The most clever cache's you've seen?

Ok, I really don't want this to follow the slippery slope towards micro's vs. regular or urban vs. rural, I just want to get some CURRENT (preferably bleeding edge) ideas to think up a few good hides for my area.

I just want to know about your experiences with REALLY clever caches. The kind that just leave you smiling at thin air when you find them. Even if you've seen a few in your area, they may be unknown in my area.

Thanks in advance! I would really like to contribute something TRULY unique to my area.

Robert

(edit attempt: darn! you can't edit the Topic Description! I meant hide! Actually, I think I got cut off...)

Edited by deirarobert

We did one last winter that sent us on quite a hike. The cache placer sent us on a tour of the local area between stage 1 and 2 of a multi. At stage 2 we found a multiple choice quiz that you needed to answer by observing those local areas and recalling details about them to correctly deduct the final coords. Well we answered incorrectly the first time and took quite a hike in the wrong direction and searched for almost an hour before realizing that we messed up somewhere. We went back to stage 2, checked our answers and found the correct coords. The great lesson learned was to observe your surroundings instead of just "following the arrow" while out hiking for a cache.

Another involved projecting waypoints. We're still working on that one though. <_<

If you're just talking about containers then I think the best (and simplest) we've seen so far was a small tupperware container that had a thin rock hot-glued to the lid and the entire container was just pressed down into some spongy dirt. Went back twice and realized after almost replacing said stone a second time that I had held the cache in my hands last time and almost put it back again before realizing it was there. I even chuckled to myself thinking a mouse was probably upset that I had moved his front door because it looked like a small tunnel leading down into the dirt. I was a newbie at the time, but it still makes me laugh at how something so simple kept me stumped for two days :laughing:

We did one last winter that sent us on quite a hike. The cache placer sent us on a tour of the local area between stage 1 and 2 of a multi. At stage 2 we found a multiple choice quiz that you needed to answer by observing those local areas and recalling details about them to correctly deduct the final coords. Well we answered incorrectly the first time and took quite a hike in the wrong direction and searched for almost an hour before realizing that we messed up somewhere. We went back to stage 2, checked our answers and found the correct coords. The great lesson learned was to observe your surroundings instead of just "following the arrow" while out hiking for a cache.

Another involved projecting waypoints. We're still working on that one though. <_<

If you're just talking about containers then I think the best (and simplest) we've seen so far was a small tupperware container that had a thin rock hot-glued to the lid and the entire container was just pressed down into some spongy dirt. Went back twice and realized after almost replacing said stone a second time that I had held the cache in my hands last time and almost put it back again before realizing it was there. I even chuckled to myself thinking a mouse was probably upset that I had moved his front door because it looked like a small tunnel leading down into the dirt. I was a newbie at the time, but it still makes me laugh at how something so simple kept me stumped for two days :laughing:

These are great! I am definitely looking for containers, experiences, puzzles, anything! I just want to create a unique experience.

Thanks again for the ideas already posted and those to come!

Robert

These are great! I am definitely looking for containers, experiences, puzzles, anything! I just want to create a unique experience.

Thanks again for the ideas already posted and those to come!

Robert

Have you looked through the 'Cool Cache Pictures' thread in the forums? You'll get plenty of great ideas there.

That link takes you to about Page 29 of 30. Navigate back to page one and go to town.

JohnTee

One of the things that there really aren't a lot of (at least in PA where I have cached) is night only caches. The ones that have been done are great. You can use things like phosphorescent tape or reflective tape. A while back I read on the forums about a dim light beacon only observable at night (very low light) that you had to find from given location.

Edit: Yeah, follow "Novel Cache Ideas" link above. Should have read that tab before posting. Sorry.

Edited by starcr250