2007 Compass Rose photo contest

CoinsAndPins

Lots of contests, but what the hey…

Announcing the 2007 Compass Rose geocoin photo contest!

One 2007 Compass Rose geocoin will be given away to the winner. This coin will be made with a special finish that no other 2007 Compass Rose coin will be made with; a real one-of-a-kind. Best part is, the winner can do whatever they want with the coin since it will be theirs; no strings attached! Sell it on an e-place; we don't care. Although a charity sale would be great.

Objective:

Post a photograph of any compass rose coin(s) made by us with a theme pertaining to compasses, compass use, navigation, and/or exploration. The photos will be judged on uniqueness, creativity, and relevance. Personal and club coins made with one of the compass rose dies are authorized.

The winning photograph will be picked by a panel of 5 judges. The judges will remain confidential to prevent any so called coin kissing or geo-bribery. The judges are not allowed to participate with submissions.

Relevant testimonials may be submitted with the photo and may possibly be used as part of the judging.

It is preferred you post your submissions in this thread, but you may email them directly to us, but posting them here is preferred. Did I mention that posting them here is preferred?

Rules:

1. Photos must not exceed 500 pixels in height and/or length, and not to exceed 70K file size. Let's help save band width and download time; help save the computer animals and robots.

2. The compass rose coin (compass side) must be visible in the photo. (changed 1/23/07)

3. Photographs only. No graphics or photo shopped/altered pictures. Cropping, straightening, and sharpening is acceptable.

4. The entire coin does not have to be in the photograph, but at least 60% of it does, for those who are trying some different photographing techniques. (added 10 Jan)

5. No copyrighted photographs

6. Maximum of one photo per week per caching name. Leave your hands out of your socks.

7. Randomly selected picture submission may be posted on our website, so don't submit anything you don't want made public; only family friendly please. If you don't want it posted on the web, then don't submit.

8. Fun pictures are cool. Intellectual pictures are cool too. Fun and intellectual pictures are also cool.

9. Check back here for any updates to the rules. We reserve the right to adjust the rules to preserve the integrity of the contest.

10. The winner must provide all contact information to us within 10 days of the winning notification or the runner up will receive winning status.

This contest is intended for fun and to test your creativity on this subject matter. Some of you are extremely creative; flaunt it.

The contest will end on April 30, 2007. Changed 3/6/07

Thank you and happy picture shooting.

Edit: Clarified rules by request of the OP

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think somewhere in the rules it says no photoshopping. Too bad, cuz that would have been all kinds of fun!

No photo manipulating for this contest. However, an interesting idea if people are interested, we can start another contest later on for a 2007 Compass Rose manipulated photo contest.? A different coin will be the prize of course.

For this contest the entire coin does not have to be in the photograph, but at least 60% of it does, for those who are trying some different photographing techniques. The coin must be recognizable in the photo.

I think somewhere in the rules it says no photoshopping. Too bad, cuz that would have been all kinds of fun!

No photo manipulating for this contest. However, an interesting idea if people are interested, we can start another contest later on for a 2007 Compass Rose manipulated photo contest.? A different coin will be the prize of course.

For this contest the entire coin does not have to be in the photograph, but at least 60% of it does, for those who are trying some different photographing techniques. The coin must be recognizable in the photo.

I should have read the whole post before diving on the reply button! :)

Since nobody else is entering I guess I'll get the ball rolling.

By default, I'm winning! Woot!

Forgive me if it's not a great picture. I'm not a great photographer and don't have much of an eye for composition, shading, framing, etc.

That's more of hobbit's work :huh:

compassroseontable7wk.jpg

Since nobody else is entering I guess I'll get the ball rolling.

By default, I'm winning! Woot!

Forgive me if it's not a great picture. I'm not a great photographer and don't have much of an eye for composition, shading, framing, etc.

That's more of hobbit's work :huh:

compassroseontable7wk.jpg

That's good picture! Looks like something you'd find in an old historical library (or something of the sort).

Greets, Wanted to bump this topic to the top, I was unsure if the photo's must be posted in this thread to comply with contest rules, also the website photo's are larger then requried. Here is a photo of Model Citizen using the Compass Rose coin to help guide his way to the landing zone. Enjoy, Glenn :D

Greets all, Model Citizen and I merged for a coin contest photograph, Also is a link to a website created with other photos for the contest as to save bandwith on this forum, Enjoy , Glenn

My Coin, His Jump, My Webpage Design :D

diveundercanopy.jpg

Website for tale of this Contest photo, and other images :D

Glennk721 & Model Citizen 2007 Compass Rose Contest Photo's

Here is a pic of the prize coin for this contest. It is two-tone copper with nickel highlights. This coin was not easy to make and actually was the last coin I received from the batch since it had to me remade a few times. Copper two-tone plating is the hardest finish to apply; so hard that we no longer offer it as an option in most cases.

This is the only 2007 Compass Rose with this finish.

cmpss-rse-07-cop-nick-400.jpg

Here is a pic of the prize coin for this contest. It is two-tone copper with nickel highlights. This coin was not easy to make and actually was the last coin I received from the batch since it had to me remade a few times. Copper two-tone plating is the hardest finish to apply; so hard that we no longer offer it as an option in most cases.

SWEET!! :rolleyes:

OMG Me want!!!!!!!! I'll give you $100 for it.... ;)

Here's my first entry:

v.jpg

Good angle!

No compass rose coins, so no contest entries for me.

Thanks! Did you notice the rose being reflected in the 2005 Compass Rose geocoin? Kinda lucked out on that, noticed it while positioning the camera. ;)

Edited by Mauison

Here is our entry for this week:

The Elusive Micro

TheElusiveMicro.jpg

Please note that although it may look like it, there was no digital manipulation or post processing done to this image with the exception of cropping, sharpening, and resizing. All permitted and/or required for this contest.

I photo documented the process of the preparation required for a lot of the setup. This setup was required before even being able to aquire the image. There was lots of cutting and pasting and glueing and propping and taping and balancing and trial and error. Actually it took over 7 hours of work before actually taking this picture. All of which was good ol fashion arts and crafts related. Contest judges will be told the process and methods, backed with photos taken of the process if they require evidence that there was no digital manipulation done to achieve some of the subtle effects in the picture.