Back Pack Feedback

GeoBlank

Wondering what other Northwest people use for day hikes. Not specific to caching but in general when they will be out for a long day and need to take more than just swag.

What would your feedback be on these two items...

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDis...vcat=REI_SEARCH

Both of these look pretty good. I am open to other personal experiences and recommendations as well.

Best advice I can give is to get one that fits you and what you want to carry in it. A well padded model may be what one person "needs" while a super-light weight bag is what someone else wants. Some like lots of places to strap things on the outside, others want a sleek profile that won't hang on bushes/trees.

Personally, I like lumbar packs for day trips (depending on the amount of stuff I take) as I find them very comfortable. But I also love my MountainSmith Bugaboo (sadly no longer available) as I can put 30-35 pounds in it and within a few minutes don't notice it.

Opinions for/against brands need to be taken with a grain of salt, as you can always find someone of the opposite opinion.

Your second choice, the REI backpack would be the pack of choice. I would do as Criminal suggested and get fitted for it. It will save you a lot of time in front of the mirror figuring it out.

I use a golite dawn unless I am carrying my snowshoes. If I am lugging my snowshoes I used my highly modified REI morningstar. The morningstar is not a day pack but thanks to some modifications mine only weights 1.5 pounds, a lot of day packs weigh more then that.

When I bother to carry water I use either small plastic soda bottles or a platypus bag. In the past I have sewn "hydration" pockets into my packs but now I don't bother with all that. I just put the platypus inside my pack against the side that goes against my back or I lay it in the very bottom.

When I am using my golite dawn pack I put the platypus in back panel zipper pocket but it's not the most ideal place to carry such a heavy item if you want a well balanced load.

Edited by luckykoi

Wondering what other Northwest people use for day hikes. Not specific to caching but in general when they will be out for a long day and need to take more than just swag.

What would your feedback be on these two items...

Both of these look pretty good. I am open to other personal experiences and recommendations as well.

Those are both too heavy for a daypack IMHO.

Your second choice, the REI backpack would be the pack of choice. I would do as Criminal suggested and get fitted for it. It will save you a lot of time in front of the mirror figuring it out.

I use a golite dawn unless I am carrying my snowshoes. If I am lugging my snowshoes I used my highly modified REI morningstar. The morningstar is not a day pack but thanks to some modifications mine only weights 1.5 pounds, a lot of day packs weigh more then that.

When I bother to carry water I use either small plastic soda bottles or a platypus bag. In the past I have sewn "hydration" pockets into my packs but now I don't bother with all that. I just put the platypus inside my pack against the side that goes against my back or I lay it in the very bottom.

When I am using my golite dawn pack I put the platypus in back panel zipper pocket but it's not the most ideal place to carry such a heavy item if you want a well balanced load.

For your basic hiker, it looks like the Golite isn't an optimal backpack for loose gear that a geocacher generally carries. (Review) Of course, the mileage of each hiker will vary dependent entirely on their technical skill at packing.

I use an REI Alpine which weighs in at just over 3 lbs empty with 3100 ci capacity. I have used it for an overnight (although I'm in the market for a better overnight backpack) as well as short and long dayhikes. Overall, it is a good durable backpack for multiple uses.

I have seen the backpack the OP is looking at and I consider it a modified slimmer version of mine. It will hold loose gear better without as much collapse as your backpack seems to be prone to according to the review. The only thing it seems to lack is a good lateral cinch strap to tighten the pack up. The four corner cinches won't do the right job IMO.

For your basic hiker, it looks like the Golite isn't an optimal backpack for loose gear that a geocacher generally carries. (Review) Of course, the mileage of each hiker will vary dependent entirely on their technical skill at packing.

The question was not about what pack to take caching, it was about what pack to take when not caching. When I am caching I take an off the rack Wal Mart pack that I cut the brand name label off of because I don't care to advertise for them. I think it was outdoor something. I stuff it with diapers and swag and toss it into the car.

This is what I use when day hiking and perhaps I'll go to a cache or two if there are any on my route.. :laughing:

goldsummitme.jpg

No need to have loose gear though. I keep stuff in silnylon bags, one for spare clothes and a smaller one for my first aid kit. any type of bag could be put inside the pack but silnylon bags are light and waterproof.

I keep a foam sit pad (cut from a foam sleepin pad) in it for extra support and for something to sit on when I am eating lunch especially if there is snow on the ground. The pad acts a bit like a frame. But when I carry snowshoes the extra weight is enough that it is not real comfortable and that is when I go to my REI morning star pack. REI branded stuff is cheaper then the the other stuff they carry at REI.

My morning star used to look like this

out3.jpg

Now it looks like this morningstarmodified.jpg

I cut off the heavy zippered side panels and back back panel and replaced them with mesh pockets. I also cut off the top pocket and tossed it. The pack lost about 2 pounds when I modified it and is much for functional for me. Those zippers did not work very well and they weighed a lot.

Edited by luckykoi

I like to think of this one as the SUV of backpacks. Approach 3.0

Or these:

Hiker

Lily

Those look good but they still rest against your back while you wear them, way too hot for me. If it's important (to you or the OP) not to hike with a sweaty back, look into the packs that don't do that.

That's EXACTLY my concern about these: too hot and sweaty on my back. The Approach seems ideal in all other respects.

I asked a similar question a few days ago. The best things I have seen are the Gregory Z55 and the Osprey Atmos 50. They have backs like the one you describe, and especially the Z55 is extremely comfortable - but like yours, they are all top-loaders. I don't mind them being on the large side.

So, I'm looking for something as comfortable as the Z55, and as functional as the Approach 3.0. The Osprey Atmos 50 is kinda in the middle, but not optimal in either respect.

Common wisdom used to be that a load should be as close as possible to your back for reasons of stability, and this new concept is a relatively new development. I think I'll just have to wait a bit until a front panel loader hits the market.

Or these:

Hiker

Lily

Those look good but they still rest against your back while you wear them, way too hot for me. If it's important (to you or the OP) not to hike with a sweaty back, look into the packs that don't do that.

That's EXACTLY my concern about these: too hot and sweaty on my back. The Approach seems ideal in all other respects.

I asked a similar question a few days ago. The best things I have seen are the Gregory Z55 and the Osprey Atmos 50. They have backs like the one you describe, and especially the Z55 is extremely comfortable - but like yours, they are all top-loaders. I don't mind them being on the large side.

So, I'm looking for something as comfortable as the Z55, and as functional as the Approach 3.0. The Osprey Atmos 50 is kinda in the middle, but not optimal in either respect.

Common wisdom used to be that a load should be as close as possible to your back for reasons of stability, and this new concept is a relatively new development. I think I'll just have to wait a bit until a front panel loader hits the market.

My back does not sweat so this is one issue I don't have to worry about. :laughing:

Or these:

Hiker

Lily

You're right Criminal, my back does sweat with this backpack, easy to forget when it's 20 degrees out this time of year. If I could find a pack like my Approach with a mesh back, it would be the perfect pack for me.

Another thing to consider: Gear will expand to fit the room allotted for it. In other words, if you get a big pack you will find that you get a big load... :laughing:

Ain't that the truth! I find myself pulling things out all the time, but it is usually after a micsonception that I might need it at all. That being said, I'd rather have a pack big enough to expand when needed, than to have to buy another one cuz the one I have is too small for the mission. Even though my pack is 3100 ci, I typically carry far less than that and cinch up to tighten the pack.

Edited by TotemLake