Wyoming caching

wyohunter

Brownbag....Here we come! Really looking forward to all of this. I personally think the BrownBag event should continue as an anual event and we should all support it. Ok, we all on board for the State group? Still looking for responses. Here's an idea...

Anyone thinking of forming a sub group might wish to plan on going to the Brown Bag Event to have a meeting of the minds. With any luck, we can have it all figured out and and maybe have an end of summer State event.

What can we do to help with the Brownbag event?

If possible Lee, would you want to do a State web page with a community calander on it so we can better plan events? Maybe we can raffel off a prize (yes, coins) to offset the $ involved for the State web page and event. I would be willing to donate to make it happen.

Is everyone ok with my previous post and ideas? Still looking for more input.

If anyone from Casper, Douglas, Lusk and surrounging areas would like to be part of North Platte River Cachers, please post so we know who you are (oh, and spread the word).

BTW>>> The Expeditioners... we read your post. Welcome aboard.

I am the president of the Camel Cachers Club in Gillette (just found this thread) and I can assure you our club members are very interested in a state get=together as well as state organization. We have about 20 strong members that are trying to get together quarterly. We have given a few small presentations around town and have two huge presentations this summer, one thru the County Wellness Committee and one through a RV convention in town.

I'm sure that our members will be willing to help in any way we can, just ask and we'll find a way. As for a get-together--we'll be there if it is centrally located.

A 2007 Wyoming coin . . . awesome !

This is great! This is why I started this thread! Kim, sounds like we might actually get this going as long as Lee is ok with it. dblrngr, I didn't even know about your club! I think you could put in a lot of ideas on each of us getting our own clubs set up. I hope Rawlins is centrealy enough. I tried for South Pass to start but no one is there to help me get reservations going so we decided to use Rubicons Annual Brown bag event. But I do have one question, Kim, why aren't you guys joining up with the Camel Cachers? Just a question, don't flame me for asking. They are close to you. Anwyay, I am getting back in touch with oldwyo and see how he is faring on our club. Trying to get them to look over here. Not having the same luck you did but I am sure they will start looking at the forums eventually. Is there anyone from WNAG reading this?

I am fine with everything I am reading. If it is a concensus that we discuss the groups at the Brownbag Event, that's fine. If another place and/or time would be more agreeable, that's fine too. Let me know that the decision is so we can plan accordingly. It is good that we have this forum to exchange ideas and bring more people onboard. If you know anybody who wants to help, give them the address of this forum so they can put their $.02 worth in.

Well ,glad we are getting going. I did know about the Camel Cachers,and did cache in Gillette twice. they have great caching there. With the better weather Iam planing on heading that way to cache some more.Hint Hint. :rolleyes: I go to Casper alot as it is 1hour away on a major highway. Gillette is 2hours up Miner 500. Its really Highway 59,but the miners and railroaders drive really fast and loose. I also shop in Casper as shopping in Douglas is very limited. Is Camel Cachers the only group in Wy? Iam member of WNAG and I signed up on the net,back in oct I think. Cant wait for the Brownbag,the first of many Wy events I hope and the start of one large group of Wy geo clubs..Cant wait to see the Wy event calander,and the final product of all the groups coming together. Hogwild is sending samples of the map coin, ..So Rex your coin should be soon.. Hope we can all get a club list of 20 people..Look forward to meeting the Camel Cachers and all of you. June will never get here.. :blink:

As dblrngr said we do have an active club here in Gillette. I know that one of the big events that we are participating in is a RV rally the last week in June (about 900 RV's for a week that we are doing a seminar for)and I believe that the other one is the week before that so I think it would be best to have it well before the middle of June so it would not interfere with either of these.

trail cachers

I think that there's a larger group of cachers in Laramie, which isn't all that far from Gillette. You might do some checking and see if they are interested in coming up to your meeting. I will keep an eye out for a posting or get together in WY and try and make it up there. I had a lot of fun in the Guernsey Lake area with caches.

Caching Recreationalists of Wyoming? For a summer BBQ can have an event called "Come and eat CROW" ?

Anyway, just caught up on this thread - sure has been active lately, which is a good thing. I think there might finally be enough interest in geocaching to get a state organization off the ground. Anyway, we are supportive of a group effort for Wyoming cachers and will be looking forward to attending several (and hopefully hosting) events.

It really is good to see everyone posting here. My question at the start of this thread sure took a while to get answered. But it looks like there are several clubs in Wy! If we can get some from each club to the brown bag event in Rawlins we should be able to get State club going. I am more then willing to get things started for this. I think with the other club starters this should be a breeze. Thanks everyone! :unsure:

Glad to see we are getting a list of cachers and people talking about events and clubs. Please pin down where your event will be and the date ,so we can all plan to come and also keep from having more then one on the same day. When the Wy coin gets here we sould have a party!!! Groundspeak has told me I lost mail,sorry, if I never got someones email..kimba_03753@yahoo.com cell 307-359-1680... Its a nice weekend ,get out and cache. Hope to hit some caches myself,dropping coins in Douglas today. A big thanks to all who have jumped on board here,lets keep it going.

I was very excited this week! Probaby 90% of the caches within 50 miles of my home my wife and I have placed. There are very few cachers and almost all of them are new and so have not placed any caches. One of the newer cachers placed 4 new caches this past week. So my wife and Grand-daughter and I decided to drive the 40 miles to be FTF on all four caches. We found them all even though I almost gave up on one but Wheaties height and good eyes spied it when I had missed it. It was cold and very windy today so one didn't want to be out too long. We ate the best Huevos Rancheros within 200 miles before hitting the caches so it was a worthwhile trip! We are anxious for the two clubs that are trying to get started to do so, get some events planned so we can all get together.

Glad you had new caches to find today. Did you invite them all to join your club? I went caching with the mmgestes and we all had a great time today!! We talk about the North Platte River Cachers and cant wait to have a meeting so we can all get together. The Brown Bag Event here we come..... Did anyone else go caching? Lets not forget to hide caches also,more the merrier! TFTC

It is great to see some Wyoming cachers get a little interested in organizing. I have been caching across the state for 5 years now and have picked up a cache in every county by now including 725 total from the state of Wyoming itself. My caching time and time overall is limited to the previous years as we have a little baby now who almost 1 year old. We still do travel at times across the state mainly going to the Grandparents now in Sheridan or in the Black Hills of South Dakota. So can will be part of anything that is organized, I just will not be able to lead or run anything.

In general most states have their own group. We are one of the bigger states of course that is really set apart by our multi-county regions. Having state group mainly needs someone who is web site savvy to set information about various meetings across the state and to have some type of forum for everyone. Really having one so called state meeting a year is probably all that is needed as there are getting to be various little events that are starting to pop up across the state. Honestly there are not too many "active" cachers in the state to start with. It the years I have been around there have been 2 events in Green River, 1 in Rawins, and 1 in Casper that I attended. Other scheduled have been in Gillette, Laramie, and Big Horn I think.

Having the so called state event could rotate around the annual events at Rawlins and Casper with maybe adding Douglas in the mix now that it is more active than ever before. The biggest quantity of caches in the state though is in Sweetwater County and they have the most active and number of cachers. We are in the southwest corner of the state though, but would have one of the bigger attendances probably.

In general to fund a group other than membership fees is to have an auction at the state event from donated goods. The UTAG group in Utah is big with 300+ members. They have a couple of auctions a year to fund a few of their events to provide the bulk of drinks and main food while they still have people bring side dished and desserts.

Overall it may be tough. Just by having this discussion in the forums is a start. There are more and more Wyoming cachers every year and that means more interest in anything organized.

Good Luck

TH&G

If it is okay with Rubicon, can we have some time at your event in June, to discuss a future state event? Most of us are on the road to getting our local clubs forming. OldWyo in Green River and Kimba and I in the central-southeast part of the state. Of course, Gillette's group is going strong. TH&G brought up some very good points and maybe those of us who are together in June, who are interested, can discuss it more at that time. I really like the idea of one big state event per year with our other local group events scattered thruout the year. We can make this work. Geocaching is great in Wyoming!

Hi everyone!

I am excited about the idea of organizing into a couple groups and even perhaps a statewide group, if possible! We have been to every event we could attend since we started and had so much fun we had one of our own. It went to well (in spite of the weather) that we have decided to make it an annual event. We have met some wonderful people and it is indeed a pleasure to renew those friendships whenever possible. We would be honored to have anybody show up at our event to discuss one or more of the groups now being considered. We are reasonable centrally located so people wouldn't have a killer drive to come here. That is why we are having the event, to get cachers together to meet and interact and work out any issues we need to address. I have created and maintain several websites and volunteered my time and effort to getting one going but there is one caveat. I don't have the time to do more than one, especially in the summer time. My wife and I are very busy during the summer months as are all people from Wyoming so I just won't have a lot of time to devote but I will make time for one site if the consensus is I should proceed. If somebody else out there has experience and wants to do this, I will defer to them. So if it is decided that I will create and maintain a website we will have to come to a decision what that will be for. I don't know of any reason why it can't be a statewide website that encompasses any and all groups formed whether or not we get a state group going or not. It could be a meeting point for Wyoming cachers and would be a great way to inform of any meetings, events or get-togethers. I could add a forum to the site so we could have our own as well as this forum. There are lots of possibilities and the only problem I forsee is funding. It is not expensive to have a presence on the web (about $60 per year) but that money has to come from somewhere. I would be willing to donate a couple items which could be raffled off or we could have a silent auction as long as some others were willing to do the same. I do some woodworking so would be willing to donate items of that sort. This is something we could discuss on this forum or it could be discussed in June. Those are my feelings, what are yours?

'Rubiconlwb'

~~ Lee ~~

:signalviolin:

I say JUST DO IT. Set up a web site soon and get us another forum other than this one for Wyoming cachers to communicate. I will contribute to the initial cost if not all of it if there are no others. Just make it the Wyoming home page and have 4 or so different groups or regions involved - (Gillette-Sheridan area) - (Casper-Douglas-Lusk) - (Laramie-Cheyenne) and then the I-80 corridor (Evanston-Lyman-Green River-Rock Springs- Rawlins.) Another area could be a Riverton-Lander-Jackson-Star Valley region.

Call ourselves Wyoming Association of Geocachers (WAG) or name the site for Wyoming Cachers.

This year just make the Rawlins 2nd Annual Brown Bag Event on the 2nd Saturday of June and call it the state event for this year.

On a note of thanks and congratulations!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS to Chuckhole & Trailrunner's for their 50TH ANNIVERSARY!!! That is alot of married years together.

THANKS to Wyohunter for his efforts getting a Wyoming Geocoin going.

THANKS to Mr & Mrs. OldWyo for setting up the Green River Event we just had this month.

Todd, I just love your enthusiasm, that's why you have more cache finds than anybody else in Wyoming. That enthusiasm rubs off on all of us that are around you! You are one of the many people who have made us enjoy this hobby so much and I only wish I could pass that enthusiasm along to others as well as you have. I'm willing to get started as soon as we have a consensus on the domain name. Readers, give us your opinion and we'll do what the majority want. If we want to wait, the 2nd Annual Rawlins Brownbag Event would be a venue to approach the subject. We need input! Give us your opinion on this forum, that is why it was started. If you care to donate to get the website started, let me know. There are lots of possibilities here but we (I) need some direction.

WYNGS - Wyoming Networked Geocaching Society

We would likely be able to build a nice recognizable logo around that name.

I also like the sound of WYOGA (Wyoming Geocaching Association), WUFFGA (Wyoming United Fellowship For Geocaching Activities), and SWUNC (State of Wyoming Unified Network of Cachers) - but that is just my silly side imagining strange words.

Edited by KKTH3

OK, here is my recommendation. I say wyogeo.com! I checked and that domain name is open in .net and .us as well. We could use the use the logo below. I also listed several other possibilities I tried and they are all available in .com, .net and .us

YOGO (why)(oh)(gee)(oh)=wyogeo

These are also available:

wyogeocachers.com...

wyominggeocachers.com...

wyocachers.com...

wyomingcachers.com...

Any other ideas?

Edited by Rubiconlwb

Well glad we are all posting and maybe getting somewhere with all this. I will be more then glad to put some money in. As some cachers know I have a few coins getting minted so Iam willing at the events to sell them or raffle them for club money. So we will need a banker..my idea is if someone needs money to rent space for a event,or who knows what...They can ask for cash to help them get the ball rolling and then put it back by raffles or what ever. So if we always had $300. say,clubs may find it easier to get events going. Just an idea,let me know what you think. I think the wy group name should be easy so when they seach it comes up. My picks so far are ..Cachers of wyoming...Wyoming Geocaching Association..[i can already hear the jokes]. Can the web site have a calendar,we can use to post dates on? And can it list the different clubs with contact info? Iam game for the site before june,but up to all thats handing over some money and the web master...By the way thanks Rubicon... I'll keep some coins for you.. So Iam in for some start up cash and so is TH&G ..anyone else... My coin at hogwild will be for sale in 2 weeks [its the treasure map],so just remember I will sell some at events for club money at a cheaper price. Also did the NH geocoin [for my mother] and will have some of them also. Keep you guessing on what other coins I did. I so want to do the Wy geocoin and have it be done for the brown bag. No not the state coin which wyohunter did,the wy geocahers coin,with wy group name on one side and all the clubs listed on the other. But since we have no name yet,or not all the club names yet.......guess i can not... I should be able to get a good deal when the time comes. Lets try to get some of us together at WyoBigFish...CITO..in Laramie in April... Thanks to everyone here for all your help and input!!!!!! Kimba off track

I like wyogeo.com too, for a domain name. Catchy, simple. Easy to remember. Go for it!!

As far as a state group name: WYAG - Wyoming Area Geocachers (???)

The others mentioned were good too. Like KKTH3 said, something we can build a nice logo around.

Rubicon, we can make a donation to help set up a website too. Let us know what you need.

Isn't this exciting???? :rolleyes:

I would definitely be in for helping with funding for the state page as well as start up cash for the state organization. Rubiconwlb...if you could get me your address I will send along the start up for the web site. The "Camel Cachers" are slowly working on a club coin and I'm sure we would be willing to give some to a raffle to raise funds for the state org.

As for a name, I like rubiconwlb's YOGO = WYOGEO...actually, I'm not sure which you are suggesting, but I like them both :rolleyes:

2nd weekend in June Brown Bag - I know of at least 6 or 7 that will be there !

Wow, Leave for a week and look what happens! Glad to see all the input! I will put my coins(when they are created) into that bag as well. Lee, I agree with Todd, just do it. Lets get the main page set up then add the smaller groups later. wyogeo.com sounds great to me! I will be gone again for the next week but will try to sneak on here when I can and see what is up. This is starting to take shape! Thanks EVERYONE for your input. Keep spreading the word about this forum and let's get more involvement!

As for a name, I like rubiconwlb's YOGO = WYOGEO...actually, I'm not sure which you are suggesting, but I like them both ;)

OK, I'm not from Wyoming, although I've visited B) but I was curious what was going on over here.

Wow, y'all are really gathering momentum as a state group! Cool!

I like the name ideas, especially WYOGEO - easy to say, immediate ID with Wyoming when read. YOGO says "yoga" not "Wyoming" to me. ;) Unless you pronounce it, you don't get the connection. It's all about the WY. Maybe WYOGEO for the website, shortened to WYOG for org name?

OK, I'll leave now.... ;) Best wishes for a great state org!

Edited by hydnsek

As for a name, I like rubiconwlb's YOGO = WYOGEO...actually, I'm not sure which you are suggesting, but I like them both ;)

OK, I'm not from Wyoming, although I've visited B) but I was curious what was going on over here.

Wow, y'all are really gathering momentum as a state group! Cool!

I like the name ideas, especially WYOGEO - easy to say, immediate ID with Wyoming when read. YOGO says "yoga" not "Wyoming" to me. ;) Unless you pronounce it, you don't get the connection. It's all about the WY. Maybe WYOGEO for the website, shortened to WYOG for org name?

OK, I'll leave now.... ;) Best wishes for a great state org!

You don't have to be from Wyoming to give us your opinion. I think we are just testing the waters here to see what will work and what won't. I've been a little timid about actually going forward with purchasing a domain name and setting this up for fear that after I did that, a majority of the people would want to go another direction but I guess the consensus is that the website will be 'wyogeo.net' and that perhaps the organization name could be something like Wyoming Geocachers Network since there will be at least a couple regional groups associated with this website and a possible future state group. At any rate, we will start with a domain name and go from there. I'm still collecting donations for the startup costs so if you are willing to donate a little something, e-mail or PM me and I'll send you my address. Keep the comments coming.

Greetings all!! I am Gary from team5150 up here in Gillette. I just thought I would jump in here and say that we are excited to see a state group forming. Its great to see so many people getting involved with it. You can definitely count us in!!! We will help in any way that we can. We are organizing the next Camel Cachers Club meeting and should have it posted in the next few days. Let us know asap what the date, time, etc. will be and I will pass it along to the locals.

:) Hi, everyone! We have an official website and the domain is wyogeo.net. There is no content right now so if you go there, it is the entry page for my personal website. I wanted to test the FTP so uploaded this page since it was already created. Hopefully tonight, I will have time to get a very preliminary page started. Please send me information on your group, any planned events or anything else you want to have posted on the website. I am going to get a forum started so we can have discussions related to Wyoming geocaching. There will also be a guestbook so visitors can leave their feedback. Stay tuned!

P.S. Thanks to TH&G for their donation, it was greatly appreciated!

'Rubiconlwb'

:)

Edited by Rubiconlwb

Thanks Rubiconlwb.... My check is in the mail today. The North Platte River Geocachers have been working hard also..Thanks to the mmgestes,who are working on a page,email adress,etc.... I have a meeting with the chamber of commernce on friday. We will have a booth at jackalope days,june 2 in douglas. Thanks to everyone getting this going..Keep up the good work... Kim

WyoGeo.net is a reality! I got the website up and running (mostly, at least the entry page). Even though several of the links don't work, there is a guestbook and a forum so we can start using that forum as well to convey thoughts. Please note, you need to register before you can post (to eliminate spamming of the forum). I'll continue to work on it and get all the links working at least to take you to a page. I need content from the geocachers of Wyoming, especially those who have groups in the state. I got some info on the Northeast Wyo group so will get that online this weekend. Let me know what you think, what you would like to see added, what works, what doesn't. But most importantly, participate! This will be a very boring site if we don't use it. I will post any activity, event, meeting or get-together you have. Please send me photos so I can get them online. I think we all would like to know what the others we are reading about look like. This has been a lot of work so far and will continue to be so but I am hopeful it will be a useful service and a catalyst to get a statewide group going. At least now we have a place to meet and discuss the options.

http://www.wyogeo.net

Edited to add URL.

Edited by Rubiconlwb