Fox & the Hound's "Thanksgiving" Coin Contest '07

fox-and-the-hound

What a great contest, some of my favorite coins (whether kept or released) are in the running! :D

Here's the ones I have out there that I think are eligible:

dflye's Cache Critter Geocoin (10606 miles, 10 states, woo!)

dflye's 5 Star Climbing Geocoin

dflye's 5 Star SCUBA Geocoin

dflye's 5 Star Kayak Geocoin

dflye's Cache is King Geocoin

dflye's You WILL go caching Geocoin

dflye's GeocoinFest 2007 Poker Geocoin

dflye's Geocoin Poker Challenge - GW5 Geocoin

Bumping this up now that we're only a couple weeks out. Remember, only coins that are entered in this forum before 12:01will be considered for the different winning categories and all entries must be in before 12:01am Thanksgiving morning this year (2007). Here are the rules again:

Cachers...start your engines!!!

That's right, it's another coin contest :D This past year has been very good to our families and caching has been a big part of it. While I spent Thanksgiving thinking of all the goods things that have transpired this past year I thought I should do something to celebrate. I've enjoyed designing so many coins this last year and even more so that fellow cachers have been enjoying them as well. So I'm giving away a large collection of the "Mackey Made It" coins as a big Thank You to the many of you who have supported these projects.

Any coin I've designed (or helped design) that is activated and released after January 1st to travel is eligible to win the prize on Thanksgiving Day 2007. These coins include the Fox & the Hound, First to Find (geocoinstore), Last Cache of the Day (August GCC "Beer Mug" coin), any 5-Star Terrain Coin (geocoinstore), Cache Critters (geocoinstore), The Original Masters of Cache (October GCC "Dragon" coin), Night Caching (October Geoswag Coin and Pin Club), Crowesfeat30 personal coin (geocoinstore), Cache is King (geocoinstore), Merry Christmas Santa geocoin/ornament (geocoinstore) and Tempting the Fates (geocoinstore) coins. Any future Mackey Made It coin is also eligible for the contest (I'll keep adding them as we move forward into the year) provided it is released and travels before 12:01am Thanksgiving morning this year (2007).

JuneHoard.jpg

The prize will include all the coins pictured here (plus more that haven't been released to the public yet) and will include a number of Artist Edition coins that were never available before! The final (main) pot should be over 50 coins!!! There will also be some great runner-up prizes so get out there and put some coins in caches for your chance to win. Winners will be determined by total number of miles traveled. Coins must be actual coins and not facsimile coins to be eligible.

So thank you to everyone who has taken part in the coin projects we've been so priviledged to be involved with this year. Thank you to those who have released and/or shared these coins with their fellow cachers everywhere. Thank you to everyone who continue to release coins everyday for others to enjoy. :D

Get to activating and placing those coins... "The Chase Is On" :laughing:

The total mileage of an individual coin counts for the grand prize. There will be RUNNER UP PRIZES for Most Released, Most Logs (Discovereds and Found Its) from other Cachers, Best Log Entry (most comedic or entertaining to be determined by Fox, Moun10Girl and myself) and maybe a couple more categories before too long.

We've seen coins travel farther in two weeks than in two years so it's never too late to get some out there into caches. There are at least a half dozen more designs coming out soon and the list of qualifying coins is growing all the time. These now include Moun10Girl personal, the new Round Tuits, the MWGB Bridge Coin, the Retro Hypnocoin (GCC Feb.) and any of the other 12 coins currently available at geocoinstore.com like the Crowesfeat30, 5star Terrain and Cache Critters coins. The hoard will continue to grow right up to teh holiday so I can only imagine what (and how many) might be included by then :)

So get out there at Tempt the Fates by setting loose a coin to travel today. :D

Newer qualifying coins include: Mother Nature Watches Us, PathTag Sherpas, Pirates of Harriman IV coins, Frozen Buns personal, Team Ace and of course anything shown in the pictures :D Thanks again for playing and good luck! B)

5 Star Kayak Racer Geocoin 8/27/2007 5813 mi

5 Star Climbing Racer Coin 10/10/2007 4905 mi

2007 Frozen Buns Geocoin 10/25/2007 3031 mi

5 Star SCUBA Racer Geocoin 10/15/2007 9932 mi

Chris is on a Mission 10/27/2007 2327 mi

Cache is King Geocoin 5/27/2007 400 mi

Green Racing Christmas Ornament 11/5/2007 10387 mi

Crowesfeat30 Geocoin Racer 11/5/2007 4120 mi

Blue Christmas Racing Ornament 6/4/2007 4824 mi

HOUNDS FIRST TRAINER 2/9/2007 5993 mi

Here are some of my Mackey Coins and their mileage, now to go look for the stories and such :laughing: Let's see what you have for mileage... :)

Do we have to go look through our coin logs for the best/funny and list it for you or are you going to wade through them? Also, could you give a general idea of catagories again? May have to get a few more released out there :laughing:

The categories are listed above in bold lettering in Post#52 (although there might be drawings for a couple more categories listed before the end of the week including Best Photo of a traveling coin).

Yes!, Please do look through your coin posts for best log entries and post them here to share and enter them for the drawings :D

Here are the statistics on my one entry for this cointest...

Coin: Stellar's 2006 Christmas Ornament Geocoin

Link to Coin Page: Stellar's 2006 Christmas Ornament geocoin

Released: April 21, 2007

Total Miles (to date): 16,480.6 miles

Total Number of caches visited: 10

Total Number of Events visited: 3

Total Number of Unique Caches who "discovered" coin: 5

Total Number of Unique Cachers who "retrieved" coin: 12

Total Number of Countries Visited: 3 - (US, Germany, Canada)

Total Number of US States Visited: 4 - (Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Arizona, Alaska)

Total Number of Canadian Provinces Visited: 3 - (Ontario, Newfoundland, New Brunswick)

Most Interesting Log Entry

Note: (After traveling from the US to Germany to Canada, someone left my geocoin in a cache in Ontario Canada.

A cacher from my area (she lives less than 5 minutes away), was visiting Ontario and finding

some caches there. She just happened to accidently find my coin in one of the caches she found,

more than 233 miles from home).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

7/14/2007 unimoggers retrieved it from Ontario's Gangsters/ Les Bandits Ontariens Ontario [visit log]

Hey, Kathy! Can you believe I stumbled upon this? With its goal in mind, I'm taking it to Arizona this week. I can leave it there or bring it back to PA for more miles and then drop it off in Anchorage or Vancouver! Is that getting lots of miles or what??? I figure this thing needs to make up for much lost time!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to Photo : Coin at the Townhall in Hamburg, Germany

http://img.geocaching.com/track/log/8f96a2...c960413bd7d.jpg

------

Post edited to add link to photo

Edited by stellarscapes

Crowsfeat30

7/26/2007 the woodcutter retrieved it from Where the WILD TBs stay! New Mexico [visit log]

"This is NOT the place she promised to take us. Please don't leave us with the WILD TB's!""Thank heavens! We're going back into the car with some new friends....onwards to Tucson, Arizona she says

Visited 10 states

Chris is on a Mission

Owner: Frozen Buns

Released: Thursday, February 22, 2007

Origin: Texas, United States

CCFFA8 to reference this item

16 discovers, and 2 countrys,

Cool coin...I read about it before going to get it so I got my wife to find this cache (which I had previously found). I kept my mouth shut (and that was no easy feat) while she was looking for cache. She seemed to be having fun. Thanks for coin. Will drop-off quickly.

I think this is one of the nicest coins I've seen, and I haven't seen many!!! But I have many people in mind that I would like to introduce to Geocaching, because when I was introduced to it I loved the idea of a new family hobby, just wish the family could get out more often with me, although I have only 3 or 4 hidden caches, I managed to get my 5 year old son to build his own, search (with me) for a place to hide it and then place it with me (At night, in the dark, in the woods). But I have a few additional people that would really enjoy this great past time. I may end up having this coin/TB combo for a while until I can get together with my list of people to show them how we use "Multi-Billion Dollar Military Satelites to search for Tupperwear in the Woods." (saw that on a magnet I retreived yesterday.)

Green Racing Christmas Ornament # MC19ZE

5/20/2007 cachecreepers retrieved it from Ark of the Covenant Alaska [visit log]

Got a hot tip in e-mail today that there were some stranded racers in a couple of caches in Eagle River. Decided that since we are traveling tomorrow...we should accept the mission to retrieve them and log some serious mileage for them. This is one of them...on the move!

12 discovers, lots of miles for very few states – 7 states and 10,400 miles

5 Star Scuba Coin 5TC8DK

9,932.3 miles in only 5 states and 10 discovers

Never found a coin before that had a travelling buddy attached! I would say the pic on the back of the coin would definately be a "5 star" cache! We will keep it racing!

9/16/2007 DavidT21 & Fisherwoman retrieved it from BelleauWay Travel Bug Hotel California [visit log]

There seems to be items attached to this coin weighing it down. Hope that doesn't slow down it's progress too much.

LEAST AMOUNT OF MILES:

Cache is KING CKMGBN went missing

3 months after starting, last seen in In A tribute to Pope Leo XIII

Here are couple of my favorite photos with JRR's Tempting the Fates Contest Coin:

66f668ce-6aaa-4390-a9c4-4dea8c357a78.jpg

With the "remains" of Kaena Joe.

And "Up Close with Stiffey."

7364223a-8131-4b28-aa65-763010487287.jpg

Current statistics:

6 events visited (in 3 states and 2 countries)

17 discoveries

106,905.3 miles

Holy cow, that is some miles, love the picture. That box of bones gets my vote for sure <_<

edited to add that FYI - I went to the coin profile and it has to have the most pictures taken of a coin, loved looking at all of them <_< thanks

Edited by Frozen Buns

Here are couple of my favorite photos with JRR's Tempting the Fates Contest Coin:

66f668ce-6aaa-4390-a9c4-4dea8c357a78.jpg

With the "remains" of Kaena Joe.

And "Up Close with Stiffey."

7364223a-8131-4b28-aa65-763010487287.jpg

Current statistics:

6 events visited (in 3 states and 2 countries)

17 discoveries

106,905.3 miles

Holy cow, that is some miles, love the picture. That box of bones gets my vote for sure <_<

edited to add that FYI - I went to the coin profile and it has to have the most pictures taken of a coin, loved looking at all of them <_< thanks

My two coins <_<

TB1D4DY Rivercity's Cache is King - this is one I keep in my bag and drop in events, caches in other states, and local caches just to watch the mileage!

TB1GABN Rivercity's Retro Man Hitchhiker - this coin has traveled with me and also my friend 40 -- it's been to India!

WOW, make sure to post the miles, countries, funniest log or best pic, etc so Chris can see and make selcections for the contest.

<_<

My two coins ;)

TB1D4DY Rivercity's Cache is King - this is one I keep in my bag and drop in events, caches in other states, and local caches just to watch the mileage!

TB1GABN Rivercity's Retro Man Hitchhiker - this coin has traveled with me and also my friend 40 -- it's been to India!

TB1D4DY Rivercity's Cache is King 15,342.1 mi

TB1GABN Rivercity's Retro Man Hitchhiker 33,895 mi

56ac9eb5-2444-41ad-ad91-30596272553e.jpg

Here are a few more. Most don't have miles on yet, but they will soon be traveling via cache. I intended to try and get one of each traveling, but ran out of time with my more than busy schedule lately....................

The Fox and The Hound Geocoin

The Last Cache of the Day Geocoin

Five Star Climbing Geocoin

Masters of Cache Geocoin

First To Find Geocoin

2007 Frozen Buns Geocoin

I will check the milage on all of them in a bit. Thanks to everyone who has traded with me so I can release these coin!! Thanks for the contest as well!

07 Geocoin Poker Challenge Geocoin 6210.6 miles traveled, currently in Israel

2006 Christmas Ornament Geocoin 156 miles traveled, currently in Minnesota

Cache Critter Geocoin 6210.6 miles traveled, currently in Israel

Cache Critter Geocoin 67.3 miles traveled, went MIA in WI after visiting 5 caches

Cache Critter Geocoin 2 354.9 miles traveled. Went MIA in Michigan from the first cache it was placed in.

Cache Critter Geocoin 3 554.1 miles traveled, currently in Minnesota

Cache Critter Geocoin 4 781.6 miles traveled, currently in Ontario

Cache Critter Geocoin 5 1347.6 miles traveled, currently in Connecticut

Cache Critter Geocoin 6 510.6 miles traveled, went MIA in Wisconsin after visiting 7 caches

Cache Critter Geocoin 7 644.9 miles traveled, currently in Wisconsin

Cache Critter Geocoin 8 1197.2 miles traveled, currently in New Hampshire

Cache Critter Geocoin 9 119.4 miles traveled all to events, currently in my house - somewhere..............

Cache Critter Geocoin 10 248.4 miles traveled, currently in Wisconsin

Crowesfeat30 Geocoin 746.2 miles traveled, may be missing from a cache in Wisconsin

Midwest Geobash 2007 Geocoin 179.1 miles traveled, currently in Illinois

Oct - Night Caching Geocoin 67.7 miles traveled - picked up by someone at an event and not logged at this point in time

Moun10Girl Personal Geocoin 83.8 miles traveled, currently in Minnesota

Team Legend4 Geocoin 362 miles traveled, currently in Wisconsin

Tempting The Fates Geocoin 760.5 miles traveled, currently in Iowa

The Fox and The Hound Geocoin 0 miles, preparing to be released

The Last Cache of the Day Geocoin 0 miles, preparing to be released

Five Star Climbing Geocoin 0 miles, preparing to be released

Masters of Cache Geocoin 0 miles, preparing to be released

First To Find Geocoin 0 miles, preparing to be released

2007 Frozen Buns Geocoin technically 0 miles traveled, released to an other cacher for hand to hand transfer

Now what would be really interesting is to see what this list looks like next year!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Thank you everyone for your entries and your support! Fox, Moun10Girl and I will be pouring over all the entries and announce the winners asap :anibad: In very short order, we'll be wrapping up a number of gift boxes to put into the post full of the shiny stuff and our gratitude. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and our prayers for you and your family this holiday season :ph34r:

Now what would be really interesting is to see what this list looks like next year!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

What kind of message did you put with your coins to have them travel so well? Mine did pretty good with a hole drilled in them and a key ring l;aminate tag saying it was in a race.

Congrats on all your released coins, I am truly impressed with how you truly got into the spirit of this cointest.

Let me be the first to congratulate you on whatever prize you win...if we were voting you would have my vote for the Spirit Award :laughing:

I drill holes in my coins and attach a small plastic keychain about 1/2 inch by 1 inch (like the kind that holds a picture) and I have a note that on one side says "I am a traveling geocoin. Please don't keep me!! Log at geocaching.com and place back in a cache." The other side is more for accidental discoveries by non geocachers and it says "This coin belongs to WI_Robin. You can contact me at wisconsin_robin@yahoo.com." I have still had some turn up missing, but it gives me more hope that they may turn back up. It's fun watching their travels and occasionally finding them in caches myself.

TheHoardGiveFinale.jpg

We have some winners!

The results are in and thank you to all who participated. After much discussion, numerous delays, the interruption of a new baby, and lots and LOTS of reading through logs we have made our choices. The winner by over 73,000 miles difference is of course sillygirl & jrr :D They'll be receiving 60 coins including some rarely seen and two never seen versions among them! Their Tempting the Fates coin swept numerous categories so we've chosen the other category winners from the remaining entries and it wasn't easy...

Runner up for mileage and winner of the Most Events category is Rivercity!

Best Photo was split decision with sillygirl & jrr's "bones" and Rivercity's Ape Cache photo (loved the safari pics, too). The Bones is a perfect fit for the Fates coin and the Ape Cache is an amazing glimpse at a cache so many of us aspire to visit, but so few ever get the chance to. This photo might just be the closest we'll ever get to visiting the cache ourselves. So many amazing photos from all the entries, but these are the ones that touched our personal strings. :D

Most Released was easily WIRobin and we give a hearty thank you for your efforts. Generosity of spirit deserves to be rewarded! Thank you. :D

Best log entry goes to dflye's Scuba Geocoin by Major Dad. There were so many to choose from, but this one sent us into a fit of laughter and we had always hoped to see the Scuba 5star as a part of pirate booty!

Last, but certainly not least, we want to reward wwflover13 for their late entry. Despite not getting a chance to enter earlier, throwing caution to the wind with only weeks to go, their Christmas coinament traveled hundreds of miles and met a dozen cachers along the way. We like that kind of spirit! :D

We had reserved quite a few coins for random entry winners and due to the rather small number of entrants, ALL the entrants will be receiving coins!! That's right, everybody who entered is getting some coins so please send me your addresses asap so we can get them traveling on their way to you. :D

We hope to do something like this again next year so keep up that generous caching spirit and send out those coins to be enjoyed by everyone. It's your wonderful generosity that keeps people going those extra lengths to find the cache for that bit of precious. Happy Caching and thank you for Tempting the Fates :D

TheHoardGiveFinale.jpg

We have some winners!

The results are in and thank you to all who participated. After much discussion, numerous delays, the interruption of a new baby, and lots and LOTS of reading through logs we have made our choices. The winner by over 73,000 miles difference is of course sillygirl & jrr :D They'll be receiving 60 coins including some rarely seen and two never seen versions among them! Their Tempting the Fates coin swept numerous categories so we've chosen the other category winners from the remaining entries and it wasn't easy...

Runner up for mileage and winner of the Most Events category is Rivercity!

Best Photo was split decision with sillygirl & jrr's "bones" and Rivercity's Ape Cache photo (loved the safari pics, too). The Bones is a perfect fit for the Fates coin and the Ape Cache is an amazing glimpse at a cache so many of us aspire to visit, but so few ever get the chance to. This photo might just be the closest we'll ever get to visiting the cache ourselves. So many amazing photos from all the entries, but these are the ones that touched our personal strings. :D

Most Released was easily WIRobin and we give a hearty thank you for your efforts. Generosity of spirit deserves to be rewarded! Thank you. :D

Best log entry goes to dflye's Scuba Geocoin by Major Dad. There were so many to choose from, but this one sent us into a fit of laughter and we had always hoped to see the Scuba 5star as a part of pirate booty!

Last, but certainly not least, we want to reward wwflover13 for their late entry. Despite not getting a chance to enter earlier, throwing caution to the wind with only weeks to go, their Christmas coinament traveled hundreds of miles and met a dozen cachers along the way. We like that kind of spirit! :D

We had reserved quite a few coins for random entry winners and due to the rather small number of entrants, ALL the entrants will be receiving coins!! That's right, everybody who entered is getting some coins so please send me your addresses asap so we can get them traveling on their way to you. :D

We hope to do something like this again next year so keep up that generous caching spirit and send out those coins to be enjoyed by everyone. It's your wonderful generosity that keeps people going those extra lengths to find the cache for that bit of precious. Happy Caching and thank you for Tempting the Fates :D

Congrat's to all the winners! Great cointest :D

Congrats indeed!!! Sure wish I was up on the contest a little better, didnt even see all the categories till now!...I coulda won for most coins givin away!!! :rolleyes:

Out of all your coins Id say my favorites are the FTF, Masters of cache (my very first geocoin owned!), Rivercity's and the tempting the fate.

Oh what Id do for a AE FTF!!!...I just love the eyes! Recently bought 5 FTF coins from a fella here on the forums and thought I was getting these FTF's, turns out when I got em they were the FTF ribbons!!! :D ...Oh well, they'll make good FTF prizes anyhow!!!

Thanks for the cointest and Congrats to the winners!!!!

Edited by 007BigD

Okay, I'm speechless (and let me assure you that is a rare occurrence). Even sillygirl was impressed when I showed her the photo of all those coins. Guess we'll have plenty to enter in next year's contest. :rolleyes: We'll be sharing our booty with the rest of the Geohana who helped move the coin along.

We reached the winning Tempting the Fates Coin for comment and asked, "You've just won the Fox & the Hounds "Thanksgiving" Coin Contest, what are you going to do now?" "I'm going to Groundspeak HQ of course!" Special Mahalo to Ahuimanu Hui, Geogerms. and captain.ron who seemed to enjoy the contest as much as we did.

Congratulations also to all the other entrants, hope you had as much fun as we did.

And lastly Mahalo Nui Loa to Fox & the Hound (& Moun10girl & Xander) for your generosity!

jrr

Thanks very much for the contest and congrats to all the winners and especially sillygirl & jrr

for getting over 106,000 miles on their coin. Wow, that's alot of traveling !!

Although I only had one entry in the contest, I'm pleased that it did travel over 16,000 miles :rolleyes:

and I had fun watching it travel all over the world. This was a really great idea for a contest.

Wow, Congrats everyone, I hope Geocoinstore put something on their web page letting everyone purchasing a coin know about the cointest for 2008... I know I'll be setting alot more coins free this coming year :huh: Love cointests :lol:

Thanks for your generousity Fox-and-the-hound :anibad:

Edited to add: Will you please post a link to the logs etc, of the winners so we can all have a laugh and a look at the pictures?

Edited by Frozen Buns

My package arrived today - WOW! Thank you so much fox-and-the-hound! I got an Original Masters of Cache coin AND a gold (AE) version of the Retro Hypno coin!! I love them both!

Here's a couple pics:

2139339662_fd3d5f99d9_m.jpg <--- Gold AE Retro Hypno

2138536991_a79c8a1a0a_m.jpg <--- Original Masters of Cache

Thanks again fox-and-the-hound, you've been very generous!

I'll have to get some coins to release with my $40 geocoinstore gift certificate for the '08 contest!

I'm so sorry that it's taken me so long to say Thank You for the bounty that I received!

So, Thank You, Fox, Hound, and Moun10Girl, for the contest and winnings!

I received an AE Cache is King, one of my most favorite geocoins, and this is a beauty. :ph34r: An AE Retro Hypno Man - love the shiny gold, a cool frosty Frozen Buns, and a lovely AS Mackey Made It.

Thank you for your generosity! These coins are very special! ;)