A good landmark cache...?

Coming up for my 500th cache and would like to make it a memorable one. Any ideas for a good 'un in the north west of England? I don't want it to be the hardest puzzle cache ever set (not unless there's a big clue or three thrown in) and it doesn't need to be a 5/5 (especially if it involves heights and rather large drops or twenty mile walks) but I would like to to be something worthwhile, any suggestions out there?

I've not done many in the NW of England, but I enjoyed climbing Scafell Pike to get the two on its top. This might not be the time of year for it though. They're a 7ish mile walk, with no big drops to be seen (so long as you're careful!) and the height never feels too bad because of all the other fells around. England's highest cache must be worth consideration for a 500th (Snowdon 750th, Ben Nevis 1000th?) :(

England's highest cache must be worth consideration for a 500th (Snowdon 750th, Ben Nevis 1000th?) :(

Normally I'd agree with you on that one but a particulary bad back is going to put that one on the back-burner (ouch! sorry!) for some time yet, unless anybody on here can offer the loan of a helicopter for an hour or two... please?... pretty please? ;)

There's some good caches on the Wirral and plenty to choose from, one of PhilPamandRobs puzzles or multis might be worth a look.

Wirral Caches bookmark

Millennium for 1000

The Ghostly Haunted Trail

The Open - Royal Liverpool G C : The Claret Jug, if you've time for the 9 that lead up to it.

The Wirral Challenge

All well thought out caches that I particularly enjoyed doing.

(Well, they would be, being Phil's :( )

K would be a great landmark . Not specifically difficult but an absolutely brilliant & entertaining multi with a beautiful final location. Lots of "if you do one cache this year" type comments in the logs. Took us weeks but I think has been done in a long weekend. You could start collecting stages in advance and save the final for the 500th.

Cotton Dell Tree Trail is a lovely multi with evil hides (so risks a DNF on your landmark I suppose) if you're up for a challenge

If you are looking for great views over Cheshire and to Wales you can do Rhodedendrons and Sandstone and Caves and Sandstone on the same walk.

For an interesting flat walk there's Millennium for 1000 on the Wirral with nice views across the Mersey to Liverpool. Just be more careful than me when you write the numbers down!

There are also nice views to Wales in a very atmospheric spot at The Lost Quays.

If you are looking for great views over Cheshire and to Wales you can do Rhodedendrons and Sandstone and Caves and Sandstone on the same walk.

For an interesting flat walk there's Millennium for 1000 on the Wirral with nice views across the Mersey to Liverpool. Just be more careful than me when you write the numbers down!

There are also nice views to Wales in a very atmospheric spot at The Lost Quays.

Yeah - any of the sandstone trail caches are nice, and a lovely walk normally too.

I did Millennium for 1000 for my 700th, and it IS a nice walk, watch the dog poo though, and wrap up well!

The Lost Quays is also lovely - but then it's one of my parents' caches, so some might say I'm biased, but it REALLY is in a gorgeous spot. You relaly feel like you are the only person arounds for miles and miles.

The right time of year to do it too - I got bitten to death by Mozzies there in the summer - we have had horrific problems over the last few years with moizzies on the marshes. :laughing:

Stop whinging you big girls blouse... :unsure:

Are you a man or a shirt button? :laughing:

"Rakers"..it's gotta be "Rakers" for your 500th!

Cheers

Dave

Already done it, albeit in pre-caching days. Later that day we met two girls in the pub (New DG I'm afraid, not the Old DG), whilst sat on the top of Pavey Ark one apparantly said "This ruck-sack's too heavy I'll pick it up later" and promptly threw it over the edge to meet it's doom somewhere near the banks of Stickle Tarn. Half way on it's descent her friend casually asks "Where's the camera?" ooooops! <_<

Stop whinging you big girls blouse... :laughing:

Are you a man or a shirt button? :ph34r:

"Rakers"..it's gotta be "Rakers" for your 500th!

Cheers

Dave

Already done it, albeit in pre-caching days. Later that day we met two girls in the pub (New DG I'm afraid, not the Old DG), whilst sat on the top of Pavey Ark one apparantly said "This ruck-sack's too heavy I'll pick it up later" and promptly threw it over the edge to meet it's doom somewhere near the banks of Stickle Tarn. Half way on it's descent her friend casually asks "Where's the camera?" ooooops! :ph34r:

A shirt button, I reckon :D . The ascent of Jack's Rake is only part of the challenge .....