Delorme Handheld is Here

centme37

I noticed that the unit and information is displayed on their website.

www.delorme.com

I downloaded the PDF manual and quickly perused the info. It sounds quite capable and it will certainly capture some of the people who complain about the topo resolution and detail from both Garmin and Magellan.

One thing I noted that displeased me was there was no auto-routing. It warns you if your off route but you have to select a reroute like the Explorist 500 and unlike my Garmin 60Cx which re-routes automatically.

At first blush, it doesn't look bad. I'll be anxious to hear reviews, etc.

For the convenience of the viewing audience, hot-click to delorme here.

A few observations:

• The maps are the strongest feature on this model. They are beautiful.
  • I found I needed to load a Flash add-on to get the demo functioning (new Firefox and IE versions on my machine)
  • Price of $370 includes special Topo USA software. They say that there's no special unbundled pricing for current TopoUSA owners; you have to jettison the old software.
  • The software reads gpx and loc files
  • The size looks a little longer, wider, and thicker than an Explorist.
  • Shipping around January 15, accepting preorders now.

Edit: my review of the manual indicates that the SD memory will carry map files, but no additional waypoint files. One is limited to a single 1000-waypoint file in internal memory. That's a disappointment to me, but my impression is that much of the rest of the firmware seems well-thought. The documentation looks pretty good, too.

Edited by embra

Maps have long been DeLorme's only strong point. The software is klunky, and barely runs on a PDA, even with only the most elemental features provided. I had an early version that came with my Digitraveler GPS, and soon ditched it. I got Street Atlas 2007 for Christmas, and it's not much better. It's ok on a laptop, totally unacceptable on a PDA, although the maps are nice. You just can't read them very well on a PDA due to small fonts and lack of contrast. Judging from their PDA software, their GPS won't be that great. I'll pass, thanks.

Edited by NightPilot

Maps have long been DeLorme's only strong point. The software is klunky, and barely runs on a PDA, even with only the most elemental features provided. I had an early version that came with my Digitraveler GPS, and soon ditched it. I got Street Atlas 2007 for Christmas, and it's not much better. It's ok on a laptop, totally unacceptable on a PDA, although the maps are nice. You just can't read them very well on a PDA due to small fonts and lack of contrast. Judging from their PDA software, their GPS won't be that great. I'll pass, thanks.

You may be right regarding delorme products on a PDA. However, with so many complaints from GPS users concerning the lack of good topo capabilities on the Garmin and Magellan units, the new Delorme GPS might be the answer for some. Maybe it will apply some pressure on the Garmin and Maggie people to find some solutions to their topo shortcomings.

www.delorme.com

I downloaded the PDF manual and quickly perused the info. It sounds quite capable and it will certainly capture some of the people who complain about the topo resolution and detail from both Garmin and Magellan.

One thing I noted that displeased me was there was no auto-routing. It warns you if your off route but you have to select a reroute like the Explorist 500 and unlike my Garmin 60Cx which re-routes automatically.

There is auto routing, just pick your two points and then calculate. When you get off route, it just asks you if you want to recalculate and then you either hit yes or no.

It will be intersting to see what the sensitivity of the reciever is.I really hope I dont end up liking it too mch I dont want to buy another gps right now.Now if they came out with software from garmin for the aeriel photos I would be very bery happy.Maybe a new handheld from Garmin with the sirf,3axis compass,color hi res aerial photos with unlimitd waypoint capacity based on your card size and maybe teh ability to store more cache information and I would be very very happy

www.delorme.com

There is auto routing, just pick your two points and then calculate. When you get off route, it just asks you if you want to recalculate and then you either hit yes or no.

That's true but having had an Explorist 500 which also tells you when you are off route, you still have to look at the device and hit a key to reroute. I now have a Garmin 60Cx and it re-routes automatically very soon after you missed a turn, etc. and it does the recalculation very quickly. This is one of the best features of the Garmin.

For the convenience of the viewing audience, hot-click to delorme here.

A few observations:

[*]Price of $370 includes special Topo USA software. They say that there's no special unbundled pricing for current TopoUSA owners; you have to jettison the old software.

From a post by Delorme staffer CMason in the Delorme forums:

Existing Topo USA 6.0 customers should call us at 800-561-5105 starting this Monday and we can take your order. Since you already bought the latest version of Topo USA from us before the PN-20 was ready, your price will be only $299.95 for the base build, which does not include the Power Travel Kit or an SD card with reader (also discounted). This is an introductory offer that will expire in time. You should uninstall your existing T-6 and use the new one provided instead as it has had a lot of work done for the PN-20/T-6 exchange process.

Well, that price drop nudged me over the edge. That, and the level of the discussion with Delorme staff in the forum. It's so refreshing to see people involved with the production taking an interactive role in problem-solving and responding to improvement suggestions. I was figuring that I'd sit it out a while and see what sifted out after a year or so, but when I see people who appear concerned in trying to provide a good product, I feel drawn to helping in the process (plus, I wouldn't mind having a hand in designing, if only remotely, the kind of GPS I want).

Well, that price drop nudged me over the edge. That, and the level of the discussion with Delorme staff in the forum. It's so refreshing to see people involved with the production taking an interactive role in problem-solving and responding to improvement suggestions. I was figuring that I'd sit it out a while and see what sifted out after a year or so, but when I see people who appear concerned in trying to provide a good product, I feel drawn to helping in the process (plus, I wouldn't mind having a hand in designing, if only remotely, the kind of GPS I want).

Kind of hoping you will take the plunge and get the PN-20. You are such a rich resource to Magellan users and others alike, you would soon become a valuable resource for us new Delorme GPSr users.

Interesting GPS receiver - looks enticing.

However, their web page indicates that they would include 400 sq miles of free

aerial imagery, a $100 value. That's a little concerning. Are they saying that

a 20mi x 20mi area is $100 to get the aerial imagery? That seems incredibly

expensive if you wanted to purchase aerial maps for large areas or vacation /

trip locations. Am I missing something here?

Cool maps. Good

1000 Waypoints. Good.

No Auto Routing. Bad.

Dinky Screen. Bad.

GPX, LOC compatabiloity. Good.

Crappy PDA software...Bad (They have this in common with NGS)

Includes Topo Maps...Good and Bad depending.

Limited Arial Maps. Bad.

Discussion in the forums with Delorme Staff. Excellent.

That last bit means Version 2 will likely be much improved.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Interesting GPS receiver - looks enticing.

However, their web page indicates that they would include 400 sq miles of free

aerial imagery, a $100 value. That's a little concerning. Are they saying that

a 20mi x 20mi area is $100 to get the aerial imagery? That seems incredibly

expensive if you wanted to purchase aerial maps for large areas or vacation /

trip locations. Am I missing something here?

I believe that some imagery is available on CD that translates to much less cost per/sq. mi. Check out their website and search for the imagery.

No Auto Routing. Bad.

I pretty much agree with your assessment, but my understanding is that the unit does autoroute. (I have no idea yet how it compares to Magellan and Garmin autorouting, but I should be able to evaluate that soon) Maybe you're referring to the comment above that it requires input to recalculate a new route if one goes astray from the original.

One of the things that attracts me to this unit is that the desktop version of TopoUSA autoroutes using trail data, too (and the trail data, though incomplete, seems more extensive than other programs I've seen). Forum discussions indicate that at present, the route can be transferred to the GPS; however, re-calculating the route goes back to street autorouting...so currently one can't autoroute with trails on the fly. Delorme says they'll fix that: their first test in my book.

Cool maps. Good

1000 Waypoints. Good.

No Auto Routing. Bad.

Dinky Screen. Bad.

GPX, LOC compatabiloity. Good.

Crappy PDA software...Bad (They have this in common with NGS)

Includes Topo Maps...Good and Bad depending.

Limited Arial Maps. Bad.

Discussion in the forums with Delorme Staff. Excellent.

That last bit means Version 2 will likely be much improved.

Maps - yes, they are very good.

Auto routing - There is routing on the PN-20. Just choose your current location or add a waypoint and then calculate using road or direct. If you get off course it will not automatically recalculate for you. It will ask you if you want to re-calculate from your current position and then you either hit yes or no.

Dinky Screen - It's not as bad as you might think. With the clarity of the screen and the color make it pretty darn good.

GPX, LOC - Yes Yes

Crappy PDA software - no comment other than we are just talking about the PN-20 here and not the PDA software

Includes Topo Maps - Good

Limited Arial Maps - I like them espeacially for out in the rural areas where not much has changed.

Discussion in the forums with Delorme Staff - Most excellent!!

No Auto Routing. Bad.

I pretty much agree with your assessment, but my understanding is that the unit does autoroute. (I have no idea yet how it compares to Magellan and Garmin autorouting, but I should be able to evaluate that soon) Maybe you're referring to the comment above that it requires input to recalculate a new route if one goes astray from the original.

One of the things that attracts me to this unit is that the desktop version of TopoUSA autoroutes using trail data, too (and the trail data, though incomplete, seems more extensive than other programs I've seen). Forum discussions indicate that at present, the route can be transferred to the GPS; however, re-calculating the route goes back to street autorouting...so currently one can't autoroute with trails on the fly. Delorme says they'll fix that: their first test in my book.

I'll look forward to your evaluation. When I read the site I saw it routed but didn't read that it did automobile routing, but I didn't read in depth and coule have missed it. The trail data also has my interest as well. 1:24,000 topo maps with solid trail data and the ability to get them on my GPS (and Autorouting) would move it up my list. With those two things the Arials would be a bonus.

...Crappy PDA software...Bad (They have this in common with NGS)

...That last bit means Version 2 will likely be much improved.

...Crappy PDA software - no comment other than we are just talking about the PN-20 here and not the PDA software..

Just a follow up. The entire black area surrounding the screen makes for a lot of room for a bigger screen. Normally my screen comments mean "they didn't use all the available space for the screen". Bigger is better all other things being the same. There is always a bit of the map just off the edge that would help...

The PDA software comment is valid. Backcountry Navigator is the best geocaching topo map solution I've seen (Haven't tried Oziexplorer). I have tried NG Topo on the PDA which falls on it's face for my uses. I tried someone elses Topo solution (Delorme or MapTech) and emailed them a lot of advice as I uninstalled it as worthless for geocaching. The point being Delorme can offer one stop shopping---if they get it right. Computer, PDA, GPS. Pretty cool. I only use Garmin software to put maps on the GPS.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Just a follow up. The entire black area surrounding the screen makes for a lot of room for a bigger screen. Normally my screen comments mean "they didn't use all the available space for the screen". Bigger is better all other things being the same. There is always a bit of the map just off the edge that would help...

I agree.

The PDA software comment is valid. Backcountry Navigator is the best geocaching topo map solution I've seen (Haven't tried Oziexplorer). I have tried NG Topo on the PDA which falls on it's face for my uses. I tried someone elses Topo solution (Delorme or MapTech) and emailed them a lot of advice as I uninstalled it as worthless for geocaching. The point being Delorme can offer one stop shopping---if they get it right. Computer, PDA, GPS. Pretty cool. I only use Garmin software to put maps on the GPS.

Once again, no comment :blink: