my gps accuracy

dale hollow lake

We put out fish attractors, these are same size of 2 normal christmas tress in volume, 30 feet down. now I would like to know if in as perfect a situtation as possible overhead clear, high sky all is good no interference, How close can I expect to get back to this spot returning to the coordinates, using the same gps I obtained the coordinates with as I sunk the tree's.

thanks

We put out fish attractors, these are same size of 2 normal christmas tress in volume, 30 feet down. now I would like to know if in as perfect a situtation as possible overhead clear, high sky all is good no interference, How close can I expect to get back to this spot returning to the coordinates, using the same gps I obtained the coordinates with as I sunk the tree's.

thanks

The short answer is NO.

The long answer is that unless you want to pay thousands or hundres of thousands of dollars for survey type GPSr units then you can expect that you will never get the exact spot unless by luck.

The GPS units that are available to the general public are quite cheap and are not as accurate as the very expensive survey units.

It will lead you pretty close to the general area depending on the day, and the accuracy you have, ie: if you had 5mtrs when you placed the cache or fish attractor, then have 5mtrs on the day you go back, you still have the potential to be 10 mtrs away from the placed item.

Hope this answers your question.

thanks

The short answer is NO.

The long answer is that unless you want to pay thousands or hundres of thousands of dollars for survey type GPSr units then you can expect that you will never get the exact spot unless by luck.

The GPS units that are available to the general public are quite cheap and are not as accurate as the very expensive survey units.

It will lead you pretty close to the general area depending on the day, and the accuracy you have, ie: if you had 5mtrs when you placed the cache or fish attractor, then have 5mtrs on the day you go back, you still have the potential to be 10 mtrs away from the placed item.

Hope this answers your question.

wasnt what i wanted to hear, but thanks I understand the answer, so the depth finder/flasher will need to be on. sightin on the dead ceadar on the bank wont hurt either huh anybody else figure me much closer than duck? garmincsx60

Donald, Daisy + Kids is absolutely correct. Your GPS position is not 100% correct nor will it repeat to the same spot 100%. There should be a setting on your GPS that will show you your accuracy at any given time. You should watch it closely. Take positions readings only after you have achieved close to the best position accuracy of your unit.

Garmin 60CSX Accuracy:

GPS accuracy:

Position to less than 10 meters (32.5 ft) without WAAS Signal

DGPS accuracy:

Position to less than 5 meters (16.25 ft)with WAAS Signal

accuracytu5.png

Under best case conditions. I would not plan on being any closer than 10 meters (32.5 ft) from a previous position mark with your unit. I do think it will get you much closer than that, but I wouldnt bet the farm on it.

It probably wouldn't matter if you're off a little bit for fish, either. There will be more in that general area because of the shelter/food (I'm not sure what fish attractors do) there anyway. I doubt you'd have to be right on top of it.

Star Girl its not like perfume, lol fyi, sometimes the outside edge of the attractor is to far away, kind of think of it like a encounter with a huge, oh never mind its a fishing thing, on a good day close might work too!

In my experience, it will get you close enough to the general area.

Once you get there, use the fish finder to locate the sunken structure and then toss out your marker.

What amazes me with these 'cheap consumer units' is how well they tend to work for geocaching.

Especially considering I have no idea the make or model, or skills, or patience of the person placing the cache.

For my meager number of caches found, the coordinates have usually narrowed down my search area to a spot only a few feet away from the cache. Amazing, really...