Smallest cache

jcblough

8372910c-b903-4b4a-8494-3cf625cb8fcb.jpg

I picked up my elderly aunt in MS for the Christmas holidays and on the way to Birmingham we found a few caches, just to show her what my obsession is about.

One cache appeared to be on or near a big ivy-covered black iron bolt-studded latticework.

I told her the coords put me in the area of the lattice, that we were likely looking for something magnetic, and I started looking - she stood looking at this structure, watched me search all over it, then hobbled over on her cane, picked off the nearly invisible nanocache and says "Is this what you're looking for?"!

Yup, it was the nano sbell depicts!

She's been bragging about it ever since!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Here's one of the containers I've made using scrap parts around the office- has anyone made one smaller?

canned2mw8.th.jpg

I call that a "Florida Micro"

I was just down there and DNF on about 30 micros. I did find one that looked just like that...it was covered in cammo tape and dangling from a tree with green wire meant for bunching flowers together it was hanging in a tree with many small leaves. It was the best micro I have ever seen.

I was really proud of myself for finding that. LOL

Edited by WeatherednBoston

I'm asking seriously here, who the heck signs the logs in these things? That guy who wrote the lord's prayer on a grain of rice (you probably saw one of these, or something similar if you were ever in a ripley's believe it or not museum) I can barely write legibly in a notebook!

I'm asking seriously here, who the heck signs the logs in these things? That guy who wrote the lord's prayer on a grain of rice (you probably saw one of these, or something similar if you were ever in a ripley's believe it or not museum) I can barely write legibly in a notebook!

A finely sharpened pencil. I have found 4 such caches. 2 had enough paper for 4 or 5 sigs - the other I left 3 little red marks as evidence of my visit (no room) and one was an older cache that required a keyword found in the container. (no longer allowed)

I signed the forty or so of that size I have found with just my initials - TAR.

Rolling the log up and getting it back in the cache is often more time-consuming and frustrating than hunting and finding it.

I signed the forty or so of that size I have found with just my initials - TAR.

Rolling the log up and getting it back in the cache is often more time-consuming and frustrating than hunting and finding it.

In my sub-micros I try to make the log a few inches shorter than need be to make it a bit easier to get them back in. I've got this one, one a bit smaller then one made out of the base of a radio antenna. Rolling them up and getting them in/out can be hard.

Do they really need to be that small?

What is the point of looking for something that is almost impossible to find.

The one thing i hate is getting to the co-ords. and looking everywhere and not finding it only to realize it was right there in front of me.

why dont you hollow out a piece of gravel and put a log in it and then toss it on your gravel driveway next. that will be fun

The one thing i hate is getting to the co-ords. and looking everywhere and not finding it only to realize it was right there in front of me.

why dont you hollow out a piece of gravel and put a log in it and then toss it on your gravel driveway next. that will be fun

HMMMM.....

Well, oddly enough, I have 3 sub-micro caches. They are my most visited, most logged and most complimented - so someone must like looking for them.

i found one of these that was the first part of a multi, it had the coords for the next stage inside. trying to remember now, but i don't think i had to sign this one, just get the coords. the way it was placed was in plain sight, once you found it, if that makes sense. you didn't have to move any leaves or anything like that out of the way. i'll bet a thousand kids have seen it and thought nothing of it. i thought in that type of situation it was pretty cool.

A coworker and I found such a cache an hour ago. I HATE THEM!

I think they are fun - to a point. If you hide them in a spot where that size is almost required and you have good coords, it is a really cool and rewarding find. My first one this size took me 3 trips out, but I got it. After that one, I sought out caches that size and got to where I could find them good. I've found one like that in a hollow tree, up in the hole stuck on a wood screw screwed into the hollow tree. VERY tough find, but very cool at the same time. it had coords for a 2nd part of a multi-cache and a log to sign.

I recently found one that was a cap nut on the end of a bolt. At first I thought the bolt would be hollow (we had found one in the area the day before) but the bolt was solid. We then noticed that inside the cap nut was a small, lightly laminated piece of paper about 1/4 inch wide and 4 inches long folded into the end of the nut. On it was a note to send the cache owner an email to the account listed there with a given code word to prove that you were there.

We found one of those as part of a multi. That part contained the co-ordinates of the second stage, which was a regular ammo can. I nearly missed that tiny micro - in fact we passed it over twice before I actually tapped it to see if it would move - and it did!

Jenn

HMMMM.....

*takes notes*

Those nano-caches start life as LED 'jewelry'. There's a magnet on the base and the cap has a very small led light that flashes. The 'compartment' is for the small battery that runs the light. Remove the battery and paint it to match a ferrous structure, add a log made from a thin strip of paper and you have a nano cache. One of the best I've found was embedded in a tree burl which was itself attached to it's host tree via RE magnets.

They are a maint. nightmare. The logs fill up quickly - don't place one that's off your own personal beaten path.