Another Newb needs advice on GPS unit

BlueHillsBeast

Going to use new GPS for hunting/hiking/geocaching and possibly fishing, probably not much for driving directions really. The brand does not matter, I do not have a GPS now, nor have I previously owned one.

If you are loyal to a brand please include that in your response

Thanks for helping!!

The Beast

This suggestion will be contrary to others that will simply point you to the fanciest gizmo out there:

If you are not going to use it for driving, you don't really need mapping. Buy an inexpensive yellow Garmin etrex.

Edited by sbell111

If you are not going to use it for driving, you don't really need mapping. Buy an inexpensive yellow Garmin etrex.

Honestly, the yellow's suck at geocaching unless you are strictly in an urban setting. if you have caches in the woods or you take it hiking, it will lose signal, guaranteed.

However, I agree with the garmin brand, just look at a different model than the basic yellow.

I disagree with this. Mapping is still extremely useful. With topo maps on the unit you will know whether there is a stream, swamp, cliff, ravine, mountain, etc.... between you and your destination.

BlueHillsBeast, it would help if we knew your budget. You can spend $70 for a basic unit that will get the job done, or up to $400 for one that has all kinds of neat features. A non mapping unit will run from $70 to about $180 and decent mapping handhelds will run from around $120 to $400.

I would get (and I own) a Garmin eTrex Legend (B&W version, about $140). I have Mapsource Topo USA CD, and I do like having a more detailed map than the basemap for hiking, geocaching, kayaking, etc. I occasionally use it in the car (when someone else is driving) but not very often. The yellow one has no map at all, not even a basemap, so you just see your path on a blank area.

I am loyal to Garmin since they just replaced my 5 year old Legend for free when I dropped it down a few carpeted steps and it stopped working. I don't know why they were willing to replace it (website says $99 for repairing an out of warranty Legend), but I am happy. When I thought I was going to have to replace it myself, I looked at what is available and decided I would buy the exact same model (since I have the CDs, I had to stick with Garmin). A color screen isn't that important to me.

Cathy

I should have also mentioned that I do want to use topo maps with it, this will help a lot when in the woods where I plan to spend a fair amount of time scouting.

You'll have to excuse me for my ignorance....... but if I get one with a topo map, can I overly my waypoints and tracks on the topo and print it out from the computer?

I really appreciate the feedback, I am a complete newb to this stuff!

Hello,

I've got to tell you, I've only had my GPS unit for less than a month now and it's absolutely great. I have a Lowrance I-way 100m unit that I really enjoy. I usually use it for geocaching or directions, but I think it would work out very well for what you need it for. I think they are pretty reasonably priced too. I think they're selling for around $150-$200. That includes all of the mapping software for the U.S. and Canada. Just an FYI.

Honestly, the yellow's suck at geocaching unless you are strictly in an urban setting. if you have caches in the woods or you take it hiking, it will lose signal, guaranteed.

However, I agree with the garmin brand, just look at a different model than the basic yellow.

I disagree. Tons of people geocache with etrexes. Many, many people have found many, many caches using the little yellow etrex. I've cached with family members who still use the etrex and they are able to find caches in the woods.

If I'm not mistaken, all of the units in the etrex line use the same antenna. Garmin simple added features as the went up the product line.

Of course, since the OP needs maps, he's going to have to move up into more advanced models.

Well, here's a vote for magellan. I've used the 200, 500 (current), and Sportrak map. They've all worked great. The 500 is excellent for both driving directions and geocaching. I had an etrex legend (blue) that I used for a couple of months after my Sportrak got stolen. I thought it sucked. From the tiny overlay screens to the inability to hold a signal and the spinning like a top feature when you get near a cache, I thought it was a big loser.

I should have also mentioned that I do want to use topo maps with it, this will help a lot when in the woods where I plan to spend a fair amount of time scouting.

You'll have to excuse me for my ignorance....... but if I get one with a topo map, can I overly my waypoints and tracks on the topo and print it out from the computer?

I really appreciate the feedback, I am a complete newb to this stuff!

Well here are a few suggestions.

Lowrance iFinder H20 Plus - This is a great unit and the Plus package comes with the MapCreate topo mapping software, memory card and a card reader included in the price. Reception is outstanding and the display is a very sharp B&W. As for negatives, the H20 doesn't do autorouting (turn by turn driving directions) and the user interface is a bit clunky and not the easiest to learn. The H20 Plus should run you around $220 if you shop wisely.

Garmin eTrex Venture CX - A good unit at a relatively bargain price. Expandible memory (you can find a 1 gig memory card for under $20 these days), color display, autorouting (with the appropriate software) and compact size are among the great features. Solid reception. Sells for about $200. You will need to buy the mapping software separately (Mapsource Topo is around $90 and City Navigator is around $120. You can run both concurrently on the unit).

Garmin Map 76CX - This and its sister unit, the 60CX , are pretty much the cream of handheld GPS units these days. I recommended the 76 because you mentioned fishing and this unit floats and the 60 doesn't.

Its also a tad cheaper than the 60 many places. This unit has a color display, autorouting, expandible memory and superb reception. This will run about $320 plus mapping software.