Disabled Caches

I was just wondering what is the normal length of time before a disabled cache should become an archived cache?? There are a total of six that have been disabled in my area ranging from June 19, 2005 to September 13, 2006. Should I send an email to my local reviewer to notify them, or should I just ignore the caches??

Dakota Cachers

I was just wondering what is the normal length of time before a disabled cache should become an archived cache?? There are a total of six that have been disabled in my area ranging from June 19, 2005 to September 13, 2006. Should I send an email to my local reviewer to notify them, or should I just ignore the caches??

Dakota Cachers

Either way (ignore or /sba) would be a fine approach. Something that has been disabled for more than a year does seem a little overdue to be archived, though. The more recent ones may require involved preparations and thus are still reasonable.

If you yourself want to place a cache in one of the locations currently blocked by the disabled ones, I'd say contact the reviewer. Otherwise, just put them on your ignore list.

If it has been sitting for more than two months, i'd email the owner asking them if they plan on doing anything to it. Depending on the reply you get (if any) you can then tell if you need to contact the reviewer.

I figure if the owner hasn't done anything to it in two months time, they are not in the position to properly maintain it in the first place.

If it has been sitting for more than two months, i'd email the owner asking them if they plan on doing anything to it. Depending on the reply you get (if any) you can then tell if you need to contact the reviewer.

I figure if the owner hasn't done anything to it in two months time, they are not in the position to properly maintain it in the first place.

Well, I'd make sure that I contacted the owner before making any assumptions. I've seen a lot of caches disabled for longer than two months due to unsafe weather conditions or construction, for example. Usually those pages say something about the reason they are disabled--but some owners might not think to put that information on the cache page. I know of an Earthcache and a regular caches that are disabled every year for several months because the parks they are in are only open to the public certain months of the year.

Dakota Cachers

Reviewers are getting better about responding to disabled caches. You don't need to do a thing. Hopefully they will come back as viable caches. Otherwise the approvers will archived them.

Well, I'd make sure that I contacted the owner before making any assumptions. I've seen a lot of caches disabled for longer than two months due to unsafe weather conditions or construction, for example. Usually those pages say something about the reason they are disabled--but some owners might not think to put that information on the cache page. I know of an Earthcache and a regular caches that are disabled every year for several months because the parks they are in are only open to the public certain months of the year.

Yep. There can be valid reasons for the continued disable (including they haven't gotten around to fixing it yet) If there isn't any posting stating why there will be a delay, after three months there's nothing wrong with a quick "any status on the cache?" post. A lot of times people disable their cache and post that they will get out and fix it, and then time passes.

It's in the best interest of the owner to post something as I have seen reviewers ask for status or see a request for status and after a few weeks archive the cache stating that the owner can have it unarchived when it's replaced. (Of course somebody else can simply place a new cache in the area.)

Then of course we get into that whole geotrash retrieval thing.

Some of these, the owners havent been active in a few months. Ranging from four months to nine months. There are two places I'd really like to place a cache, and both of these have been disabled for over a year. I quess I will be patient or I'll send the owner an email asking them if they intend to reinstate the cache.

A friendly frog tipped me off about this thread. <_<

I tend to tell people when they ask about such things in my area (the Dakotas) to either post should be archived logs or feel free to send me the GC#s of the caches and I will take a look. Either is fine with me. I also try to go through and check for issues every couple of months, but I am overdue on that and also tend to always miss a few. So feel free to forward the info on to me.

Thanks!