls and Boys scouting, why not make a spinner coin like the micro/regular. You can include whatever relevant sayings needed on the outer ring that does not move, then put the Girl scout portion on one side and the Boy scouts on the other. You can still make it fairly generic that way too. PLUS in order not to take up space, put the tracking on the edge of the coin, similarly to the dream cacher coins that were just made. Either way I know we'll be needing one, my husband was a Scout and has a cache planned with that in mind! It will make a great FTF prize!