2007 Compass Rose photo contest

CoinsAndPins

Nouvelle France - by Compass and Astrolabe

NouvelleFrance.jpg

This is part of a map of 'Nouvelle France' made by Samuel de Champlain.

Champlain was a famous explorer and map maker,

the astrolabe and compass were tools in his repertoire for navigation and cartography.

This astrolabe, (which now lives in the Canadian Museum of Civilization) was found in 1867 in Ontario by a 14 year old boy, named Edward Lee.

The device is inscribed 'Paris, 1603'. Now there is no record in Champlain's diaries of having ever lost an astrolabe, but in 1613 Champlain did travel up the Ottawa river.

To avoid the rapids, he chose a course through a number of small lakes near what is now the town of Cobden, Ontario.

Champlain and his men had to portage over and under fallen logs at one particularly difficult point near Green Lake, now also known as Astrolabe Lake.

It was here, according to many, that Champlain lost his astrolabe.

If this is correct, the astrolabe remained where it had fallen for 254 years.

This astrolabe is unique. It is the smallest of 35 mariner's astrolabes surviving from the early part of the seventeenth century and the only one from France.

Nouvelle France later became known as Lower Canada, and now the Province of Quebec, and our home.

As a technical note: This image was taken in black and white with a slight sepia tone and increased contrast through camera settings set before aquiring the image.

An orange filter was used on the camera to get the deep darker tones in the glitter enamel on the Compass Rose. This is the 2 tone XLE.

When does the contest end??? I have a picture but there's a cat hair in it!!!! I'm planning on retrying to take it tomorrow in the sunlight.... on Monday April 30th do I have time???

CA

Hi CA, you should be able to still do it today. But sunlight?!?! I don't know, sure looks more like clouds and rain.

But that can actually provide much better lighting conditions! Good luck!

PF

Okay. Even though my Compass Rose coin is 200 miles from me right now, I figured I would post this anyway, since it's the last day. I got this done in Mannheim, Germany at the Dragon Tattoo parlor when I got back from Iraq in 2003. I was going to take a picture of the tattoo with my '06 coin laying next to it, but you get the idea. I know it doesn't qualify for the contest, but I thought some folks would get a kick out of it anyway.

100_1640.jpg

Edited by ElementalJay

I'm only adding this one because of the great history and the fact that this is a real Compass Rose with 2 Compass Rose coins. I have other pictures with the coins in close up but in order to see the Rose the zoom out was inevitable. And the goal was to show the Bigger Rose. Fun picture to take.

This Rose is in front of the USS South Dakota Memorial. The USS SD was also known as Battleship X during WW II. It was a new class of battleship at the time and its identity was withheld so as not to give away more than was needed to those we were fighting against. The USS South Dakota was Admiral Halsey's Flagship, Queen of the Fleet. She was also one of the most decorated battleships of WW II.

The Memorial looks like the USS SD (some of the memorial is real parts from the SD) and inside contains a museum with memorabilia and relics donated by former crew members. It's a real step back in history and makes us appreciate that the freedom we enjoy now was in part given to us by the men and women who fought in WW II.

You can read more about the USS South Dakota here: http://members.aol.com/ussdakota/history.htm

A Rose by Any Other Name is Just a Compass

3f979bc2-322e-474a-b17e-46cba36e7c7e.jpg

We’ve enjoyed looking at all the entries. There is some real talent out there. Thanks to everyone for sharing the great pics and to Coins and Pins for the great contest.

Edited by GPX Navigators

I dont even have an entry and I find the waiting pretty awfull!!

Now I'm just thinking about all the people that will have the warning saying someone posted in this thread and will be stressed out thinking that the winner has been announced!

Congrats to all that sent an entry there are some really really nice pictures

The results are in. This was difficult to judge and there were lots of great photos. Macro photography of coins is very difficult no matter how much training you have or read about, and some of you pulled it off very well. Some of the themes were fantastic and the ingenuity was wonderful. Here are the results:

1st place: Mauison for "Rose Petals" post 35

Runner up: CacheAgent for "Reflections" post 119

2nd Runner up: Phamtom for "Magnifying" post 106

The first place winner gets the one and only copper/nickel compass rose and the runner-ups will receive an LE version of the 2007 Compass Rose.

Honorable mentions go to:

PengoFamily for "Roses on a Chart" post 77

OshnDoc for "Brunton Compass" post 90

This was not a category in this contest, but if there was then the winner of the category "going out on limb" would be glennk721 for post 17.

I thought the photo "Shadow Hand" (post 102) by 57chevy was a pretty cool affect.

A total of 8 judges were selected. To prevent a conflict of interest, none of the judges are employed by CoinsAndPins, so I was not one of the judges. The photo selection was based on a grid scale for the top 4 selections from each judge based in order of preference; so most of the participants received a vote.

Thank you to the 23 participants who submitted photos in the contest. This was fun and I loved seeing your talents. The next contest will be coming.

This was not a category in this contest, but if there was then the winner of the category "going out on limb" would be glennk721 for post 17.

Thanks for this great contest and thanks for the mention ! But would have to say it was just my coin, Credits go out to Model Citizen , He was the one to "go out on a limb" :wub:

Congrats to the winners and runner ups, all great photos !! Glenn :blink:

Edited by glennk721

The results are in. This was difficult to judge and there were lots of great photos. Macro photography of coins is very difficult no matter how much training you have or read about, and some of you pulled it off very well. Some of the themes were fantastic and the ingenuity was wonderful. Here are the results:

The first place winner gets the one and only copper/nickel compass rose and the runner-ups will receive an LE version of the 2007 Compass Rose.

I thought the photo "Shadow Hand" (post 102) by 57chevy was a pretty cool affect.

A total of 8 judges were selected. To prevent a conflict of interest, none of the judges are employed by CoinsAndPins, so I was not one of the judges. The photo selection was based on a grid scale for the top 4 selections from each judge based in order of preference; so most of the participants received a vote.

Thank you to the 23 participants who submitted photos in the contest. This was fun and I loved seeing your talents. The next contest will be coming.

Yoooohooooo!!!!! :blink:

Thank you!!! Congrats to everyone ! All the pictures were beautiful!

Thanks,

Cache Agent

Since nobody else is entering I guess I'll get the ball rolling.

By default, I'm winning! Woot!

Forgive me if it's not a great picture. I'm not a great photographer and don't have much of an eye for composition, shading, framing, etc.

That's more of hobbit's work :P

compassroseontable7wk.jpg

just found this thread and dealing with photography i had to read. this is a super pic!

lara

Here is our entry for this week:

The Elusive Micro

TheElusiveMicro.jpg

Please note that although it may look like it, there was no digital manipulation or post processing done to this image with the exception of cropping, sharpening, and resizing. All permitted and/or required for this contest. ...

another gorgeous one especially with no photoshop tricks

yes, indeed some great photos. Not to mention the winner of this cointest was, at the time, the only person to ever have a full set of 2007 Compass Rose geocoins. He received the XXLE Copper version as the grand prize (1 made).

I wonder where that Copper beauty ever made it off to . . . .

yes, i wonder.

what a wonderful bunch of photos but the only the thing was that one of the winners, can't see the pic any longer. too bad.

lara