WSGA 2007 Summer Campout

Half-Canadian

This year's WSGA summer campout will be held in scenic Port Townsend at the group camping facilities of the Jefferson County Fairgrounds.

The camping area offers plenty of room for tents as well as RV's of any size, restrooms with free hot showers, and a big picnic shelter building with kitchen facilities. The location is about a half mile from historic Fort Worden State Park, and offers lots of opportunities for sightseeing, tourist activities, and of course...geocaching!

Their Homepage gives a good idea of the facilities as well as photos. The camping fees will be a little higher than what's shown to reflect the increased 2007 rates as well as insurance coverage for the event.

The dates are Friday, August 17 through Sunday, August 19 so mark you calendars now! More details to follow... :D

Edit: added link

Edited by Half-Canadian

Are they taking reservations for this or is it all first-come first served?

There will be plenty of room this year for everyone that wants to tent or RV so no need to worry about making reservations yet. The WSGA will be taking sign-ups when the time gets a little closer that will give us a head count for the goodie bags, Saturday BBQ dinner, etc.

There will be postings here and on the WSGA forums, as well as an email sent to all WSGA members, when the sign-up list is ready to go. As in previous years, WSGA members who have paid their dues for the 2007 year will receive a discount on the camping fun!

If you are unsure whether or not you're current with dues, you can check your status online at WSGA by logging in and clicking the membership button. You can pay your dues online through paypal or mail your payment to the WSGA treasurer.

Their Homepage gives a good idea of the facilities as well as photos. The camping fees will be a little higher than what's shown to reflect the increased 2007 rates as well as insurance coverage for the event.

Cool aerial photo of the fairgrounds, by the way. On the right hand side of the infield, do you see the line drawing of the backpacker with the walking stick? Drawn by ancient Port Townsendites to attract UFO's, or geocachers or something. :rolleyes:

Dang! It's just been archived. :blink:

Sorry; I briefly considered offering to be the local maintainer, or adopting this cache, but it had more problems than just two waypoints missing. It also had a waypoint that needed to be moved, a final that needed a different container and also be moved, and a waypoint that needed to have the camo re-done. It would have been as much work as starting from scratch, yet it wouldn't be a new cache for those 'round

here who had already logged it.

I know it won't fix your DNF, but I'll hide some new caches for you. I think I DNF'd Walk in the Woods twice, myself.

Excellent! ;) I love Port Townsend, and hopefully I can finally rectify my old DNF on this cache.

Me too!

Dang! It's just been archived. :wub:

That's to bad and it sounds like a nice park.

On the plus side, the park is now open if someone else wants to put a cache in there.

It was a nice park...we were there with them... :blink:

We didn't go on the whole walk they did...we stopped and took pictures and stuff.

Dang! It's just been archived. :blink:

Sorry; I briefly considered offering to be the local maintainer, or adopting this cache, but it had more problems than just two waypoints missing. It also had a waypoint that needed to be moved, a final that needed a different container and also be moved, and a waypoint that needed to have the camo re-done. It would have been as much work as starting from scratch, yet it wouldn't be a new cache for those 'round

I know it won't fix your DNF, but I'll hide some new caches for you. I think I DNF'd Walk in the Woods twice, myself.

Don't feel bad. Archiving the cache was the right thing to do, given the extent of maintenance that was needed, lack of follow-through by the cache owner, and the history of trouble with the rangers in that park.

Edited by Team Misguided

What's wrong with the Quote feature? :o

There's nothing wrong with the Quote feature...the problem was that the post wasn't edited correctly so there's 'dangling code'... ;):D:blink:

Is this better?

Dang! It's just been archived. sad.gif

Don't feel bad. Archiving the cache was the right thing to do, given the extent of maintenance that was needed, lack of follow-through by the cache owner, and the history of trouble with the rangers in that park.

:wub: