Is there one brand that is better then the rest?

With the SiRF in the new 60 series I believe the accuracy isn't much of a factor anymore. 100% agree with briansnat's post as to pluses of a Garmin. I've recently introduced 3 people I work with to geocaching; 2 of them bought Garmins and are pretty happy with them. The other one got a Magellan meridian for christmas and says he's had a hard time navigating (the unit). The one experience I have had with a Magellan left me frustrated and wondering why someone made a unit so un user-friendly.

Didn't mean this to be a bash, just my experience. :D

Tried the Lowrance once, hated it

I'd like to try out the new Delorme unit though....

Edited by WolfTrekker

If you had to pick one brand to buy from for you first gps unit, who would it be and why?

Way back when I chose garmin.

Why:

1) Forest service study on reception under tree cover.

2) Auto routing seemed like a great idea.

3) Memory for maps.

4) It was the best on the market and not likely to be made obsolete in a short time.

Today:

Every GPS by Garmin, Lowrance, and Magellan is better than the older ones.

Lowrance wasn't on my GPS radar then but it is now.

Magellan still has a couple of things that I don't like but I like them better now than then.

Garmin still has a couple of things that I don't like so I've never been tempted to upgrade from the original.

Lowrance may be on the map, but hand held routing proved to be very nice and if they didn't offer that I'd drop them again. Garmin still has better handheld routing than Magellan (All three make good Car Based Routing GPSs so they all know how to do the job).

If I were buying today it would still be Garmin (60Cx or 76Cx) but I'd look a lot more closly at the high end Explorist line by Magellan and check out their routing.

Tomorrow:

Brunton, Delorme are coming out with some great ideas, if they can do what Garmin and Magellan do right, and add their bonus features (arial maps, data layers, etc). I may be more than willing to jump ship.

It's hard to get an unbiased answer to a question like that. I deal with GPS's every day mostly Garmin and Magellan, and the odd Lowrance. Presently in my possession are 2 Magellans and 3 Garmins. My first GPS was a Magellan 2000, my second was a Magellan 315. I've owned the Explorist 100, 200, and 300. I've owned Garmin - all the etrex series except the Vista CX. Ive owned the 76C, emap, and Geko. In my personal opinion (and it's only an opinion) I think that Garmin is far ahead of Magellan in construction, display, firmware upgrades, customer service (I only need Garmin service once compared to a dozen different times with Magellan - mostly for firmware issues). I have not owned the 60CX, but am pretty surei t will be my next unit!!

It's hard to get an unbiased answer to a question like that. I deal with GPS's every day mostly Garmin and Magellan, and the odd Lowrance. Presently in my possession are 2 Magellans and 3 Garmins. My first GPS was a Magellan 2000, my second was a Magellan 315. I've owned the Explorist 100, 200, and 300. I've owned Garmin - all the etrex series except the Vista CX. Ive owned the 76C, emap, and Geko. In my personal opinion (and it's only an opinion) I think that Garmin is far ahead of Magellan in construction, display, firmware upgrades, customer service (I only need Garmin service once compared to a dozen different times with Magellan - mostly for firmware issues). I have not owned the 60CX, but am pretty surei t will be my next unit!!

Holy crap!!! I just have one gps'r. Is that bad????

lol...no.....one isn't bad....one is enough!...i just like them a bit too much...i buy one, usually have it for a couple of weeks or months, and sell it again....however, i've been stuck on a legend cx for the last 6 months or so...but i did buy a venture cx a few days ago....hmm...perhaps i have a problem!!

i only have 2 and its been a year my first gps was a 100 then i told my parents that the usb port would help so i went rough on my 100 then i said i need a usb port so i looked around and REI hada major sale on a 210 package including mapsend topo 3d usa a usb cable car adaptrer case mapsend lite and geocache manager for $140 then i said that is a very good buy so i got it now i want to try a garmin and i think i found a good deal at walmart.com you can get a gpsmap 60csx for $357 regularly priced then i go to places like rei and radio shack which charge $450-$500 then i try to get them to lower by telling them it costs 350 normal pricing at walmart and they dont belive me! its like w/e ill just get it at walmart.com

lol...no.....one isn't bad....one is enough!...i just like them a bit too much...i buy one, usually have it for a couple of weeks or months, and sell it again....however, i've been stuck on a legend cx for the last 6 months or so...but i did buy a venture cx a few days ago....hmm...perhaps i have a problem!!

Naw you sound perfectly sane to me.

I Currently have two 60CSx receivers (one for each hand :drama:) and a geko 201 (in case the 2 60s fail :laughing:)

And im looking at getting 3 more GPSr soon, while last year I had 4 others.

All are Garmins so I may be a little bias is saying there the best, however I can confirm that they are rugged units that will last.