Paperless caching with OSX

mmccarthy

I use a garmin 60 series gps. I have a Mac desktop computer and recently bought a Palm for paperless caching. I downloaded Plucker but now I see I need GPX Spinner to use with it. But it doesn't work in OSX. Any ideas how I can do all this with a Mac??!!?

Is there a GSAK for the Mac?

Um. What's a GSAK?

There is no Mac version of GSAK, and I don't know of any plans to create one. I recently heard about MacCaching, which seems to have some of the functionality of GSAK, but I haven't tried it out yet.

If you have a newer Intel Mac, it may be easiest to get ahold of a Windows install disk and run all your caching software under Parallels or Boot Camp.

Edited by DavidMac

I use a garmin 60 series gps. I have a Mac desktop computer and recently bought a Palm for paperless caching. I downloaded Plucker but now I see I need GPX Spinner to use with it. But it doesn't work in OSX. Any ideas how I can do all this with a Mac??!!?

Um. What's a GSAK?

Geocaching Swiss Army knife - a very useful program for manging all of the data that comes in Pocket Query .GPX files ---> PC based.

Look at the information on this page. This is how I do it with my Mac. You have to use GPS Babel not Mac simple if you have a usb connection.

Paperless with a Mac

I have an eMac at work and a MacBook Pro and iMac at home. Most of the time, I do the PDA at work. I use MacCMConvert to place the GSX files on the pda. Works great. I use Cachemate on the PDA.

On my MacBook Pro, I have Parallels installed with XP as the OS. I still find that my Garmin GPSmap60C won't communicate with either GSAK or Mapsource though. That's a big disappointment. So, until a fix is made to Parallels, I have an old Windoze box in the corner to upload waypoints to my GPSr via GSAK. Still waiting for Garmin to come up with some Mac software as promised. Anyone heard of when that might be?

Hello all,

I use some Intel-Macs as well as a RISC-Mac and tried out GPSBabel - it works, but not as "simply" as somethings like GSAK (which is actually using GPSBabel under the hood).

The good news! If you run Parallels on an Intel-Mac, or VirtualPC on an older Mac (RISC-based) - you can install Windows in a Virtual machine and use all the PC-based mapping software. This does mean an expense for the software and the Windows license - but there are many reasons beyond caching why you may wish to have this set-up. It's nice to have a single computer that does it all.

Above, it was mentioned that there was a USB problem with Parallels - this has been fixed and I use it to communicate with my Garmin 60CS, PocketPC, etc, etc. So there is no reason you cannot have it all!

In fact, on the Mac, you can even run many UNIX programs and there are some programs that are fun like FreeFall - a satellite simulator (which won't help with caching, but is really cool).

So....

1) Intel Mac

2) Install Parallels

3) Install a Virtual Machine (Windows XP SP2)

4) Install GSAK, Mapping Software etc

5) have fun!

OR....

1) RISC Mac

2) Install VirtualPC

3) Install a Virtual Machine (Windows XP SP2)

4) Install GSAK

5) have fun!

I look forward to seeing what will be programed for the new iPhone. This device runs OSX - so "theoretically" if someone programs caching/mapping utilities for this device, they are not far from being able to run on the desktop verision of OSX. Given there is a GPS built-in to the iPhone (I think) and the fact that Apple has partnered with Google and has mapping in the phone - I think we can expect some very cool things when it comes to OSX and GPS/Mapping. THAT will be very, very cool for so many reasons.

Other than that - there are several mapping/GPS widgets for OSX that may be of interest - you can Google them. (for Windows users - Widgets are what Gizmos were "based" upon :D )

- haha - you'd never know from this post that I treach Microsoft for a living would you?

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

...USB problem with Parallels - this has been fixed and I use it to communicate with my Garmin 60CS, PocketPC, etc, etc. So there is no reason you cannot have it all!

That's good to hear. I'll have to check it out. I haven't used Parallels for a little while (no other need for windows), so I hope the fix does the job. THEN I CAN FINALLY TOSS OUT THE WINDOZE PC!!!

:D

On my MacBook Pro, I have Parallels installed with XP as the OS. I still find that my Garmin GPSmap60C won't communicate with either GSAK or Mapsource though. That's a big disappointment. So, until a fix is made to Parallels, I have an old Windoze box in the corner to upload waypoints to my GPSr via GSAK. Still waiting for Garmin to come up with some Mac software as promised. Anyone heard of when that might be?

Was actually looking for this last night on the Garmin site, I thought it was set for the fall 2006 but the site now indicates 2007 but no time frame within 2007. Took awhile to find it. Picked up an old Dell laptop to run paperless in the vehicle, works well with an iGo power supply.

I also have a mac and a palm. Another member suggested what I use, Cachemate. Its not free but it only cost about $8. To convert the gpx files to the right kind for the palm I use MacCMconvert. It is a free download. After I got my palm I waded through the muck of trying to see what would work with mac and palm and this is the only thing that I found to work. I couldn't get plucker to work, but maybe you can. Anyway, Cachemate and MacCMconvert work wonderfuly for me.

Cachemate is a must if you PDA cache. I used GPXsonar for quite some time before I made the Cachemate plunge, and I'm glad I did. They both do the same thing and yes, Cachemate is payware, but it's faster and more full-featured than GPXsonar. That becomes awefully important when you need to go back to a hint, etc. etc.

...USB problem with Parallels - this has been fixed and I use it to communicate with my Garmin 60CS, PocketPC, etc, etc. So there is no reason you cannot have it all!

That's good to hear. I'll have to check it out. I haven't used Parallels for a little while (no other need for windows), so I hope the fix does the job. THEN I CAN FINALLY TOSS OUT THE WINDOZE PC!!!

:D

It's good. You just need to update Parallels to the most recent version (well...the version from November, but you might as well get the most recent). I sync my PocketPC, GPS, and use USB Hard Drives.

Oh....and one more thing :D

You can create a shared folder in Parallels that saves to your Mac Hard drive. So.... if you save from Windows to this shared folder on the Mac, you can "flip" to OSX and "pick it up". This is GREAT for things like screen shots of the mapping software, data, etc, etc. I do this all the time when I get Pocket Queries in my Mac e-mail. I save it to the folder, open Windows in Parallels, and then grab it and drop it into GSAK (a Windows-only program)

In fact, if you run Parallels in windows-mode, it has a screen shot tool included. Then you can import to iLife and have a lot of fun.

:laughing:

It's good. You just need to update Parallels to the most recent version (well...the version from November, but you might as well get the most recent). I sync my PocketPC, GPS, and use USB Hard Drives.

Oh....and one more thing :)

You can create a shared folder in Parallels that saves to your Mac Hard drive. So.... if you save from Windows to this shared folder on the Mac, you can "flip" to OSX and "pick it up". This is GREAT for things like screen shots of the mapping software, data, etc, etc. I do this all the time when I get Pocket Queries in my Mac e-mail. I save it to the folder, open Windows in Parallels, and then grab it and drop it into GSAK (a Windows-only program)

In fact, if you run Parallels in windows-mode, it has a screen shot tool included. Then you can import to iLife and have a lot of fun.

Well, I downloaded the latest (Build 3120). In fact, I am writing this via IE on Parallels. But, even though the USB is recognizing that I have my GPSmap60c connected, GSAK or Mapsource still isn't able to communicate. This is SOOOOO frustrating.

I must admit, this is the most advanced version I've ever seen, it just won't do what I bought it for. I don't know what else to try at this point.

;)

I must admit, this is the most advanced version I've ever seen, it just won't do what I bought it for. I don't know what else to try at this point.

:)

Assuming you have a Windows install disk, you could always try installing Windows in Boot Camp, which actually boots your mac into windows like a traditional PC. It's more compatible than Parallels, since rather than being emulated, you aren't even booted into OSX, and Windows and it's drivers have complete control over the hardware (okay, maybe that's a scary thought...). The downside is that you have to reboot to switch OS and you can't share data between the two operating systems easily without using a USB thumb drive or a software program such as MacDrive.

Edited by DavidMac

i use a Mac as well as the Garmin 60csx, and the best program i came across is MacCaching.

it uses the GpsBabel format .. i simply download the LOC files to my desktop and then transfer them to my GPSr

also APPLE just announced the IPHONE which will be available in July, that uses OSX as a base software and allows real time internet surfing so you can go to Geocaching.com and read the cache description in the palm of your hand

Today, MacCaching supports Palm devices if they are configured through iSync. When you do "Export to iPod" the cache list is sent to AddressBook. iSync will sync those to your iPod through iTunes, which is how I expected it to work.

This weekend I received a Palm and used it for the first time with OSX. iSync will also send the caches to the Palm's address book. If you do a search on the palm by the Waypoint name (GCxxxx), it'll bring you right to the "contact".

I'm working to see how I can extend functionality on the Palm. iSync isn't ideal, nor is using the Address Book, especially if you use your palm for something other than Geocaching.

Ipod, save notes.

It's important to note that MacCaching doesn't currently work with Magellan (at least not with my Magellan eXPlorist 500).

For MUGs (Mac-using geocachers) using Magellan to go paperless on a Palm with Cachemate (with or without Premium membership), do this:

1.) Download file from Geocaching.com (.loc or .gpx)

2.) Use GPSBabel to convert to .pdb format (use the palmdoc file type - either from the command line or use this automator action: Click here) I don't like MacCMconvert because it's just ONE MORE app you need. GPSBabel works fine for this.

3.) Sync the new .pdb file to your Palm. I use Missing Sync.

4.) Use GPSBabel to upload the original .gpx or .upt or whatever to your unit.

http://chimbisimo.googlepages.com