Garmin City Navigator NT MicroSD card.

blubaboon

Hello. I am considering buying the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx and would want to use the City Navigator NT 8.0 software with it while in the car. If I get the City Navigator on the MicroSD card, my understanding is that I do not get the CD/DVD with it - it is just the card that goes into the 76CSx device.

The question I had was this. Am I able to use the PC to then create and load up waypoints? (I know that there are 3rd party programs that can alternatively do this).

Can I download (via their 'unlock' capability) the software for updates as they come up to then update the card? It seems that they would allow for that, but I can't see anything on that in the Garmin site or as I search the web. I would not want to get the MicroSD card if I then cannot update it as new maps come out. My main concern is that I will not be able to receive and apply update the product if I purchase it via MicroSD.

Also, if anyone knows. What does the 'NT' stand for with the Garmin software? I know it is not based on 'windows NT'. And how big is the pre-loaded MicroSD card? Is it jammed full where I can't load more things onto it? I think the DVD is > 1GB so if they loaded their content on a 1GB card, do I lose content?

Thanks in advance for any insight or help with my question about the MicroSD card and potential drawbacks!

Edited by blubaboon

Hello. I am considering buying the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx and would want to use the City Navigator NT 8.0 software with it while in the car. If I get the City Navigator on the MicroSD card, my understanding is that I do not get the CD/DVD with it - it is just the card that goes into the 76CSx device.

The question I had was this. Am I able to use the PC to then create and load up waypoints? (I know that there are 3rd party programs that can alternatively do this).

Can I download (via their 'unlock' capability) the software for updates as they come up to then update the card? It seems that they would allow for that, but I can't see anything on that in the Garmin site or as I search the web. I would not want to get the MicroSD card if I then cannot update it as new maps come out. My main concern is that I will not be able to receive and apply update the product if I purchase it via MicroSD.

Also, if anyone knows. What does the 'NT' stand for with the Garmin software? I know it is not based on 'windows NT'. And how big is the pre-loaded MicroSD card? Is it jammed full where I can't load more things onto it? I think the DVD is > 1GB so if they loaded their content on a 1GB card, do I lose content?

Thanks in advance for any insight or help with my question about the MicroSD card and potential drawbacks!

Get the DVD. Memory cards often go bad. Also, dup the DVD if you can. And, you can't auto-route using nRoute if you ever so desire when the maps are just on the card.

I have a topo pre-loaded memory card. I cannot use an auto-routing function.

You wouldn't be able to autoroute with Topo if you'd bought the CD either. Topo maps do not support autorouting.

Buy the CD/DVD. If the card is lost or damaged, you can just buy a new blank card and reload everything again.