City Navigator NT V.8

I'm thinking of purchasing City Navigator 8, but I hate to purchase software only to have an update come out right after I purchase.

Are there any planned updates to Version 8 coming out soon? I'm not exactly clear on Garmin's policy on free updates to the next version and would just as soon wait for a new version if one is coming out any time soon.

I'm thinking of purchasing City Navigator 8, but I hate to purchase software only to have an update come out right after I purchase.

Are there any planned updates to Version 8 coming out soon? I'm not exactly clear on Garmin's policy on free updates to the next version and would just as soon wait for a new version if one is coming out any time soon.

Free updates? Bwa ha ha! :wacko: Actually I think they will upgrade you for free if a new version comes out within 90 days of your purchase. Otherwise they hit for another 75 bucks to upgrade. I'm waiting for the next version myself. :D

I THINK it's a question of when you UNLOCK your maps. If you unlock old maps AFTER the release date of the new version, THEN you're entitled to a free update.

Well, that page has both a release date and ship date and it appears that free updates are offered after the release date which may be some time around April, 2007??

I guess I can wait that long..

The ship date is more like when you'll be able to get your hands on a copy of the software. It has always come out in late summer for the four years that I've been keeping track. That's a long time to go with no maps. There's usually NOT that much more data from one version to the next, and the "new" data is actually anywhere from a year or two old before it gets into the maps (CLICK HERE). I've been running just fine on City Select version 5 since it hit the shelves. I'm gonna break down and update to City Navigator 9 when it comes out.