Motorway Mayem's

Foinavon

Does anyone actually use these caches for their original purposes (i.e to break up long Motorway journeys).

It seems to me that the more recent ones are just found by local cachers or people passing through on a caching trip. In that way they are no different to other local caches other than they happen to be near a motorway. Its quite rare to see a log saying "Stopped on the way to London and had my butties" which is what the original intention of the series was.

This becomes very apparent when you consider the M65 it has 9 "mayhems", is the journey from Preston to Burnley so long and arduous that it needs breaking up 9 times!

I am not saying people shouldn't place them and I have found about 4 of them myself (one of which Hazel's coin hotel is a belter), its just that the focus of the series seems to have shifted and many of the newer ones are there solely because they happen to be near a motorway. Is that really a good reason for placing them? Some of these will be really good caches and people like me might overlook them.

Edited by Foinavon

But how can you overlook them? We've found several of the Motorway Mayhem caches - at least one we have done can only be reached by motorway but others are easily accessible from other roads.

We don't really mind what a cache is called or where it's placed. If we're visiting a particular area we see what's on offer and decide whether to have a go at doing it/them.

Motorway Mayhem A1(M) Washington Services was definitely used as a break point on hte way down to the Yorkshire Dales - shame their jelly babies are so expensive!

Glad you found it useful.

Personally I treat the MM caches the same as any other cache. The only exception to this is if I am planning a journey I will look for a MM cache midway as I know it should be easily accessible from my journey without a large diversion. There are many other caches I could find, but I do not want the haste of reading all the listings to find out which one.

We don't really mind what a cache is called or where it's placed.

Really. You don't mind where its placed? I see you have done quite a few. Have you never ever returned from one thinking "Why are did they bother, what a waste of time?". I confess I have for a small number of my 186 finds. Just one of these was a motorway mayhem. It was a nano tied to the fence by the junction roundabout. Not a particularly pleasent place to stop at all. It depends if you think that all caches are good no matter where they are and its fun to search for something no matter where it is(and thats a perfectly honourable position to hold) or more like me its all about the location.

If we're visiting a particular area we see what's on offer and decide whether to have a go at doing it/them.

Me too , but if its a MM then I might not give it much attention!

When I plan a day out caching I don't start by looking at the names they are just dot's on memory map <_< if I am passing near a dot (trigpoint or cache) it gets done, I may then filter out anything that may take too long.

But variety is the spice of life and you have to try the bad to truly appreciate the "good".....

Thanks Foinavon....

When I placed my coin hotel as a MM cache, I tried to get it somewhere close to a Motorway to make it a Mayhem, but also wanted it to be somewhere pretty.

I guess now it COULD be a B road Booty, but lets not get into that!!

I HAVE claimed all local MM's as finds, but equally I have used them to break up long drives - I did the MM at the M6 Toll Road Services on the way back from a christening in Cambridge for example.

Whenever, and however you cache - does it matter really???

Thanks Foinavon....

Not really, but its what the forums are for and its the kind of stuff we chat about at meetings (well I do anyway!). Sometimes its good to have a mass debate. :laughing: I enjoyed the one about members only caches although I didn't contribute.

Thanks Foinavon....

When I placed my coin hotel as a MM cache, I tried to get it somewhere close to a Motorway to make it a Mayhem, but also wanted it to be somewhere pretty.

I HAVE claimed all local MM's as finds, but equally I have used them to break up long drives - I did the MM at the M6 Toll Road Services on the way back from a christening in Cambridge for example.

What on earth's happened to it, Hazel, I drove past it today on route from another cache and its appearance has changed somewhat to say the least. I stopped the car to check it is till there (it is) and my trainer sank into the nearby (very) muddy puddle, one pair of socks being e-mailed to you for laundering purposes! :laughing:

When I do a longish journey I try to use the opportunity to stop off at a cache. I tend to download the caches in an area on route and then, I have to say, exclude Motorway Mayhem caches.

It's a law of averages thing. Not all Motorway Mayhem caches are disappointing but on average more of them are than caches in general, in my experience. I'm not sure why that is. Obviously the guidelines on MM caches make setting an interesting cache tougher than normal (easy to do in work clothes etc), although I suspect it's more than that. Once you make a series of something it's nice to join in and perhaps the desire to do that sometimes clouds the judgement of where the caches are placed.

Does anyone actually use these caches for their original purposes (i.e to break up long Motorway journeys).

It seems to me that the more recent ones are just found by local cachers or people passing through on a caching trip. In that way they are no different to other local caches other than they happen to be near a motorway. Its quite rare to see a log saying "Stopped on the way to London and had my butties" which is what the original intention of the series was.

I've not done many of these but 2 (M3 Fleet Services N&S) were on the way to some other caches, so why not find them.

Also I live 3 mins from MM M3 J7 and since i'll never need to break a journey 3 mins from my house I have indeed bagged this as a local cacher.

If I am going to go on a long journey I may well look to see if there are any en-route and use them as originally intended but I see no reason why they shouldn't be seen as 'just another cache' by others not on the long haul.

Thanks Foinavon....

What on earth's happened to it, Hazel, I drove past it today on route from another cache and its appearance has changed somewhat to say the least. I stopped the car to check it is till there (it is) and my trainer sank into the nearby (very) muddy puddle, one pair of socks being e-mailed to you for laundering purposes! :tired:

Yes... It HAS changed somewhat!!

I went there, for a nosey at a coin, like I always do, and the tree it was in the bowl of had suddenly almost gone... However, there were lots of tractor marks in and out of the field,and I reckon that the tractor has hit the tree and bent the trunk over. There is still a fab hidey hole for the cache, BUT it IS easier for the cache to slip down and end up in the ditch now!

I don't do men's laundry anymore... take yer socks home!! :laughing:<_< lol

I think they have a place - We have an M25 MM cache, one of the few, which is also in a decent (not great, but needs must) location, and has a decent size ammo can.

I feel it serves two purposes - an incentive to stop on a long journey, and a collection point for TBs that are moving around the country. Obviously, many of the logs on our cache are locals, but we have had a good 5 or so that are from travellers. Its only been out a few weeks...

I agree that no one uses them as a site to eat their butties, but this is tricky. One tends to want a nice location, maybe with a view, at which to sit for a break - however these tend to collect other people, and maybe a bench or two, and eventually maybe a cafe. However, caches need quiet areas...

We've used MM caches up the M6 as an excuse to stop the car, have a ciggie, and at one site, drink a coffee while waiting for the muggles to move on! Without the caches, we probably wouldn;t have stopped at all...

Finally, an added advantage is that I have all the MM caches on my little SatNav, with prox alerts, as I know these will be easily do-able. Its a useful way of identifying them...

just my 10p worth!

Dave

Not all motorway caches are poor, some cache owners have used great imagination when setting their caches and made for a nice break on long journeys. There is one cache I did last summer on the way home from Wales and it frightened the life out of Alibags my caching companion :laughing: when the hide was found. The Phillimore Clan were rather insistant that we did that one...swines! <_<

I have seen a few regular sized boxes too - they arent all micros.

Edited by Alice Band

Not all motorway caches are poor, some cache owners have used great imagination when setting their caches and made for a nice break on long journeys. There is one cache I did last summer on the way home from Wales and it frightened the life out of Alibags my caching companion :laughing: when the hide was found.

I have seen a few regular sized boxes too - they arent all micros.

I know which one you mean too Marika....

And Badger laughed at me so much when I screamed!!!!

For us , since the advent of caching into our lives,(now 2 years ago next week), we only do long journeys to find new caches, and to find MMs on the way is a bit of a bonus.

More are required up the M6, preferrably between cheshire and cumbria, though as the journey between the lakes( our favourite caching area) and cheshire is getting a bit monotonous again.:-)

Being on the road a lot of the time i am sometimes in need of a quick cache fix and they do the job. If placed as they should be, can also be a source of cheaper food,fuel and amusement if placed with thought.

I will agree..some of them are just placed nowhere..most MM are Micros ..i do like to find a box and some MM are small or Ammo boxes....what better place to have a TB hotel then near a motorway....very quick turn around for TBs....

Edited by Messe