Wyoming caching

wyohunter

Well that is north east of me but that is OK. I am down in Lyman. I have no idea what we would need to do to get this started. But I am more then willing to give it a go. Should we see how many would join first? My posts in here have not got much attention so I am not sure how to get this started. Does anyone have any suggestions? I notice the WA groups seem to sign in a lot, maybe one of those founders could help? :D

That might be a ggod way to get it started. We are having a get together down here in Green River but there is only room for about 30. I didn't put that together but maybe I could talk all who attend and then see if we can set up something more central. I know that Rubiconlwb has had a brown bag event. Maybe we could get some ideas from him?

Maybe something along the lines of Glendo State Park or soemtihng like that. It is kind of far from the Casper area but we might get some to come down. There is also a very active group putting together something in the Black Hills area that we might want to contact.

RonGerth

Douglas WY

I agree with Kimba, we need input. He is already putting up a lot, I am going to see if South pass has a place we can meet maybe in May (Don't hold me to this), but more input from the Wyoming cachers would be appreciated! I am going to get more coins for prizs between now and then but would like some help. :lol:

OK. Time to email those that I know. Maybe then we can get some input. Kim, I was wondering if you still have that idea about that coin. I might change the front and back if you want to share this. I believe we should have a lot of other opinions about it so I will send out what I sent you last night and see how well it goes. I will include you in the emails then maybe we can announce here (the forums)later?

We don't often check this forum - seems to get overwhelmed by the WA folks at times and the WY posts are usually few and far between. As far as WY geocaching organizations, the only one I am aware of that is truely active anymore is the Camel Caching Club in Gilette. The Expeditioners and ourselves had talked about trying to get something organized this past fall and were going to bring it up at an event in Casper that we were expecting to come up (but never did, apparently.) Anyway, this time of year never is a good one for us to be very active in caching, but by April or so its likely that we can help out organizing a geocaching event. If someone else is able to kick something off prior to that, then at least we will make an effort to attend.

I guess we will have to keep checking back to this thread every week or so to not miss out on these things.

OK two questions. First, The Expeditioners? is that a group or a cacher? Second, if I got an event set for May at South Pass, d you think those that you know would attend? Or Possibly help?

The Expeditioners is a caching family out of Casper. As for an even at South Pass, we would have to wait until a little closer to May before knowing exactly how much we would be able to devote to it. Our schedule changes rapidly and often we have limited time to organize out leisure activities when our weekend.

I just checked this forum on a whim, and look what I found. I'm getting ready to post an event in the next couple days, just working out the details. But it will be a Saturday event. That way if anyone travels any distance, they could stay the night and have Sunday to drive back. I will keep posting on this thread. I would love to help in any way that I can in starting a Wyoming group!!!!

Well good to see people are reading this. WYlostinMA can you let me know asap when your event is. Some of us are planning are BIG one in Doulgas around the 1st weekend in june. At some point I hope to mint coins for it with a group name. Any chance we could get a large group going with casper,douglas and lusk. How about it KKTH3 are you in? Any one who post here please say if you want to join a group and lets try to get a name and a large group going. We could have events in casper and douglas. Sorry wyohunter greenriver is alittle to far for me. Are you guys going to make a group? Is your coin to the mint yet. Do we get a wy discount. Just kidding.. We are done with the NH geocachers coin and its off to mint,as well as the map and 3 others. I'll send you the art of it,came out really sweet. So wy cachers let get on the ball and form a group,trade coins,eat and be merry together. And please spread the word in our caching area,the more the merrier...You can email me anytime..will help with any events in our area..Please I feel like the only geo nut in Douglas and want to meet the rest of you.. So lets make this group thing happen please..Thanks kimba off track..kimba_03753@yahoo.com

Guess a state group is out? I thought we might have that one in Central Wyoming but I can't seem to get anyone near South Pass. The new state coin is going great. I think the artwork is just about done, if they would reply to my emails I could it started faster. Anyway, We are going to get a group here I guess. That was determined at the Brunch. It wsa good to have some from your area down here.

I was just made aware of this thread and we would be interested in joining a group of some type. My wife and I attended the brunch last weekend in Green River and had a good time. As I indicated to everybody I talked to there, we are planning on having our 2nd Annual Rawlins Brownbag Event either the 2nd or 3rd Saturday of June here in Rawlins. Since we are pretty central to Lyman and Douglas, maybe it would be a good spot to discuss this group further. We are ready to go to any event that is less than 200 miles distance so keep us posted on this thread. I'll subscribe to it now so we can keep informed about what is going on. I spend most of my time on the geocoin forum. I know a few people here in Rawlins that are just getting started so I can mention this idea to them and see if they are interested. I'll be watching and if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Hello all,

Here are some of the ideas that I have in my head about a group, most of these ideas are from when I lived in MA, and had the chance to see what groups there are doing.

1. Come up with a name for the group. So, let's hear those ideas! Mine is "WAG" Wyoming Area Geocachers!

2. Someone to design, maintain a possible web site. And also if anyone has a server to do this on.

3. Organize an event once a month. That way, hopefully, everyone gets a chance to attend an event every other month or so.

So, let me know what everyone thinks. Kim, give me a call when you get a chance and we can talk about getting this all started.

I have designed several websites and could arrange for a domain name and hosting for about $60.00 a year. So I will volunteer to get the website off the ground once we have the necessary funds together. For an idea of what I have done, you can click on the link below to see my personal website. If we get a group together, I think we should charge a small membership fee (say $5 per year to pay for the website and other expenses) once we get the group organized. I'm not sure monthly meetings is a good idea but that would be up to the members to decide. If it were every month, it may interfere with people like myself trying to have an event with a good turnout. These are just a few of my thoughts, take them for what they are worth.

My website: http://www.imrubicon.com

Edit: forgot the URL

Edited by Rubiconlwb

Hey there.

I met with Kim today and she told me about this thread and I had to check it out.

We discussed the upcoming event and threw around some group names. Also talked about some things for a coin design. I think we had some good ideas! I will let her report on what we came up with since this his kind of her "baby". I think that Rubicon had a good idea about charging a small membership fee and if he wants to do the tech part for the group....have at it! <_< I think having a listserve for email would make things easy too...make contacting members a lot quicker and easier. Lee, can you do that too?

I think with what we are planning this event is going to be great. We just need to get the word out. It will be posted in plenty of time for cachers to see and plan for. It will be worth the drive to Douglas for all who come.

I think with what we are planning this event is going to be great. We just need to get the word out. It will be posted in plenty of time for cachers to see and plan for. It will be worth the drive to Douglas for all who come.

Is this in Douglas or Rawlins? I thought Lees annual brown bag event would be it?

Yes, I agree that quarterly or every 4 months would be much better, especially considering that at best we will be anywhere from 125 to 200 miles from the location of the event. Any more often than that would be very prohibitive financially and I think we would burn out quickly. We can interact using the website and the GC forum but get togehter every few months. Michelle, you said something about a list server but I am unfamiliar with that term (I don't know what it is). Explain to me what that is an I'll let you know if I have the capabilities or the website would have the capability to do that. Included with the cost of the domain hosting is 100 e-mail addresses, I believe as well as a website blog. Kind of cool! Another thing we have to decide is what the domain name should be. I'll have to get it reserved as soon as possible so somebody else doesn't grab it first. These are just a couple more things that fell out of my brain while I was sitting here at my laptop. We went to Laramie today just for the drive and to get over the 300 cache mark. That ended up being pretty hard to do since we have almost all the caches there and it was a tough day since we only found 3 of the 6 caches we tried.

Kim and I planned an event for Douglas. I emailed Lee and asked when his event would be. They will be really close. If our event is the same day or even the next weekend we can probably reschedule a week or so. The thing is, we are pretty adamant about wanting to do something, ourselves, sometime in June. We can go to Rawlins AND have an event in Douglas too. Yes?

Would you be opposed to making two trips back this way so close together? Maybe Kim will see these posts and comment sometime soon. I will be in contact with her by phone and email too. We will get it figured out.

As of now, we are planning our own event in Douglas in addition to the event in Rawlins.

I am probably not going to be able to explain the list serve to you very well. I know that the black hills geocaching group has one. They have a group site thru yahoo.com Whenever you send an email, everyone who is a member gets the email. They have a forum type setup similar to this where you can ask questions, make comments, and send notes. They have a moderator. This group is very active and we would like to go to one of their events sometime in the future. Any time they send out a notice concerning an event it goes out to anyone who has signed up as a member of their group. Right before an event they have an automatic reminder that goes out, thru email, reminding members of the event, when and where it is going to be held at. Kind of a nice thing. Mike thought that this service was all free. Might be worth checking into. You could contact the moderator at black hills geocaching for more information. Or go to Yahoo and check it out.

The list server idea is a specialized thing, most likely where each person has to join the group and then yahoo manages it so that every e-mail goes to everybody in the group. I don't have that capability and I'm sure the hosting service doesn't either. As for sending a single e-mail to everybody, that is easy, you just set up a group in your e-mail program. Then you write an e-mail and select that group and that particular e-mail is sent to everybody in the group you set up. The problem is that when somebody responds, the response is not automatically sent to everybody in the group. I can set up a forum on the website for free which is just like this one where a moderator can be set up. I can also set up a guestbook where people who visit the site can leave their comments. All this is possible, it just takes time to set up. I'll have time to work on this until it warms up but after about May, I will be very busy geocaching and doing yard work and fishing and all the other stuff we in Wyoming love to do. So if we are going to do a website, we need to get started as soon as we can. I will concentrate on the website if that is what we decide to do and let the rest of you iron out the details. If the website is not important to the majority, I'll help wherever else I can. If you are dead set about having your own event either on the same weekend as my event or a week before or after, I fear that it will split those willing to participate in two as probably many won't be able to make a road trip two weekends in a row.

I just found out about this from WylostinMA. It sounds like a great idea. I will have to keep checking back on this thread to keep up with what is going on. As far as the monthly meetings go, we found out in an Anthropological group we belong to that we could only have monthly meetings during the late fall through early spring. People had more time on their hands then than during the summer months. We did most all field research in the fall and spring. Usually after the first few months, especially after Christmas, the attendance started falling off every month until our field outing in May, which was our last meeting until next September. During the field outing everyone would bring a dish of something, or their own meal, whichever was decided on before, and do our field research, then eat and have our last meeting there in the field. It was pretty neat. Having an annual fee (or dues) isn't a bad idea either, that way there is money for things like the server,maintaining the web site, etc, etc. As far as having events or meetings, online meetings might be better, as it is a long ways between points up here, and it could get cost prohibitive for some of us to travel very far, very many times, and could result in "burnout". I work 12 hour shifts, and don't have a lot of free time, so I usually plan ahead a week or two in advance as to what I am going be doing on my little time off. You have a great idea going here, so keep me posted and let me know what kind of input we can give you. We would like to help if possible. <_<

Hi everyone!

I think starting this group is a great idea. I have been wanting to start/join a group in this area since I started geocaching. So you can count me in! I'll help out any way I can. I can/have set up websites and forums which I ran and maintaned.So I can help in that area if needed.
<_<
just let me know whats going on.

Wow, you can tell spring is coming! Ok many things to think about. For example... one group called WY State Geocachers (or whatever we agree upon) and that would be our main group. Then we have smaller sub groups? The Wy state group would be represented by the sub-groups and all would come together on a WY state Cacher home page on the net. On this page, there could be a community calander that would show ALL events, and have an agreement of sorts that keeps events from being scheduled on the same weekend? It could have emails to contact sub-group parties/links. The sub groups have 2 chair people and all the sub group chairs make up the board of one big group (being the WY state Cachers)? The main point here is to organize wy caching and area people to get together, right? That way, all areas would be included, several small events, but the reps from each area could agree on one BIG event that we could all support. The goal is to please everyone (or as many people as possible). These are just some random thoughts. Our biggest problem is the distance and I think the sub groups address that. So its your turn now... Would like input from as many areas and existing groups as possible. As a side note, I have met with mmgestes from Lusk and we would like to start our group in this area and call it North Platte River Cachers (would like to see the North Platte River Cachers a fairly large group that would include Lusk, Douglas, Casper, and anyone else that wants to join).

One last thought...

I realize that several of us in the caching community have "heartburn" about other cachers for one reason or another. I see this coming together as a way of taking the high road. Let's not be short sighted because of our views about others. Let's view this as a chance to clear the past and educate our fellow cachers about proper manners/ethics, but mostly to have a great time and and build the best memories possible.

I lift my glass to the possiblities of great things to come in the state of Wyoming Geocaching!!!!!

Insert your feedback now and lets get this show going!

Kim, I agree with the regional groups and then one state group. I think we should still plan on the Brown bag event to discuss the state group. Lee, let me know if you want any extra help with that. The GEO COW might work since most the state raises them. Maybe we can take all the suggestions that are posted here and put them up for a vote at that event? The new coin is only one step away form getting approved. The last artwork I sent out was pretty well received so as soon as Sara(Oakcoins) returns I should the last change on there and will send it out. I will post the final artwork on the Geocoin forum where I started the thread.

Over the past two days, I've had a good e-mail discussion with mmgestes and I have realized a couple things that I have been a little rigid about. I'm going to go with the flow more and let go of some hard feelings (some of you know what I am talking about). All I know for sure is I am ready to be part of at least one geocaching group (or more) and we will participate when we can and help out when we can. We will most definitely enjoy the company of the fine people we have met through geocaching. We are tentatively planning our 2nd Annual Rawlins Brownbag Event for June 9th (as much as one can considering it is 4 months away) and anybody who wants to come will be welcomed with open arms. If there is another event the same day or on a consecutive weekend, I hope you have a wonderful time and a great turnout. The only reason we thought about this day is for consistency since we had our event last year on the 2nd Saturday of June. 'Nuff said! Thanks Michelle!

Edit: Spelling & typing error.

Edited by Rubiconlwb