GPS unit and Google Earth

lekogm

Hey all,

I am looking to buy a GPS unit and I was wondering if anyone knew of a few that would work with Google Earth? I have a bunch of items listed there and would like to import them easily to a GPS unit. I also want to be able to export waypoints I set with my GPS unit to google earth. It'd also be nice if the unit had street maps so that I could use it for directions to places if I get lost, and if it was waterproof so I could use it while kayaking. I'd like to spend no more than $130.

Can anyone give me some suggestions or point me in the right place?

Thanks

Edited by lekogm

Pretty much anything can get waypoints and tracks from Google Earth. You save as a GPX file and then upload with one of many free programs.

For $130, a mapping unit is not even remotely posisble.... Maps cost about that themselves. Maybe if you went with a good deal used, but I doubt it.

Google Earth Plus supports pretty much all Garmins and all the Magellan handhelds these days.

A $130 mapping unit squeaks you into an Explorist 210 with basemaps. You can upgrade to detailed maps to get turn-by-turn directions later. Honestly, you'll probably find the basemaps frustrating for navigation as they're imited to interstates and some major roads.

You can get the Garmin "Blue" Legend for $127.73 today on Amazon.com.

You "can", but they really have useless map storage, reception is not great and there is no auto-routing.

The lowest end mapping Garmin I would suggest is the Venture Cx ~$200.

Personally, i think you would be unhappy with any mapping unit for that low of a price and you might as well just get a non mapping unit.