Cache Container With Preservative Coating

The other day I found a cache container which had been coated with a preservative, and after handling the cache, then getting back into the car I realized that my hands smelled a lot of the preservative, to the point that I was quite distracted by the smell.

This made me wonder if this was such a good idea, coating a cache container in a preservative coating. Has anyone here ever run across another cache preserved in this way? Any ideas on whether this should be done? The preservative in this case is Recochem’s Copper II Green Preservative, Copper Napthenate suspended in a petroleum distillate solution.

This cache was actually in a children's playground, low enough that anyone playing in the playground could come in contact with it.

I wrote to the cache owner but did not get a response for 2 days so I then posted a note about it, to which the owner took offense. Since I had no idea what the preservative was at the time I wrote the note, I thought it was best to warn others who might venture out to the cache to be prepared, and bring work gloves.

Was this justified or was I over-reacting?

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

The other day I found a cache container which had been coated with a preservative, and after handling the cache, then getting back into the car I realized that my hands smelled a lot of the preservative, to the point that I was quite distracted by the smell.

This made me wonder if this was such a good idea, coating a cache container in a preservative coating. Has anyone here ever run across another cache preserved in this way? Any ideas on whether this should be done? The preservative in this case is Recochem’s Copper II Green Preservative, Copper Napthenate suspended in a petroleum distillate solution.

This cache was actually in a children's playground, low enough that anyone playing in the playground could come in contact with it.

I wrote to the cache owner but did not get a response for 2 days so I then posted a note about it, to which the owner took offense. Since I had no idea what the preservative was at the time I wrote the note, I thought it was best to warn others who might venture out to the cache to be prepared, and bring work gloves.

Was this justified or was I over-reacting?

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I would like to know which cache this is. either posted here or in a pm please. This product is also a pesticide.

Osmose MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET

Page 3 of 3

SECTION VIII - CONTROL MEASURES

RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: None normally required if good ventilation is maintained. Use a MSHA/NIOSH approved dust high

efficiency filter respirator when sawing or machining treated wood.

VENTILATION REQUIREMENTS: Ventilate via mechanical methods (general or local exhaust) to maintain exposure below

TLV(s), if applicable. Good industrial hygiene practice dictates that indoor work areas should be isolated and provided with

adequate local exhaust ventilation.

PROTECTIVE GLOVES: Wear industrial type gloves.

EYE PROTECTION: Safety glasses, goggles or face shield. Do not wear contact lenses.

OTHER PROTECTIVE CLOTHING OR EQUIPMENT: None normally required. Use as necessary to prevent exposure.

WORK/HYGIENIC PRACTICES: Wash thoroughly after skin contact and before eating, drinking, use of tobacco products or using restrooms.

Edited by LaPaglia
The other day I found a cache container which had been coated with a preservative. and after handling the cache, then getting back into the car I realized that my hands smelled a lot of the preservative, to the point that I was quite distracted by the smell.

What kind of cacher hides a pesticide covered cache on playground equipment? :laughing: I can see the news headline:

Children playing on the playground come in contact with mysterious substance, one child admitted to hospital for ingestion of substance. It turns out the objest was part of an online game.

Thankfully, an approver archived the cache.

Edited by Kit Fox

Good point Kit Fox.

It seems like a strange idea to coat a cache with anything like that. A well-sealed cache wouldn't need a preservative, would it? Is that supposed to make it waterproof or keep it from rotting? If it's the second reason, it probably shouldn't be used as the cache container anyway.

Uh... can you explain what the container is?? I don't understand why they would be treating it unless the box is made of wood (or maybe unpainted metal?) :laughing:

The box was made of wood, and inside it was the actual cache container. The box was made to look like the bench it was hidden on, but the bench was a loose structure which could easily be flipped over to find and remove the cache container.

This was on a sandy play area right beside some play structures.

I am SO glad someone took action immediately as I see it's been archived already. I felt there was a problem there, but was getting nowhere with the owner.

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

Although the hider probably wasn't intending to cause any controversy, or raise a concern about health and safety while caching, it is poor judgement like this that raises liability concerns. An event made public like this may cause geocaching to be banned. Of course the banning would be hashed out in court, and probably end up being restricted instead of banned, but to do anything that might cause such a course of action to even be initiated is disconcerting to say the least.

Although the hider probably wasn't intending to cause any controversy, or raise a concern about health and safety while caching, it is poor judgement like this that raises liability concerns. An event made public like this may cause geocaching to be banned. Of course the banning would be hashed out in court, and probably end up being restricted instead of banned, but to do anything that might cause such a course of action to even be initiated is disconcerting to say the least.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean when you say "An event made public like this" Do you mean the discussion here or the cache being seen by others outside the Caching community?

It was not my intention to make this public in the first place - I had many exchanges with the owner before finally giving up and creating this topic. But if people read this, they'll know we are concerned enough to try to deal with this kind of problem ourselves, anyway.

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean when you say "An event made public like this" Do you mean the discussion here or the cache being seen by others outside the Caching community?

It was not my intention to make this public in the first place - I had many exchanges with the owner before finally giving up and creating this topic. But if people read this, they'll know we are concerned enough to try to deal with this kind of problem ourselves, anyway.

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I think he means 'made public' like if this little story got picked up by your local paper or TV station. If people start thinking geocaches are toxic objects hidden near childerns playgrounds, that would be bad publicity :ph34r:

I still don't quite understand why this caches 'outter shell' was coated. Was the bench it was trying mimic coated too?? Oh well, guess its just something you have been to, to understand :laughing:

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I meant as in this being discovered outside of the geocaching community. Like being in the news. Can you see it? Popular game called Geocaching causes a flurry of concern because of a container coated with a TOXIC substance. The container was placed where CHILDREN could be EXPOSED to the DANGEROUS CHEMICAL that was covering the container. It is yet unknown whether this was a deliberate act trying to POISON someone.

The media loves words like the ones in all caps.

I meant as in this being discovered outside of the geocaching community. Like being in the news. Can you see it? <snip>.

Ummm, didn't you just do what you counseled the poster not to do? Edited by sbell111

I meant as in this being discovered outside of the geocaching community. Like being in the news. Can you see it? Popular game called Geocaching causes a flurry of concern because of a container coated with a TOXIC substance. The container was placed where CHILDREN could be EXPOSED to the DANGEROUS CHEMICAL that was covering the container. It is yet unknown whether this was a deliberate act trying to POISON someone.

The cache was un-archived so it must have been cleaned up somehow.

I notified the cache owner of this topic when I created it. The owner said he was going to participate to give his side, and "create a balanced discussion", but has chosen not to make his views known, apparently.

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

The cache was un-archived so it must have been cleaned up somehow.

I notified the cache owner of this topic when I created it. The owner said he was going to participate to give his side, and "create a balanced discussion", but has chosen not to make his views known, apparently.

If it was resolved to the satisfaction of the Reviewer, it's good enough for me. I don't see the need for further blah-blah about it.

Let's hope his other caches aren't coated with the same stuff (he's got like 10 others) If so, I pray he'll be proactive and replace them all ASAP. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but still...scary to think people might be handling a pesticide and not know it.

Edited by swaninwa