school caches

sacred6

I recently asked the officials at my school if they minded if I placed a cache there. They said I could but is that against geocaching rules? :D

I think if you get explicit written permission from the school on school letterhead that a reviewer may give you a pass on it but many us would feel quite uncomfortable especially during school hours lurking around looking for something.

In most cases it does violate the guidelines but exceptions have been made.

Off-limit (Physical) Caches

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches on land maintained by the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

Caches placed on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans.

Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

Caches near or on military installations.

Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

from the guidelines

I don't recommend caches near elementary schools. Security is just too tight there because the kids are too trusting. That's how it should be. I have heard of elementary schools having their own caches, and I think that is just fine, but I still wouldn't recommend it. Little kids are curious and will find it, grandmas are safety conscious and will be alert to strangers on the grounds...maybe if there was a wooded area waaaaay off on one side of the lot??? Nah, I still wouldn't recommend it--but your point of view may differ :D

At a middle school, it depends on where the cache will be. If it can be fairly far away from where the kids go, and if the school offcials realize exactly what will happen--strange, adult people (most often males?) will come by at all hours of the day and night looking for the cache--then I'd say "maybe" (I know of one that has been in place for a few years now with no problem, but it's where the kids never go and the nearest neighbor knows all about the cache and keeps an eye out on everything.

At a high school or a college, as long as you have explicit permission from the principal/dean, it should be fine. Most reviewers don't really need handwritten signed permission, an email will do or perhaps even just their name and telephone number in case the reviewer wants to check on permission. (But your reviewer might ask for that, shouldn't be a problem for you.)

Secondary schools (middle shcool and high school) are much more open to the public, and often have various adult people coming to campus all the time to talk with students, tutor students, use the fitness trail or track for walking, etc. I'd still keep the cache off somewhere the students don't use much, just to help the cache and cachers be discreet and out of the way. High school kids on their way to work can be in a hurry!

Edited by Neos2

would you need a written permision from a state university?

You would need permission. Written permission would be a good idea, and your reviewer would certainly appreciate your having it. I'd make sure the grounds people and the security people knew about it, too, just to keep the container safe from reports of suspicous behavior and from landscaping crews.

I don't recommend caches near elementary schools. Security is just too tight there because the kids are too trusting. That's how it should be. I have heard of elementary schools having their own caches, and I think that is just fine, but I still wouldn't recommend it. Little kids are curious and will find it, grandmas are safety conscious and will be alert to strangers on the grounds...maybe if there was a wooded area waaaaay off on one side of the lot??? Nah, I still wouldn't recommend it--but your point of view may differ :D

At a middle school, it depends on where the cache will be. If it can be fairly far away from where the kids go, and if the school offcials realize exactly what will happen--strange, adult people (most often males?) will come by at all hours of the day and night looking for the cache--then I'd say "maybe" (I know of one that has been in place for a few years now with no problem, but it's where the kids never go and the nearest neighbor knows all about the cache and keeps an eye out on everything.

At a high school or a college, as long as you have explicit permission from the principal/dean, it should be fine. Most reviewers don't really need handwritten signed permission, an email will do or perhaps even just their name and telephone number in case the reviewer wants to check on permission. (But your reviewer might ask for that, shouldn't be a problem for you.)

Secondary schools (middle shcool and high school) are much more open to the public, and often have various adult people coming to campus all the time to talk with students, tutor students, use the fitness trail or track for walking, etc. I'd still keep the cache off somewhere the students don't use much, just to help the cache and cachers be discreet and out of the way. High school kids on their way to work can be in a hurry!

I agree. It's more a matter of where do you want to take other cachers. A school with small kids is not a good place. Besides that there are plenty of better places. :wacko:

i had two caches on our school property, both with permission. one is on the trail system behind the school and the other was in the library.

i stress that they both had permission.

our old librarian retired and the new one didn't know about the cache and when people came to find it she went ballistic.

"please tell me", the principal said, "that you had permission."

"permission? the librarians helped me hide it."

so that turned out all right.

come to think of it, i have another cache on the property of a different school, also on trails behind the school. the principal asked that geocachers coming during school hours not linger near the building, but head right into the woods behind the playground.

of course i put this request on the cache page.

so yes, you can put a cache at a school, even an elementary school. but it'd better have permission, because safety standards are more stringent. the cache should be in keeping with the community standards for use of the school grounds.

it will help if members of the school community know the cache is there. information is power. if community members are expecting strangers to come and look for a box, they won't be alarmed when strangers come looking for a box.

What age are the students at this school? I wouldn't want to be looking for a cache around a school with young kids - people might get freaked out. If it's a University then I wouldn't mind.

It is only at the front part of the school, and It is my school and the people loved the idea.

Off-limit (Physical) Caches

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches on land maintained by the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

Caches placed on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans.

Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

Caches near or on military installations.

Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

from the guidelines

Oh, yeah. my teacher who is also a cacher, is on this with me. :blink: