100 hides and counting

StarBrand

I realized that I now have 100 active cache hides. It took me 5 years of scouting, scrounging and dollarstore visits - oh and a few bumps along the way. 90% of caches within 25 miles of me are mine. 20% within 100 miles. I am proud to reach this level. I travel the area frequently and I love re-visiting and maintaining these.

Some cachers are hiders and some are finders. My wife and I love both. No pressure on any cacher to hide more than they can take care of. Just wondering how many (hundreds likely) have also topped 100 hides?? Where?

I have 181 hides (the count includes 2 adopted caches and 2 events) with 141 still active. And only 6 micros in the whole lot.

The stat page I looked at shows 252 geocachers with 100+ hides. That number has increased substantially in the micro spew era. It took me 4 years to reach 100 hides and some people reach that in a few months now.

I own 113 caches + one under my admin account. 94 active. I can remember thinking that 30 or so would be about all a person could maintain. Seems I was wrong. Putting ammo cans well out into the woods makes maintenance pretty simple. I'm actually fond (dare I say it?) of micros in the woods - but I don't place them any more, they're a maintenance hassle.

I love hiding and I love finding. If money were no object, I'd own hundreds and hundreds. So much natural Florida with nary an ammo can in it.... the cost of gas is the main hindrance. Ammo cans and swag are cheap by comparison to just getting around.

Thanks to all who hide and make the game possible.

Thank you for contributing your time and efforts to our hobby. I've seen users with over 2000 finds and only placed one cache (currently archived). If caches are not put out, I can't go find them. Imagine what this sport would be with everyone averaging 1 cache placement per 500-1000 finds. There are USERS and there are Geocachers.

Keep it up ---- thank you again.

I can remember thinking that 30 or so would be about all a person could maintain. Seems I was wrong. Putting ammo cans well out into the woods makes maintenance pretty simple.

Same here. I once set a personal limit of 50, but I've found I'm able to deal with the 141 I have with out too much trouble. Using ammo cans does help a lot as they rarely have problems. I do think that 150 might be my limit and will soon probably start archiving caches when I place new ones.

Edited by briansnat

Congrats on your hides! Without hiders the activity would stagnate...

This thread got me looking at my hide stats:

Cache Types......Total/Archived/Active

Traditional................410/57/353

Multi.........................90/22/68

Letterbox..................4/1/3

Events.......................6/6/0

Mystery/Puzzle............162/16/146

Earth.........................1/0/1

TOTAL.......................673/102/571

Cache Sizes......Total/Archived/Active

Micro..........................248/35/213

Small..........................121/11/110

Regular.......................212/38/174

Large...........................3/0/3

Unknown.....................83/12/71

Events.........................6/6/0

TOTAL.........................673/102/571

In the last few months I have really tried to slow my placement of traditional micros so that I can concentrate placing larger caches and puzzle caches. But that isn't to say that you can't place a micro in a cool location or using a cool camo technique.

They aren't all great caches, but some of them are pretty darn good! Great view, great hike, great hide, great experience. I will never catch King Boreas but will likely keep placing caches! (Besides, every time I threaten to stop placing caches the locals complain...:D)

Congrats on your 100th Star Brand! :) Like you I've cached for about 5 years now, so my hide totals are spread out a bit - less than 100 a year. I try and use VLM (very low maintainence) containers and logs so I'm able to keep 60 to 70 active at any one time. Tiny micros don't last so I don't generally place them.

Ozgruff, nice work on 671! I can't imagine having that many (twice my current total)!

Congrats on the milestone SB. We have enjoyed finding several of your caches in our limited Geocaching experience and they are the type of quality caches that we try to hold as our own standard of how to place a cache. I'm not sure if we will ever get close to having that many caches hidden ourselves, as we tend to place new caches in concert with archiving the hides that didnt work out, which keeps our active hide count around 20. Maybe we will try and increase that a bit this next year as we already have over a dozen spots scouted out that we have in mind for future caches. Anyway, thanks again for your contributions to the activity!

How many Caches are there in the World?? TOTAL... i mean, is there a webpage that gives the exact # of known and tracked caches... Where on Geocaching.com does it talk about it?

Here you go,"There are 350206 active caches worldwide.

In the last 7 days, there have been 199625 new logs written by 33456 account holders." :)

I realized that I now have 100 active cache hides. It took me 5 years of scouting, scrounging and dollarstore visits - oh and a few bumps along the way. 90% of caches within 25 miles of me are mine. 20% within 100 miles. I am proud to reach this level. I travel the area frequently and I love re-visiting and maintaining these.

Some cachers are hiders and some are finders. My wife and I love both. No pressure on any cacher to hide more than they can take care of. Just wondering how many (hundreds likely) have also topped 100 hides?? Where?

Congratulations! You have become a member of an elite group! You are a great American! :)

I have been geocaching for about 3-1/2 months, and of the 33 caches within 10 miles of my home, 21 are mine. Two belong to my children. There are a few micros, but mostly they are small caches.

I have 50 finds, but enjoy hiding as much as I do finding!

I believe a few of those remaining 10 caches in the zone are yours, Starbrand.

I recently put out a "cache starter" hide full of small cache starters, since my children and I have found all the nearby caches that are not micros. With a newborn and a toddler, we don't go very far afield.

I have a few I can look for about 30 miles away, but not while I have to tromp through 1/2 to 2 feet of snow in sub-freezing temperatures with the little ones to get to them. Gee, I wish Spring would get here fast! :)

Congrats on the 100th hide! :lol:

Edited by sunrise searcher