Got charged twice for GC membership

shunra

I paid on December 26th, and was charged again on January 1st. I assume there must have been an automatic payment thing in place, although I don't remember opting in for automatic renewal.

Who do I talk to about this? A PM to Jeremy got me no response...

Thanks!

Well, you know Jeremy has Christmas bills to pay.....

If you use PayPal to pay, it's automatically set up to renew automatically. I don't know if you can even prevent it, without cancelling everything. I'm not especially happy about that.

Didn't know that was the case. But if so, why was I getting payment reminders towards the end of my subscription? At least THOSE reminders should have told me that it would renew automatically.

Anyway - who do I talk to? I don't mind not getting the money back, as long as the automatic thing gets cancelled, and I am registeres as having paid up to the end of 2008

Here are the steps to find out if your account is renewing or non renewing:

1. Login to your paypal account at www.paypal.com

2. Click on the History subtab

3. Click on Details of the subscription in question

4. Click on the number next to "In reference to:" above the Related

Transaction section.

5. Look at Subscription Terms:

Renewing: 30.00 U.S. Dollars for each year

Nonrenewing: 30.00 U.S. Dollars for one year

If you would like to cancel this subscription, you will need to log in to your PayPal account. A subscription can be canceled up until the day of the next scheduled payment.

To cancel an Active Subscription:

1. Log in to your PayPal account

3. Choose the Subscriptions field from the Show drop-down menu

4. Check the From box and change the date back 2 years (or approximately the date you created your subscription)

5. Click Search

6. To view the details of a specific Subscription Creation, click Details in the Details column

7. At the bottom of this page, click Cancel Subscription

8. On the confirmation page, click Cancel Subscription again

Once you have canceled through Paypal your subscription you will continue to have access to your premium features until your Premium Membership reaches the expiration date. Thanks for the past support!

Source: Groundspeak Knowledgebase

Edited by Stunod

Thanks for the info, Stunod!

I just cancelled my subcription to avoid further automatic deductions. I still need someone to talk to, either to get my money back or to confirm that I'm paid up until December '08...

If it isn't Jeremy, who in Groundspeak deals with this?

To cancel an Active Subscription:

1. Log in to your PayPal account

3. Choose the Subscriptions field from the Show drop-down menu

4. Check the From box and change the date back 2 years (or approximately the date you created your subscription)

5. Click Search

6. To view the details of a specific Subscription Creation, click Details in the Details column

7. At the bottom of this page, click Cancel Subscription

8. On the confirmation page, click Cancel Subscription again

Once you have canceled through Paypal your subscription you will continue to have access to your premium features until your Premium Membership reaches the expiration date. Thanks for the past support!

Source: Groundspeak Knowledgebase

Edited by shunra

Thanks for the info, Stunod!

I just cancelled my subcription to avoid further automatic deductions. I still need someone to talk to, either to get my money back or to confirm that I'm paid up until December '08...

You can check that out, go to your my account page, and look on the right side about halfway down. There should be a blue panel that says something like :

You are a Premium Member.

Your membership will continue

through Wednesday, January

35, 2008.

Well, you know Jeremy has Christmas bills to pay.....

If you use PayPal to pay, it's automatically set up to renew automatically. I don't know if you can even prevent it, without cancelling everything. I'm not especially happy about that.

Didn't know that was the case. But if so, why was I getting payment reminders towards the end of my subscription? At least THOSE reminders should have told me that it would renew automatically.

Anyway - who do I talk to? I don't mind not getting the money back, as long as the automatic thing gets cancelled, and I am registeres as having paid up to the end of 2008

mine did.

Who? I don't know. Better Business Bureau? State Attorney General?

:D

I think you meant to say contact@geocaching.com

That's the ticket. Paypal allows refunds within 30 days (or more, I forget). Reference the transaction in the contact email for a quicker refund.

:)

That's the ticket. Paypal allows refunds within 30 days (or more, I forget). Reference the transaction in the contact email for a quicker refund.

Thanks, Jeremy!

Will write to contact@Groundspeak.com with the reference numbers right away!

Daniel

:)

Thanks, Jeremy!

Daniel

Jeremy, I sent the detailed message below to contact@geocaching.com and to contact@Groundspeak.com immediately after you confirmed that that was what I should do, 5 days ago. I got no response, no refund, and no membership extension.

Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks!

Hello people at Groundspeak,

It appears that I paid for my Groundspeak membership twice, and yet, that my membership was extended only once.

Could you please either reverse one of the transactions, or alternatively, credit me with both extensions, ergo until December 31st, 2008?

Could you also confirm that I have no further automatic subscriptions open?

I made both payments via paypal. Reference numbers are included:

December 26th

(I paid in response to a message saying that my membership was about to lapse)

Subscription Payment Sent (ID #5WT819887R733803L)

In reference to:S-0LN68985WM183564H

January 1st

(Automatic deduction, which I must have authorized at some time in the past)

Subscription Payment Sent (ID #0JE263688M151164N)

In reference to:S-8B090261PD269000B

Thanks!

Daniel

(shunra)

:lol:

Thanks, Jeremy!

Daniel

Jeremy, I sent the detailed message below to contact@geocaching.com and to contact@Groundspeak.com immediately after you confirmed that that was what I should do, 5 days ago. I got no response, no refund, and no membership extension.

Thanks!

It appears that I paid for my Groundspeak membership twice, and yet, that my membership was extended only once.

Could you please either reverse one of the transactions, or alternatively, credit me with both extensions, ergo until December 31st, 2008?

December 26th

January 1st

Thanks!

Daniel

(shunra)

Contact Paypal and request a refund on the second charge. That will work. It is also what contact@ is going to tell you to do.

:lol:

Thanks, Jeremy!

Daniel

Thanks!

December 26th

January 1st

Thanks!

Daniel

(shunra)

Contact Paypal and request a refund on the second charge. That will work. It is also what contact@ is going to tell you to do.

Why didn't Jeremy say so right away, instead of referring me to contact@g, earlier in this thread?)

That seems to be a rather complicated way to go about it, and since I still have no formal response from Groundspeak, I have followed your instruction.

The result is that this is now classified as a 'dispute case' - and Paypal will now be going back to Groundspeak to try to "resolve" this "conflict".

I sent the reference numbers to Jeremy and then to Groundspeak almost two weeks ago, before opening this thread. A simple refund would have been so much easier :-(

Why didn't Jeremy say so right away, instead of referring me to contact@g, earlier in this thread?)

That seems to be a rather complicated way to go about it, and since I still have no formal response from Groundspeak, I have followed your instruction.

The result is that this is now classified as a 'dispute case' - and Paypal will now be going back to Groundspeak to try to "resolve" this "conflict".

I sent the reference numbers to Jeremy and then to Groundspeak almost two weeks ago, before opening this thread. A simple refund would have been so much easier :-(

Like any company president Jeremy is not always aware of the little details in all his departments.It is why he has employees. From his level he gave you the right answer. It just so happens that I helped someone else solve this and knew a more detailed answer.

Edited by CO Admin

Like any company president Jeremy is not always aware of the little details in all his departments.It is why he has employees. From his level he gave you the right answer. It just so happens that I helped someone else solve this and knew a more detailed answer.

I appreciate it, CO Admin!

I just wonder why nobody from Groundspeak responds when I followed Jeremy's instructions, and why your instructions are contradictory to his, and why I need to tell Paypal that there is a a "dispute" and "conflict" in need of being "resolved", whereas in reality this is a small technicality that can be solved on your end in no time.

I explicitly wasn't asking for money back, originally, just for an extension of my subscription.

Since you've done this before, can you tell me what is going to happen next, when Paypal contacts Groundspeak in order to "resolve" the "dispute"? This is so unnecessarily complicated...

No, more likely, jeremy knows that a paypal 'dispute' will put a black mark on his company with paypal. Enough of these, and their paypal access can be shut down.

However, a refund through Groundspeak directly won't do that.

No, more likely, jeremy knows that a paypal 'dispute' will put a black mark on his company with paypal. Enough of these, and their paypal access can be shut down.

However, a refund through Groundspeak directly won't do that.

Exactly. I'd never have done that if CO Admin hadn't instructed me to do so. I'd be the last to want to cause problems between Groundspeak and Paypal :-(

In the meantime, no response from Groundspeak, no refund of the double charge, no extension of membership...

19 days after my request for a refund for the double charge, I finally got a response from Groundspeak, and then things went quickly: the refund has just come in.

Thanks, Eric, for bypassing those unnecessary paypal "dispute" procedures, and for making the refund directly.

I have declared the "dispute" "resolved", and closed the complaint.