Something Odd

JEKE

Couple of weeks ago I went for a hike in a park where I had done a cache a year ago. From the trail I could see a red, plastic, shopping bag tied to a sapling just above the cache. This weekend a cache that was cunningly hidden in a stone wall had a metallic potato chip bag stuffed on the rocks just above, inches above, the cache. Neither of these were cache and dashs were the garbage could be from muggles and there was no other garbage in the area. Is there some reason someone would want to mark caches?

I have never had garbage marking a cache, but I have run across the "pointing stick" many of times. I know it is silly, but that stick is sooooo annoying! This next comment is to the people who leave the pointing stick. Way to ruin the hunt for me, thanks, thanks a bunch, you, you you....... errr

Wow, interesting... I've never seen pointing sticks or garbage. The most I saw was a cache owner who left marking tape on the tree and said:

When you get close to the cache, look for some pink surveyors tape tied to a tree. That tape is within 15' of the cache you are looking for. That's the accuracy I expect of my GPS when I go hunting and I think is pretty fair.

I thought this was nice as overgrowth was horrible making reception poor to none.

Some people leave footprints in the snow (ok, in the old days, anyway)... some leave the fall leaves upside down or otherwise misplaced. It's all so cruel. It is usually best to look for caches that have not been found for over a year.

OK, joking aside, it does seem odd to mark the cache location. I often leave the stick I was using to poke in the rocks nearby, maybe very near by (but not usually), but I think this is different from what you are talking about (making an "arrow" pointer on a trail?). Of course, there are some caches (e.g. "Moose Gills") where a pointer might have been welcome at the time! In general, I would frown upon leaving markers, and especially leaving CITO fodder. I have not yet seen anything that looks like intentional marking, and I hope it stays that way.

... some leave the fall leaves upside down or otherwise misplaced.

:yikes: lol <_<

I remedy that by picking them up, and taking them with me.

If the cache area is not already trampled beyond repair I try to cover my steps with leaves and perhaps a random stick or two to break up any clear patch of leaves. Often caches have too much cover.. two sticks may cover it, but a foot high stick pile shouts through the forest.

Some people leave footprints in the snow ...

What we supposed to do, not go caching in the winter? I understand if it is a often visited cache, but for some that are out in the middle of nowhere that rarely get visited, especially in the winter, what does it hurt? I enjoy caching in the winter, and if I was afraid of making footprints I wouldn't have any finds since the beginning of December.

What we supposed to do, not go caching in the winter? I understand if it is a often visited cache, but for some that are out in the middle of nowhere that rarely get visited, especially in the winter, what does it hurt? I enjoy caching in the winter, and if I was afraid of making footprints I wouldn't have any finds since the beginning of December.

I think that goes right along with

<_<

:D

I placed a 4 part multicache (A Trip Around Plattsburgh) just prior to the first 5 inches of snowfall for the year. The FTF was hoping for some footprints to follow. I usually wander through the snow on my way back and in when I get close or get a hunch. The footprints make the day quicker.

Edited by alexhenryj

:rolleyes:

I placed a 4 part multicache (A Trip Around Plattsburgh) just prior to the first 5 inches of snowfall for the year. The FTF was hoping for some footprints to follow. I usually wander through the snow on my way back and in when I get close or get a hunch. The footprints make the day quicker.

That looks like a good cache. I may try it the next time we are in the North Country. I lived in Champlain and Rouses Point for over three years and Plattsburgh was a place I got to know well.

:D

That looks like a good cache. I may try it the next time we are in the North Country. I lived in Champlain and Rouses Point for over three years and Plattsburgh was a place I got to know well.

Thanks! I like it here. I was born and raised in Rotterdam, NY (Schenectady County) and have also lived in Northern VA. I like it, there are just limited opportunities to advance a career.

Thanks! I like it here. I was born and raised in Rotterdam, NY (Schenectady County) and have also lived in Northern VA. I like it, there are just limited opportunities to advance a career.

True. I used to work for the INS in Champlain, Rouses Point and Mooers.