What's a "Charter Member"?

Get a time machine

We Charter members are those that were brave enough to start sending money to the site in the first year that premium memberships were offered.

We former charter members know that you also have to keep paying your yearly dues to maintain Charter Membership. If you let a gap in you drop back to "Member" or "Premium Member".

Get a time machine

We Charter members are those that were brave enough to start sending money to the site in the first year that premium memberships were offered.

We former charter members know that you also have to keep paying your yearly dues to maintain Charter Membership. If you let a gap in you drop back to "Member" or "Premium Member".

LOL ain't that the truth

Get a time machine

Not sure "brave enough" is accurate - 'in the right place at the right time' might be moreso!

I bought in within hours of discovering geocaching, I just discovered it a couple of years after the Charter Members did. :laughing:

In 2003 there was certainly no guarantee the site would last for the year our membership covered!

I must have gotten better looking after getting my Charter Membership; my wife wanted to be around me a lot more!

Of course, that whole thing about getting her started caching and only having one GPSr in the family may have had something to do with it.

not necessarily. my wallet (bank card, etc.) went missing just before my membership was set to renew. my account was linked to that card, so my membership lapsed for about a week while i go the mess cleaned up. i had the forethought to write in and explain before the lapse, and happily my charter status was restored.

there are no benefits that the regular paying crowd doesn't get, but only the pride of havign decided to start paying early on.

are there any benefits of charter member that premium members do not?

Originally, Charter Members were guaranteed to keep the same membership price as long as they kept up their memberships. But sometime recently this benefit was given to all Premium Members.

Now I think the only additional benefit is the complimentary "Jelly of the Month" gift subscription.

Edited by Stunod
... Now I think the only additional benefit is the complimentary "Jelly of the Month" gift subscription.
This month, we got Cherry Preserves, Peach Pecan w/cherries in Amaretto, and Wild Blackberry Jam.

You got cherry!!! :D

All we got was plain old Grape.

I got Elderberry Preserves, Orange Fig Jam, and Pumpkin Apple Butter. 10.gif

Edited by Prime Suspect

Get a time machine

Once I was a couple of weeks late in renewing my membership and got down graded. I sent an email to TPTB and they restored my nobility. :D

El Diablo

What is a Charter membership and how is it reached?

When an organization is established ('chartered'), those who are the original members at the time are "Charter Members" (the original members when group is established).

So, this is not a membership level that one can later on achieve...

What is a Charter membership and how is it reached?

A short step-ladder.

When an organization is established ('chartered'), those who are the original members at the time are "Charter Members" (the original members when group is established).

So, this is not a membership level that one can later on achieve...

:D

... Now I think the only additional benefit is the complimentary "Jelly of the Month" gift subscription.
This month, we got Cherry Preserves, Peach Pecan w/cherries in Amaretto, and Wild Blackberry Jam.

You got cherry!!! :D

All we got was plain old Grape.

I got beer. :D:D

You got BEER!!!! :D Mine must have been stopped at the border, dang border guards! :D

Edited by Shawn&Holly

Get a time machine

I can't remember the particulars but i thought i had tried to renew my Charter Membership a few days before it ran out and the site wouldn't let me do it. Then i ended up losing the status when i renewed a couple of days after it expired. :)

Get a time machine

I can't remember the particulars but i thought i had tried to renew my Charter Membership a few days before it ran out and the site wouldn't let me do it. Then i ended up losing the status when i renewed a couple of days after it expired. :)

You have to email the folks at geocaching.com. It's not automatic. They generally don't seem to mind a couple of days lapse.

are there any benefits of charter member that premium members do not?

Originally, Charter Members were guaranteed to keep the same membership price as long as they kept up their memberships. But sometime recently this benefit was given to all Premium Members.

Now I think the only additional benefit is the complimentary "Jelly of the Month" gift subscription.

"Clark, that's the gift that keeps giving the whole year 'round" - Cousin Eddie