The Garmin 60CSX

wrz0170

Just want to say thanks for those who responded to my posts about the Garmin 60CSX. Those replies really helped me to decide.

I bit the bullet and got it today @ Amazon for $363.98 delivered and it's next day delivery. I wanted to throw that out there in case anyone is interested in where to look.

I also got CN Navigator V8 for $109.99, also at Amazon as well as a 1gb micro.

I know that the maps have a little to be desired, but it seems to be a very good unit. I was teetering between Garmin and the new Delorme PN-20, but since it is an unproven product and lacks features, I figured the 60CSX is the best way to go!

Just want to say thanks for those who responded to my posts about the Garmin 60CSX. Those replies really helped me to decide.

I bit the bullet and got it today @ Amazon for $363.98 delivered and it's next day delivery. I wanted to throw that out there in case anyone is interested in where to look.

I know that the maps have a little to be desired, but it seems to be a very good unit. I was teetering between Garmin and the new Delorme PN-20, but since it is an unproven product and lacks features, I figured the 60CSX is the best way to go!

Now get Topo and you'll be set!!! Just my opinion of course. :)

Now get Topo and you'll be set!!! Just my opinion of course. :D

Thanks! So far, I like it, although I haven't used it much yet. Still getting to know it. Now it's just a question of which Topo to go with.

Welcome to the 60CSx family! It's a great unit and I'm sure you'll have a blast with it. Make sure you download and try out GSAK. It works great with the 60CSx. There's also a good thread on these forums on how to get the Geocaching symbols on your 60CSx. It's pretty easy and very nice! We've even found a way around the issue of losing geocaching functionality with other icons. :D PM us if interested.

Still getting to know it.

Check out Sputnik's FAQ on the 60 Series units! It will show you lots of tips, tricks and need-to-knows about your unit! CLICK HERE

Sputnik57's done a nifty job on the C series, but X series has been with us for over a year, so http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries/g60csx/ is trying to pick up where the C series left off as they ARE different in some key ways.

Edited by robertlipe

I've been searching for a 76CSx also and found many of the prices were right at $449.99 (real close to $450) but there were some for about $100 less. Do you suppose the units that are about $100 less expensive are factory reconditioned or is there something else to consider?

the ones charging $449 are charging MSRP. Many online discounters will sell it for much less. I just bought a 76Cx from Amazon.com. Definitely a brand new unit. Couldn't be happier. As long as you're buying it online from someone reputable it shouldn't be a problem. Just check out the vendors before purchase.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I have downloaded gsak and just starting to mess with it and uploaded my first cache site to the unit! Once we get the hang of it, we will definitely check out the geo icons.

To Loghome couple: I agree with Zeke. Many retailers do charge MSRP. Frankly, I wonder if they even make a sell on a unit at MSRP. I saw one place on Pricegrabber try to sell for $535!!!! But you do get free shipping. LOL

The 60 I got is definitely a new unit from Amazon. Amazon wasn't the cheapest, but long way from the most expensive. Incidently, Amazon has the 76CSX for $366.94 and if you sign up for Prime, you could get it in two days or pay around $3 and have it next day :D

The 60 I got is definitely a new unit from Amazon. Amazon wasn't the cheapest, but long way from the most expensive. Incidently, Amazon has the 76CSX for $366.94 and if you sign up for Prime, you could get it in two days or pay around $3 and have it next day :ph34r:

wrz0170 or anyone reading this, if the 60csx can be had for $363 and the 76CSx goes for 366 why wouldn't you spring for the additional $3 and purchase the 76CSx? They both appear to be about the same except the 76CSx is a tad larger, more memory, and it floats (not that I would intentially test this claim). What am I missing as I approach the point of no return and hit the Purchase button?

The 60 I got is definitely a new unit from Amazon. Amazon wasn't the cheapest, but long way from the most expensive. Incidently, Amazon has the 76CSX for $366.94 and if you sign up for Prime, you could get it in two days or pay around $3 and have it next day :ph34r:

wrz0170 or anyone reading this, if the 60csx can be had for $363 and the 76CSx goes for 366 why wouldn't you spring for the additional $3 and purchase the 76CSx? They both appear to be about the same except the 76CSx is a tad larger, more memory, and it floats (not that I would intentially test this claim). What am I missing as I approach the point of no return and hit the Purchase button?

I think one of the biggest factors I've seen is the form factor. 60 when held in our hand, has the buttons at the bottom, screen towards the top. 76 has the buttons at the top, screen at the bottom.

For one handed operation , might seem the 60 is better suited.

Functionally, I think they have all the same functions. Before the x (micro SD card) option, I believe the 76 had more on board memory.

My 60 arrives on monday, but it wasnt a choice, I won it from buji.com's sweepstakes last summer.

John

Since many people are going to spring for a 1 or 2 mg card anyway, the extra memory isn't a factor. So unless you're intending to use this for marine purposes, the question become, why wouldn't you buy the more compact, easier to hold model?

Since many people are going to spring for a 1 or 2 mg card anyway, the extra memory isn't a factor. So unless you're intending to use this for marine purposes, the question become, why wouldn't you buy the more compact, easier to hold model?

Excellent point and unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to hold either one of these units. The 76 shows to be a little more than a 1/4" wider (2.7" - 2.4") than the 60, a 1/10" taller (6.2 - 6.1), a 1/10" deeper (1.4 - 1.3), and finally 1/10 oz heavier (7.6oz - 7.5oz). Anyway, with these specs being so close compactness didn't seem to be an issue however the 60 being easier to hold could be a factor. Another decision to ponder.