One-unit paperless caching

Kiwijam

After years running around with an Etrex in one hand and a Palm in the other, I've decided to upgrade to a single unit. I'm tired with plugging in and refreshing both devices whenever I want to go caching. So I need something that includes a decent GPS receiver but also holds detailed cache information from the GPX files.

I'm not aware of any GPS units that can store the cache info (i.e. the 60CSx holds about 100 characters - the hint - in its custom POIS). Therefore I suspect that the answer is a Palm or PocketPC, with an inbuilt or CompactFlash GPS receiver.

It's comparatively fragile, but I mainly cache in urban areas (and will still have the Etrex when needed).

I know others have done this already, so what units/software do cachers use, and would they recommend them?

I use Palm Pilot Tungsten E2 with a Bluetooth Globalsat GPS. The Bluetooth GPS is great since it is pretty slim, and can connect to my Tungsten, laptop and cell phone. Further, the Tungsten can connect to internet using Bluetooth with my cell phone... So, unfortunately not a single-unit paperless solution, but I just learnt that Java midlets on cellphones can do a lot of stuff, so maybe the Bluetooth GPS with the cell phone can enable a one-unit paperless caching solution? Check the other thread, in which I replied...

/Tom

If you want to go the route of one unit I would say choose the pda you are comfaotable using the software ie either a palm or a pocket pc then you could use cachemate with the cachnav plug in that will both give you all the information for the cache as well as guide you to the cache.You could also look into mapopolis if you want mapping as well.Both are very good programs and both are available for palm or ppc

If you want to keep one hand free, getting a Bluetooth unit separate from the PPC defeats your original problem of two units. I use a PPC with a CF GPS that slips into the CF slot. It has the Sirf Star III chipset which is the latest type. I keep the files in my SD memory slot. There are units now that have SIRf Star III for SD slots with it's own slot on the GPS for a SD memory card but I have no personal experience with them.

For software I use Mapopolis for voice and visual promted road autonavigation and navigating in the woods. Use gpxtomaplet to overlay the cache icon onto the Mapopolis street maps. You see all the caches on the street maps as you drive around. When you tap the icon you can set it up (using GSAK) so it will display the cache 10 digit smartname, cache type, D/T. miles from home, container type, hint, placer, etc. Hold the icon and you can start the auto navigation to the street nearest the cache.

I use gpxsonar for paperless caching - not familiar with cachemate. I also use National Geographic Pocket Topo for real-time display of locations on 24K USGS quad topo maps.

In the car I plug in the PPC to the lighter cable to charge while I'm driving to the cache or between caches. The PPC powers the CF GPS.

My PPC came with Outlook for syncing to my office Outlook program. So I have telephones, addresses, appts, etc. I suppose you can use it for a tax deduction. Neat feature of Mapopolis is it also allows you to use the Outlook addresses so you can navigate to any of the people in your address book without having to re-enter their address.

Edited by Alan2

I just picked up a Palm Treo 680 pda phone last week and have used it to find 4 caches in the area (okay I found 3, dnf on the 4th, but that wasn't the phones fault). So far I love it, I have cachemate and cachenav on the phone, as well as TomTom Navigator 5. I bought a holux 236 bluetooth gps to serve as my reciever. I can put a HUGE amount of cachedescriptions on cachemate on the phone, look up the closest caches, then tap the "nav" button and cachenav works just like the "goto" function on my etrex. In one operation I can download the .gpx file to GSAK on my computer, then create the cachemate file, and also a point of interest file for the tomtom. I upload to the phone and get all the descriptions and coordinates in cachemate, and the POI's get overlaid on TomTom to provide driving directions to the cache location. The BT reciever I bought has the sirf III chipset and has awesome reception, I can have it running and put it in my pocket and it still provides a great signal to the phone. That way I'm not required to carry both the phone and reciever in my hands. Normally I would take my GPSr, my phone, and my old PDA out on a hunt. This setup does it all in one, plus serves as an MP3 play if desired. Also if you decide to sign up for a data plan on the phone, you will have internet access anywhere you get phone reception. Combine that with the new PDA version of Google Maps and you've got a pretty potent device.

One of the downsides to this combo is a PDA is obviously more fragile than a dedicated handheld GPSr. I have just ordered a silicone skin for the phone which has a loop for a lanyard/leash. On some of the more rough terrain caches, I plan on using the lanyard that came with my etrex yellow and putting it around my neck or wrist protecting it from me dropping it. There are also waterproof case available for about $30, and a shockproof/dropproof/waterproof otterbox case available for about $90

I looked at Cetus but it looked to clunky to me. Haven't seen CacheNav but I am going to look into it. I can't imagine anything much better than GeoNiche. File management using SD card is a great feature. But what is really outstanding is how "customizable" it is. You can modify the displays to make them what you want. And, as far as I can tell, it does everything any standard GPSr can do -- tracks/routes, target management, navigation, etc. The documentation is good and the customer support is outstanding. I am not affiliated in any way. With a Global Sat BT GPSr it is very responsive and accurate on a Palm

I looked at Cetus but it looked to clunky to me. Haven't seen CacheNav but I am going to look into it. I can't imagine anything much better than GeoNiche. File management using SD card is a great feature. But what is really outstanding is how "customizable" it is. You can modify the displays to make them what you want. And, as far as I can tell, it does everything any standard GPSr can do -- tracks/routes, target management, navigation, etc. The documentation is good and the customer support is outstanding. I am not affiliated in any way. With a Global Sat BT GPSr it is very responsive and accurate on a Palm

Bought the registered version of GeoNiche last week, and I love it! While cachemate and cachenav worked well, geoniche is so much more user friendly and powerful. While navigating caches, it only takes a click of a button to be able to read the notes and hints, where the other programs I would have to always switch back and forth. I have a Holux 236 gps reciever, and I hit 6 caches in a period of about an hour on sunday, and all of them were within 3-4 feet of the marked coordinates. And that was without the waas enabled. For anyone using a pda for caching, I definitally recommend getting geoniche, especially since its only $25!

Here's a program that you can load in your PPC. http://davidbray.org/mobile/#conv

You want geomaginfo

I haven't tried it.

I have it on my Palm from the my old CETUS days. It works great. I was constantly doing the calculation when the bearing changed and it was a pain after awhile. CETUS wouldn't let me enter the declination. I suggestested to the CETUS programmer that he include the geomaginfo code.

If you want to keep one hand free, getting a Bluetooth unit separate from the PPC defeats your original problem of two units.

Not so if the problem is just what you carry, especially with the SiRF Star III chipset. Once it has a lock, you can put it in your pocket or backpack and it will give you just as good a signal as it would if you were holding it out in front of you. On the other hand, if you don't want to worry about maintaining (read: keeping the batteries charged) two units, THEN it defeats the purpose. But I've never run the batteries out in my holux in a single day (even the 12 hours of driving days).