Cub Scout Pack Meeting

bkwalker

Cub Scout Leader wanting to do a Pack meeting centered around Geocaching and looking for help with either people or equipment to Show and lead a group of about 30-50 Scouts and family members. I am a fairly new cacher with limited equipment and experience. I could probably handle the presentation but the equipment needs for that many people is a problem. The event will be in March no specific date is set just that month.

Anyone that can help Please let me know.

Thanks

Byron (bkwalker)

Sorry tried to change spelling in Description but found out you can't, so no edit.

Edited by bkwalker

Depending on the time and situation I'd be willing to offer a hand and might be able to recruit some help from some local Geocachers. Where in Illinois do you live? I live in Columbia, Il.

Unfortunately, March is an extremely busy month for many of us. I'm involved with SLAGA (St. Louis Area Geocaching Association) and am involved with the MOGA (Midwest Open Geocaching Adventure) event at the end of March.

I really appreciate the replies. :) The pack meets in Pocahontas. As far as when I am flexible on when in March but it has to be in March. I knew that it would be a problem with MOGA being then but I was assigned that month and it pretty much has to be then. I would appreciate any help.

:) Thanks Byron

I thought I would just throw this out as an idea for scouters. Last year, our pack went camping (Family Camp). We obtained permission from the park and hid a temporary cache full of Geocaching patches and a log. We hid the cache just prior to the campout. The following day, we gave the coordinates to a group of about 5 boys and set them off. Once they found the cache, they took a patch, signed the log, and returned to camp. We cleared the GPS and then sent another group of boys out. The cache was not far from the camp, and we split the boys up with some older boys teamed up with younger ones. We had about 4 or 5 groups total. Everyone got their patch, and learned a little about geocaching. Then, we took a group out with us that wanted to find more caches within the park, and did so as a group with everyone taking a turn with the GPS. By doing it this way we only needed the one GPS. The kids had a lot of fun finding it themselves, and didn't have to wait to get their patch at the next pack meeting. :unsure:

I thought I would just throw this out as an idea for scouters. Last year, our pack went camping (Family Camp). We obtained permission from the park and hid a temporary cache full of Geocaching patches and a log. We hid the cache just prior to the campout. The following day, we gave the coordinates to a group of about 5 boys and set them off. Once they found the cache, they took a patch, signed the log, and returned to camp. We cleared the GPS and then sent another group of boys out. The cache was not far from the camp, and we split the boys up with some older boys teamed up with younger ones. We had about 4 or 5 groups total. Everyone got their patch, and learned a little about geocaching. Then, we took a group out with us that wanted to find more caches within the park, and did so as a group with everyone taking a turn with the GPS. By doing it this way we only needed the one GPS. The kids had a lot of fun finding it themselves, and didn't have to wait to get their patch at the next pack meeting. :laughing:

What a great idea!! I have taken a few of the Tiger Scouts (first grade) on caching expeditions to Allerton Park and they loved it. I couldn't figure out how to take the whole pack.

dad2jnk

Just an update on my Pack Meeting.

It went good; the boys (and Parents) had fun. First I talked very briefly on what GPSrs were and how they worked. Then to demonstrate triangulation I had them do a little game to find some small trinkets hidden in a field, using three different lengths of rope and three starting points. Then I broke them up into groups and had them all hide 2-3 caches per group, record the coordinates and a clue. When they had completed hiding I put all the cache listing into a bucket and had each group draw a cache to find. Along with their caches I hid 8 caches with trinkets and clues to the final cache location, which contained the advancements and patches we were giving out that day.

The whole thing took about 2-3 hours to set-up and takedown, and about 2-3 hours to complete for 21 kid and 8 adult participants.

Thanks Byron