"Liar Caches"

Aushiker

You get eggs and white toast and hot coco.....how would you like your eggs cooked? :P

oHHH!!! May I please have three softly scrambled egges, with really really realy crisp bacon? Please? ;):)

MMMMM Crispy Bacon MMMMMM I wish I had some. But I'll get started on those eggs....

Thank you! :laughing::)

When will you be knocking on the door?

Personally, my own preferred way of phrasing it is not in terms of "gullible", but rather, Vinny and many others did their research and paid attention, and some other cachers, namely some from MN, did not do their due diligence research or did not pay attention. And my ultimate point, of course, for those who made themselves "victims" is: why blame someone else, such as the cache owner, for your own failure to perform due diligence?

Since TAR asked for a summary, here's my perspective:

I have not done the cache in question. (Fortunately, there are no such caches in my area.) 'Gullible'? That's shifting blame to the innocent. I take cache pages at face value. And I expect them to be accurate. I do not read logs before searching for a cache (for the first attempt).

Summary: Some people are evil and malicious, and enjoy making others look like fools. Calling them 'gullible' and 'making themselves victims' makes the malice far worse. As I posted before: Some people like tripping old ladies with canes. Some people are sick, and need help. This cache exemplifies that.

My, my. Strong opinion.

Since the other issue has gone to breakfast and is pretty much dead..... I'm curious about a pattern that is emerging across several threads on several sites regarding this subject.....

As can be seen by the success of most liar's caches a percieved majority finds them fun and entertaining.

Then there are others that give opinions that run 180 degrees in the other direction often at the mere concept of a liars cache having had no experience in finding one.

I'm not seeking to invalidate these opinions, but I would like to explore the motivation for such strong reactions.

What sort of changes are in order in your opinion?

And now, this seems the right time and place to come out of the closet and admit the ugly truth -- a truth that most of you have suspected all along:

Yes, it is true that we may have gained a bit of fame or infamy for the so-called "extreme terrain" caches in our Psycho Urban Caches and Psycho Backcountry Caches series. However, it is now time to tell the truth, that the fame and infamy were ill-earned and were part of a hoax, for all lies must come to an eventual end. Let the truth be known: All of our Psycho caches in both Psycho cache series are really tall tale caches and their true D/T ratings are all 1/1 or 1.5/1.5 at most. And, in reality, the actual cache in each case is a single-stage traditional microcache, where the container is magnetic keyholder placed on the guardrail of the parking lot/parking area, or under a nearby lamppost skirt! And all those log entries and photos of the cache hide sites or of seekers finding the Psycho caches were faked in Adobe Photoshop by a digital graphics artist located in Cincinatti, Ohio. Likewise, the log entries were faked by a small advertising copy agency in Miami, Florida. So, all our Psycho caches were a total hoax, a total deception. :):);)

I'm crushed. I remember the first time I ran across PUC #9. The shock. The wonder. People REALLY did this??? Now my bubble has been burst..... sigh....

:laughing:

I believe I only deleted two logs/notes.. [the talked about died ones] And here's how I handled them..

Forgive me, I realize that I often don't read really long posts carefully enough, however, I still don't really understand why you deleted the logs. Did they not lie like you asked them to?

She deleted them Because they were inapprorate, claiming someone died is taking it to far, There was at one point at the least 50 cachers who watch the cache and when they saw someone claiming someone died LO was bombard with emails. The lie was to tell a tale that included rock climbing, high road/low road, and a cave (i'm sure there was a couple other points that had to be mentioned but i do not remember them) There was no need to take it that far! If they did not approve of a cache then maybe they shouldn't of even bother logging anything.. and just let it be! instead they have let it dragged out over two months. This needs to stop and if have too maybe ask admin to lock this topic, or move on and let this one die, its a new year get over it!

After slogging through all 5 pages of this I've decided that I don't like the idea of liars caches. But thats just me.

Maybe I just missed it and maybe some helpful person can clear up my main point of confusion. Why did a reviewer allow a single stage cache to be listed as a multi?

Is this done often? I haven't seen it yet around here. I hope not to.

I think the ratings and the cache type should match reality.I would think if you are going to create a liars cache,at least those 2 items on the page should be correct.

jeff barstool

And now, this seems the right time and place to come out of the closet and admit the ugly truth -- a truth that most of you have suspected all along:

Yes, it is true that we may have gained a bit of fame or infamy for the so-called "extreme terrain" caches in our Psycho Urban Caches and Psycho Backcountry Caches series. However, it is now time to tell the truth, that the fame and infamy were ill-earned and were part of a hoax, for all lies must come to an eventual end. Let the truth be known: All of our Psycho caches in both Psycho cache series are really tall tale caches and their true D/T ratings are all 1/1 or 1.5/1.5 at most. And, in reality, the actual cache in each case is a single-stage traditional microcache, where the container is magnetic keyholder placed on the guardrail of the parking lot/parking area, or under a nearby lamppost skirt! And all those log entries and photos of the cache hide sites or of seekers finding the Psycho caches were faked in Adobe Photoshop by a digital graphics artist located in Cincinatti, Ohio. Likewise, the log entries were faked by a small advertising copy agency in Miami, Florida. So, all our Psycho caches were a total hoax, a total deception. :wub::D:D

I'm crushed. I remember the first time I ran across PUC #9. The shock. The wonder. People REALLY did this??? Now my bubble has been burst..... sigh....

^_^

Of course, since this thread is about tall tale caches, I may have been telling you a tall tale when I "admitted" publicly that all of our PUC caches are tall tale caches! Guess no one can know for sure! Isn't it frustrating? :ph34r::):D

:):D

:D

...Then there are others that give opinions that run 180 degrees in the other direction often at the mere concept of a liars cache having had no experience in finding one.

I'm not seeking to invalidate these opinions, but I would like to explore the motivation for such strong reactions.

What sort of changes are in order in your opinion?

TeamBarStool summed up my opinion and answers your question:
...I think the ratings and the cache type should match reality.I would think if you are going to create a liars cache,at least those 2 items on the page should be correct.

Hate to spill the beans.. I wanted to use this concept again with a different twist later...

But there was a second waypoint container under the original. None have found it so I was SAVING the embarrassment.. but hoped that one would have had the glory of actually having pulled off logging it. There was a hint to it "dig deeper" [in the ROCK pile.. not concrete rubble as it was suggested before]

But once the person saw what was said in the original .. they took it at face value.. and thought the 'game' was over.. (My index card led to much confusions.. because it started with in order to log this as a find..you have to lie.) You should have seen what the second waypoint told you to do "in order to log it again as a find".. Which is WHY I named it the "Gauntlet... Let the Games Begin"

For that idea.. I wish to thank "Show me the Cache" for giving me that "doubling up" idea through one of his caches..

I would have had rather taked the "On Trial" chair a bit longer.. to keep my "secret" safe to use another time when all this heat cooled off.. but somehow all the FUN has cooled as well...

AS I have always said.. "I Never LIED"

~The Lil Otter

I finally read this thread, because I saw that the last post was from The Lil Otter.

My summary of the thread: regret, irony and hypocrisy.

I regret that a cache that many have enjoyed is gone now, that a good cacher's name has been dragged through the mud, and that folks are fighting instead of caching.

The only thing that would upset me about a liar's cache is someone "outing" it to give away the surprise. For me, the idea of a liar's cache was ruined when one of the most active posters in this thread disclosed here in the forums a few years ago that JoGPS' cache was a liar's cache. I found that ironic. I had been planning a trip to Nashville to find that cache, and suddenly lost enthusiasm and haven't been back since.

The hypocrisy I noted in this thread is because of another active poster, who has launched attacks against other geocachers, yet elsewhere posts indignantly about perceived attacks against another geocacher in an unrelated context.

An interesting read. Well, I'm off to drive 100 miles so I can hike in the rain several miles so that I can crawl on my back through a muddy cave to find a cache. If it turns out to be a liar's cache, I am sure I will still have a great time. There are lots of other cool caches in that National Forest, and I will be caching with good friends and meeting some new friends. ANY experience can be positive, if you allow it to be.

(covering my tail yet again)... If anyone wishes to yet HAMMER me about my allowing a "Double" logging on a cache page.. I had a new (now actually OLD cache page in the wings) that would be created to honor the FIRST cacher that discovered the second waypoint.. if anyone wants to dig deeper.. there was only one park in the WI Dells area not loaded with drive up micros.. When I tweaked my Gauntlet I felt guilty for tying up a park all this time.. so now it's free to place a cache there because the Gauntlet's been archived.

~The Lil Otter

An interesting read. Well, I'm off to drive 100 miles so I can find a cache. If it turns out to be a liar's cache, I am sure I will still have a great time. There are lots of other cool caches in that National Forest, and I will be caching with good friends and meeting some new friends. ANY experience can be positive, if you allow it to be.

Driving? To find a cache? Brilliant! :ph34r:

Are there any scientists in the group? It seems a couple gals up North have discovered a new element, "TemperTantrumanium". It appears to be of the radioactive gasses group, since it leaves folks bloated with hot air, croaking like toads. Anybody know the half-life of a tantrum? :wub:

Hate to spill the beans.. I wanted to use this concept again with a different twist later...

But there was a second waypoint container under the original.

ok... I'll go with this.

Did the 1st stage contain the coords for the 2nd and final stage? Was the reviewer given the multiple waypoints?

I'm just trying to figure out how it was listed as a multi and if it could really work as one?

Thanks

ok... I'll go with this.

Did the 1st stage contain the coords for the 2nd and final stage? Was the reviewer given the multiple waypoints?

I'm just trying to figure out how it was listed as a multi and if it could really work as one?

Thanks

The container's log book held the clue to the location of the second... the second held the waypoint to the final. Yes the reviewer had the coords.

The saving grace throughout this whole time [these last two months] was my thoughts that I could again tweak this whole cache differently later.. was to actually have the Liar "part" as a second or third "agenda".. so that I would not have this 'anger' happen again.. but I wash my hands of this whole mess.

Geocaching is what you make of it.. good or bad.. I have never attacked these gals.. asked others to follow my lead.. thanked others for mentoring/helping them behind the scenes.. It killed me to "out" AGAIN my own cache.. so HOW much more is needed?? I have other secrets.. other ideas.. I traveled alot.. saw many AMAZING hide situations that I could tweak to fit each area I wanted to show off.. All you guys did was wish to nitpick me to death.. it's time for you to move on and find your next easy prey.. I no longer wish to play in your Game.. just as some didn't wish to play in mine... oh well..

~The Lil Otter

ok... I'll go with this.

Thanks

The container's log book held the clue to the location of the second... the second held the waypoint to the final. Yes the reviewer had the coords...

thank you for the reply

... All you guys did was wish to nitpick me to death.. it's time for you to move on and find your next easy prey.. I no longer wish to play in your Game.. just as some didn't wish to play in mine... oh well..
Now hold on. You revived this thread when it had all but died. It would likely have falled off the page if you hadn't brought it back to topic.

Wow...I had never heard of a liar's cache before so I came into this forum just to see what it was...and ended up spending wayyy too much time reading about them. I have mixed opinions about them. It seems to me that it wouldn't be a liar's cache if you told the truth, and yet the lies, I guess, could be dangerous, and of course have pissed off I few folks. When I went to the archived cache page, and a couple of other liar's cache pages listed, the first thing I did is what I often do....I scrolled down and looked at any pictures cahcers had taken to familiarlize myself with the area since I often just take off to go caching with very little. The first thing I noticed is that the cache couldn't be as hard as it advertized....one picture shows a skinny kid in it, another a couple that doesn't look that athletic, and some ovbvious attempts to make it look like a hard cache...people trying to scramble over a big rock...and much of the terrain looked flat. Of course, the pictures could be a lie! I also read many of the logs that people wrote after it was archived saying how much they would miss it and how sorry they were. Personally, if I truly thought this was a 5 star cache, I would have done a lot more research, especially if it was far away. I haven't yet done a 5 star terrain one....not too many around, and I would also email several of the cachers who have found it to get a sense of it. Of course, I realize they could also lie...I don't know. When I saw the picture of the helicopter landing someone, I would know that couldn't be a real cache. I did see some cache pictures from somewhere in southern Cal. when I was cruising thru the forums several months ago showing a cavern and how you had to be lifted down to it by a sort of rope swing....now I wonder if that is a liar's cache....wish I had kept track of it now!

But here is what I also want to say....I haven't frequented the forums much since I would rather be out caching, but the weather here in Washington has nearly been uncachable...and I noticed that several of you have lots of caches and many entries here, and I assume jobs and families...and perhaps this should be a separate topic...but where do you find the time to log in the forums, cache, work...etc? I might log back in to follow this thread...then again, I might be out caching...and I hope that both Cammocacher and LO and others involved soon move back to the outdoors and remember why you love geocaching. I also hope LO does another liar's cache!! :ph34r:

I finally read this thread, because I saw that the last post was from The Lil Otter.

My summary of the thread: regret, irony and hypocrisy.

I regret that a cache that many have enjoyed is gone now, that a good cacher's name has been dragged through the mud, and that folks are fighting instead of caching.

The only thing that would upset me about a liar's cache is someone "outing" it to give away the surprise. For me, the idea of a liar's cache was ruined when one of the most active posters in this thread disclosed here in the forums a few years ago that JoGPS' cache was a liar's cache. I found that ironic. I had been planning a trip to Nashville to find that cache, and suddenly lost enthusiasm and haven't been back since.

The hypocrisy I noted in this thread is because of another active poster, who has launched attacks against other geocachers, yet elsewhere posts indignantly about perceived attacks against another geocacher in an unrelated context.

An interesting read. Well, I'm off to drive 100 miles so I can hike in the rain several miles so that I can crawl on my back through a muddy cave to find a cache. If it turns out to be a liar's cache, I am sure I will still have a great time. There are lots of other cool caches in that National Forest, and I will be caching with good friends and meeting some new friends. ANY experience can be positive, if you allow it to be.

Lep, I felt that was a great post, particuarly the parts about the tall tale caches. And yes, I agree with your sentiments about even unexpected finds of tall tale geocaches, and I would put it this way: geocaches and geocaching, as is also true of all other areas of life, is made of what we bring to it, how much love and care and grace we bring to the table, and our experience of a cache will be largely determined by what we bring to the table.

BTW, one of my favorite tall tale caches of all times, located in another part of the country, has been "outed" as a tall tale cache many times, but I, along with many others, still enjoy that cache very much! I hope that you someday get to Nashville to hunt JoGPS's caches!

Thank you!

But there was a second waypoint container under the original. None have found it so I was SAVING the embarrassment.. but hoped that one would have had the glory of actually having pulled off logging it. There was a hint to it "dig deeper" [in the ROCK pile.. not concrete rubble as it was suggested before]

But once the person saw what was said in the original .. they took it at face value.. and thought the 'game' was over.. (My index card led to much confusions.. because it started with in order to log this as a find..you have to lie.) You should have seen what the second waypoint told you to do "in order to log it again as a find".. Which is WHY I named it the "Gauntlet... Let the Games Begin"

For that idea.. I wish to thank "Show me the Cache" for giving me that "doubling up" idea through one of his caches..

I would have had rather taked the "On Trial" chair a bit longer.. to keep my "secret" safe to use another time when all this heat cooled off.. but somehow all the FUN has cooled as well...

AS I have always said.. "I Never LIED"

~The Lil Otter

Your Gauntlet cache sounds like it was great fun -- sorry I never got a chance to log it! Hope you continue to place tall tale caches! I wish you the best!

Yes, it is true that we may have gained a bit of fame or infamy for the so-called "extreme terrain" caches in our Psycho Urban Caches and Psycho Backcountry Caches series. However, it is now time to tell the truth, that the fame and infamy were ill-earned and were part of a hoax, for all lies must come to an eventual end. Let the truth be known: All of our Psycho caches in both Psycho cache series are really tall tale caches and their true D/T ratings are all 1/1 or 1.5/1.5 at most. And, in reality, the actual cache in each case is a single-stage traditional microcache, where the container is magnetic keyholder placed on the guardrail of the parking lot/parking area, or under a nearby lamppost skirt! And all those log entries and photos of the cache hide sites or of seekers finding the Psycho caches were faked in Adobe Photoshop by a digital graphics artist located in Cincinatti, Ohio. Likewise, the log entries were faked by a small advertising copy agency in Miami, Florida. So, all our Psycho caches were a total hoax, a total deception. :blink::blink::o

:o

WOW Vinny, You got some 'splaining to do! You mean to tell me that not only have we not really found fourteen extreme caches with high terrain/difficulty ratings, but now I'm a figment of my own imagination and don't REALLY exist?!?

Ponderous!

Yes, it is true that we may have gained a bit of fame or infamy for the so-called "extreme terrain" caches in our Psycho Urban Caches and Psycho Backcountry Caches series. However, it is now time to tell the truth, that the fame and infamy were ill-earned and were part of a hoax, for all lies must come to an eventual end. Let the truth be known: All of our Psycho caches in both Psycho cache series are really tall tale caches and their true D/T ratings are all 1/1 or 1.5/1.5 at most. And, in reality, the actual cache in each case is a single-stage traditional microcache, where the container is magnetic keyholder placed on the guardrail of the parking lot/parking area, or under a nearby lamppost skirt! And all those log entries and photos of the cache hide sites or of seekers finding the Psycho caches were faked in Adobe Photoshop by a digital graphics artist located in Cincinatti, Ohio. Likewise, the log entries were faked by a small advertising copy agency in Miami, Florida. So, all our Psycho caches were a total hoax, a total deception. :blink::blink::o

WOW Vinny, You got some 'splaining to do! You mean to tell me that not only have we not really found fourteen extreme caches with high terrain/difficulty ratings, but now I'm a figment of my own imagination and don't REALLY exist?!?

Ponderous!

So, now ya know, LPYankee Fan!

Ponderous!

I always thought you were a figment of my imagination, but Geeklove swears she see's you also.

Yes, it is true that we may have gained a bit of fame or infamy for the so-called "extreme terrain" caches in our Psycho Urban Caches and Psycho Backcountry Caches series. However, it is now time to tell the truth, that the fame and infamy were ill-earned and were part of a hoax, for all lies must come to an eventual end. Let the truth be known: All of our Psycho caches in both Psycho cache series are really tall tale caches and their true D/T ratings are all 1/1 or 1.5/1.5 at most. And, in reality, the actual cache in each case is a single-stage traditional microcache, where the container is magnetic keyholder placed on the guardrail of the parking lot/parking area, or under a nearby lamppost skirt! And all those log entries and photos of the cache hide sites or of seekers finding the Psycho caches were faked in Adobe Photoshop by a digital graphics artist located in Cincinatti, Ohio. Likewise, the log entries were faked by a small advertising copy agency in Miami, Florida. So, all our Psycho caches were a total hoax, a total deception. :blink::o:o

Ponderous!

I always thought you were a figment of my imagination, but Geeklove swears she see's you also.

Folks, in the interests of complete and full disclosure, it is necesssary for me to reveal that the eXtremeJeep account is also a hoax in that the account owner is a seven-year old girl named Amanda living in Brooklyn, NY who created the account and writes the posts as part of her kindergarten Creative Writing class, and who has never seen a real geocache nor a real Jeep in her life. She purchased rights to log finds on Psycho Urban caches by placing the winning bids on ten "Find Log Rights for a Psycho Urban Cache" auctions on Ebay.

:blink::o:P

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Vinny, I demand a refund; our contract specifically stated that you would never reveal our true identity.

You wussy wimp! :o Your demands are worthless, just as the contract which you hold in your hands is worthless, beause you refused to sign your name to the contract in blood, as was demanded in Paragraph 43B, 14:22a, line 3. So there! I plan to tell the world the truth: that you are really Mildred, a 108-year old resident of a nursing home who has only really found one cache (a lamppost micro in the staff parking lot) in her life, and who writes fake log entries as a pastime! :o

However, on a gentler and kinder note, do please keep bidding on our "Find Log Rights for a Psycho Urban Cache" auctions on Ebay; the income from those auctions helps to buy food for the beagle! :o

:blink::blink:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Just wanted to add a couple things:

looking at the terrain rating, it was a 4. You don't typically need any thing too special for a terrain of 4

(taken from Clayjar's rating system)

**** Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

Sure, 4 is a little over-rated (we've all encountered caches with incorrect ratings), but it says nothing about requiring specialized equipment.

And then there is this log entry. This is what cinched it for me, and convinced me that I could find this cache. Read the first letter of each line:

April 16, 2005 by (a wise cacher) (511 found)

All I can say about this geocaching experience is… well that’s a good question…

Let’s see, what can I say that the others before didn't already say?

Lots of the previous geocachers posted dire warnings about what I might encounter on this one.

Luckily, I took their advice so I prepared well for the strenuous challenge.

I tackled this one on my own since Mary was away. How bad could it be?

Everyone should be aware before heading out of the difficulty that is in store for them.

Safety should be your first concern. But be sure to have fun!

Bec

Edited by greyhounder

And then there is this log entry. This is what cinched it for me, and convinced me that I could find this cache. Read the first letter of each line:

April 16, 2005 by (a wise cacher) (511 found)

All I can say about this geocaching experience is… well that's a good question…

Let's see, what can I say that the others before didn't already say?

Lots of the previous geocachers posted dire warnings about what I might encounter on this one.

Luckily, I took their advice so I prepared well for the strenuous challenge.

I tackled this one on my own since Mary was away. How bad could it be?

Everyone should be aware before heading out of the difficulty that is in store for them.

Safety should be your first concern. But be sure to have fun!

Bec

OMG! I read that before and never picked up on it. :blink::o:blink:

I did the Gauntlet cache and I have no regrets. I keep my SD loaded with over 2000 caches at all times and even before I had a GPSr with an SD card I kept over 450 caches loaded at all times. Once I found it I just went on and did other caches. No harm.

I can understand some people being upset but hey Live and Learn. I spent some extra dough for things I might not have otherwise needed however I used many of those things while on other cache hunts so I don't feel it was a waste of money.

It was still my choice whether or not to do this cache. I didn't have to, I wanted to. I decided to do it alone because I prefer to blame myself for errors rather then someone else.

Would have been fun to find the other hidden cache however there were muggles around when I found it and didn't have alot of time to review the enclosed info. I still doubt that I would have found it anyways because after finding it my mind was already thinking of a story to tell and not should I dig deeper.

Was a fun experience and one that I would not have ever ventured was it not for Geocaching and the cache owner. For that reason alone it was a rewarding experience.

Sorry all, my "inexperienced" arse just came from a thread that was talking about a REAL cache with REAL difficulties and REAL adventure!! Something I would rather KNOW about as to being lied to!! Keep your LIAR'S caches...children tell tall tales...MOST grownups would rather stick to the truth!!

Yep....slept on it a few more nights...I try to teach my children NOT to lie, sorry, I still feel the same way!!

What should be changed so it's not misconstrued??? Do away with the lie part and make it the cache you describe (if you have the ability, the know how and the cajones). OTHERWISE, leave the "big kids" caches to those that can make them!! :lol: LIAR'S CACHES=total waste of time IMHO!!!!

LIAR'S CACHES=total waste of time IMHO!!!!

For you maybe. Tons of other people got the joke or accepted a life lesson that what seems too good to be true often is, or don't believe everything you read.

Many of those same folks count their "Tall Tale/Fictional" experience among their favorite caching experiences. That is a solid fact.

Your particular brand of opinion is valid by what I percieve as a pretty small minority of folks given the success of Tall Tale caches that last for years on end, or they wouldn't last as long as they do before a self righteous popinjay decides to ruin it for everyone else while deluding themselves that it is a public service.

I won't argue to invalidate your opinion, you're welcome to it. But I find it funny that folks that share your opinion seem to be trying to invalidate the opinions of others that don't agree. I.E. Likening our (quite obvious to most people) fictional fun to tripping an old person with a cane. :laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

I wonder...are the majority REALLY happy with what they found...or too embarrassed to admit it pissed them off???

BTW...what was obvious about that cache??? Maybe I'm a bit slow, but it sounds like there are many out there that are just as slow as I. And yes...I stink at puzzle caches...

I'm sorry if you feel I'm trying to "invalidate" your opinion...hey to each their own...but when a lie makes me spend my money in ways that I wouldn't have normally, get's my anticipation up to such a level as what many PROBABLY perceive a TRUE 5/5 would, get's me to wasting my good time to plan, pack travel and everything else involved JUST to find that I was suckered by a LIE (especially if I contact and try to verify the realness of the cache...and am LIED to again)...I'm not going to be happy...and I wouldn't waste my time on ANY other hides by this cacher...if you have to lie to someone to get them to come out for a cache, I'd probably rethink my actions.

I wouldn't mind a LIAR'S cache if you actually made the ratings true...have fun...but not at someone else's expense!! The problem is HOW DO YOU KNOW??? Point out the OBVIOUSNESS of the lie and I'll shut up.

I also like the "it's not a wasted trip, there's many more caches out there to do than just the liar's" attitude! You're right, but there are plenty around MY AREA that wouldn't COST me my time, money and eventual hard feelings to go after...I can do them anytime. If I'm planning for a 5/5, I'm OBVIOUSLY looking for a REAL experience...not a joke of one that leaves me wanting and wondering.

I wonder...are the majority REALLY happy with what they found...or too embarrassed to admit it pissed them off???

BTW...what was obvious about that cache??? Maybe I'm a bit slow, but it sounds like there are many out there that are just as slow as I. And yes...I stink at puzzle caches...

I'm sorry if you feel I'm trying to "invalidate" your opinion...hey to each their own...but when a lie makes me spend my money in ways that I wouldn't have normally, get's my anticipation up to such a level as what many PROBABLY perceive a TRUE 5/5 would, get's me to wasting my good time to plan, pack travel and everything else involved JUST to find that I was suckered by a LIE (especially if I contact and try to verify the realness of the cache...and am LIED to again)...I'm not going to be happy...and I wouldn't waste my time on ANY other hides by this cacher...if you have to lie to someone to get them to come out for a cache, I'd probably rethink my actions.

I wouldn't mind a LIAR'S cache if you actually made the ratings true...have fun...but not at someone else's expense!! The problem is HOW DO YOU KNOW??? Point out the OBVIOUSNESS of the lie and I'll shut up.

I also like the "it's not a wasted trip, there's many more caches out there to do than just the liar's" attitude! You're right, but there are plenty around MY AREA that wouldn't COST me my time, money and eventual hard feelings to go after...I can do them anytime. If I'm planning for a 5/5, I'm OBVIOUSLY looking for a REAL experience...not a joke of one that leaves me wanting and wondering.

You know, you talk a lot about wanting real Terrain 5 caches. From my brief -- and admittedly incomplete -- review on your profile page of about one-half of your Traditional cache finds, I did not see any finds that seemed to have a Terrain rating higher then 3.0 Since you are talking so much about wanting real Terrain 5 caches, I invite you to come out to the Central Western Maryland area, primarly around Frederick, MD, and tackle our Psycho Urban caches; they will give you a run for your money! We have some that many people get frightened just looking at. Or, if you would prefer to travel to the ID/WY border, you are welcome to try our Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - Bitch Creek Crossing! :laughing::blink::huh::P

... I invite you to come out to the Central Western Maryland area, primarly around Frederick, MD, and tackle our Psycho Urban caches; they will give you a run for your money! We have some that many people get frightened just looking at. Or, if you would prefer to travel to the ID/WY border, you are welcome to try our Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - Bitch Creek Crossing! :laughing::blink::huh::P
Weren't they outed as liar's caches earlier in the thread? Am I mistaken? Am I having a stroke?
... I invite you to come out to the Central Western Maryland area, primarly around Frederick, MD, and tackle our Psycho Urban caches; they will give you a run for your money! We have some that many people get frightened just looking at. Or, if you would prefer to travel to the ID/WY border, you are welcome to try our Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - Bitch Creek Crossing! :laughing::blink::DB)
Weren't they outed as liar's caches earlier in the thread? Am I mistaken? Am I having a stroke?

Who really knows? The person who outed them as tall tale caches may have been lying! Oh, wait, that was me... :P:huh: Well, I just don't know! :huh: I will say, however, that Rockin Roddy knows the truth... :)B):P

Where are the posts from the afronted multitudes that now have a clear chance to get in a shot while LO is down to add weight to your argument?

No puzzles here.

(especially if I contact and try to verify the realness of the cache...and am LIED to again)...

That really is hypothetical yet you pawn it off as a foregone conclusion. We all know what you are talking about.

Okay let's deal in FACTS shall we? LO has stated and restated that she NEVER lied. Her accusers have NEVER sported proof that she DID. Produce some proof, or don't go there.

The problem is HOW DO YOU KNOW??? Point out the OBVIOUSNESS of the lie and I'll shut up.

Okay, I admit I'm too durn lazy to hunt down a different link.

I'm OBVIOUSLY looking for a REAL experience...not a joke of one that leaves me wanting and wondering.

It's becoming obvious to me that maybe your sense of humor is a little underdeveloped. Liars caches exist all over without being openly outed and dragged through the mud. How is that every single one, and there are many, don't just implode within a few finds? I know of a few even OLDER than the one outed here. I submit to you that MOST people get the joke.

Edited by Snoogans

I don't have any 5/5s around here, V&S...but I did try a nice toughie in Vegas and didn't make it as to my poor condition. I have a back problem that is only going to worsen as I go on in life...eventually needing an operation that will likely end ANY attempts at mountain climbing or ANY adventurous activities again.

So...now you may understand why I'd be very upset to have gone the distance and prepared only to be duped...I only have so much time left and then no more fun! I would like to climb Mt Wilson and Bridge MT again before that time comes, and I'd like to get a true 5/5 (or even a 4/4) before then as well!! What I don't need is to THINK I'm going after one and then find it's as easy as the local micro I could have done around my home area.

Yes...I'm being selfish here. I'm selfish that I want to do as much as I can before my fun ends for good, which could very easily speed up the time for me to have to go under the knife...my family points this out often! I'm selfish for not thinking about all those with such well developed senses of humor. Sorry guys, I guess I wasn't thinking about your fun...but then, I already said I didn't care about the liar's caches as long as they are discernable.

I'm being selfish to ask that a cache BE what it is said to be...but we all have our reasons...maybe we should all consider that when we contemplate our next hide...no, no problem with a liar's cache as long as I can figure out that they are what they are and not get duped into doing it.

LO stated that the OP contacted her, she had a chance to set them straight and didn't...that is stated.

...I will say, however, that Rockin Roddy knows the truth... :laughing::blink::huh:
Does the & keep you from getting PMs?

Yes, only on the forum system and that is quite accidental; it was not intentional. The PM on our profile page at the main gc.com site works just fine, and, of course, our email address is prominently posted on our Profile page as well, so folks have little problem getting hold of us!

At least I admit it Clan Riffster...you have just shown your true mentality...very intelligent...who typed all those long words for you??

Sorry...don't want to get personal, but if you want to act like that, I'll call you on it, no problem!!

I guess what bothers me the most about that LO listing is that she made it a 5/5. ANYONE that has been around as long as a charter member has, should realize how a 5/5 could have a big draw from far and wide. Make a liar's cache all you want, but at least have enough sense to NOT make the ratings so high that you'll likely have people coming from far and wide to get diasappointed!!

Hey CR...YUP!!!