What to put into a geocache

mrjester

Hello

I will be hiding by first geo cache next month and would like some advise on what to put into the cache. I plan on using a tuper made sandwhich container. So far what I am planning on putting in it is some sort of log book. Im thinking a little notepad but not sure and advise on that would also be useful. I will also be adding a couple of small pencils.

From there I am not sure what else to add besides the $50.00 gift card that I will be adding which will be gone right after TFTF gets it. So I am wondering what else I can add. I am thinking of getting some GEO Coins made up because it sounds like a lot of geo cachers like them. Any advise on a good place to get those made up would be great too. Im thinking about putting my logo fishing the beartooths and website on the coins and would like to get them done in color if it does not cost too much.

Besides the above what else are neat things that I can add to the cache? Also, how often do you go back and check the logs inside the cache? How long does someone usually leave the cache?

Any advise in helping with my first hide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mrjester

Edited by mrjester

Tupper made is not so good, go to your local army surplus store and get a ammo can.

Moleskin makes a really nice book, be shure to place it in a ziplock baggie so if the ammo can leaks it dosen't get wet. Make shure that you note that the 50.00 gift card is marked for "FTF only, no trade neccary" Coins are quite expensive and are best sold rather than given away. Check out the "Geocoins" thread for more info on that. If you leave anything with a value in, make shure that the cache is well hidden. This is a very good site for little toys in the cache. After a month or two I go back and check the logs and the state of the cache. Don't forget the stash note! Find that at the "Hide and seek" page of the geocaching website. If you really want a coin here are two sites Coins And Pins

Oak Coins

If you want the coin to be trackable you must order at least 250.

Thats about it

--Nickzeke

I thought I recognized the "sort of" advertisement of his website. Moderator has already removed those posts - I don't believe this one will last either when the moderator views this one.

NO NO NO... I am complying with all the rules and am NOT advertising anything. I am going to be doing my FIRST hide and was asking advise. Ive already talked to a moderator via email and they said as long as I do NOT link my website or try to get people to go to my website then I was fine.

Again I am only asking for adivse on my FIRST hide that I will be doing. Just trying to learn how to hide my first hide and participate on this site without violating ANY rules.

Mrjester

Thanks for the advise nickzeke I appreciate it. dont think gift card will fit into a film canister though.

I plan on going out and trying to find some caches but will probably legitametely be hiding most all of them. I spend a lot of time fishing and hiking and thought it would be a lot of fun to hide caches on my hikes. I am not advertising anything and will be legitmately hiding the caches.

The email I got from Groundspeak is from Eric and he stated again, I can give away anything I want including money (gift cards) if I wanted as long as I did not post my website anywhere which I will not.

Thanks again nickzeke I appreciate your help. Hopefully I will be able to hide my first cache and it wont be too bad.

Mrjester

I've just hidden a cache, that honestly isn't too spectacular, and I will never claim it as one of my best.

It has better stuff in it than most, but I don't think that is what geocachers are looking for. If it takes a $50 gift card to get someone to visit your cache, we are all in a sorry state.

Take people to a spot you love. A local spot, that not everyone from out of town is going to know about. Show them the sunrise, or sunset, or the rippling water in a pond. Don't think you have to be material to attract anyone.

And, yep, find some caches before you hide some. Otherwise, you're just whistling in the dark. Or less.

I thought I recognized the "sort of" advertisement of his website. Moderator has already removed those posts - I don't believe this one will last either when the moderator views this one.

NO NO NO... I am complying with all the rules and am NOT advertising anything. I am going to be doing my FIRST hide and was asking advise. Ive already talked to a moderator via email and they said as long as I do NOT link my website or try to get people to go to my website then I was fine.

Again I am only asking for adivse on my FIRST hide that I will be doing. Just trying to learn how to hide my first hide and participate on this site without violating ANY rules.

Mrjester

OK. In all fairness - my post was a bit harsh. If you are getting ready to hide your first cache, it is a great idea to at least participate in finding caches first. It does seem really odd that someone would want to go out and hide a new geocache without ever having found any. Kind of like wanting to put on a concert and asking advice about making music without ever having heard a song.

OK. In all fairness - my post was a bit harsh. If you are getting ready to hide your first cache, it is a great idea to at least participate in finding caches first. It does seem really odd that someone would want to go out and hide a new geocache without ever having found any. Kind of like wanting to put on a concert and asking advice about making music without ever having heard a song.

Thanks

I am being very honest in wanting to hide cache and also participate on this site. I am backpacking and hiking in the mountains almost every weekend from March-November. I am a BIG time hiker, fisherman, camper. I live in the outdoors in the summer. I thought it would be very fun to hide a cache in some of the spots that I camp at.

I think its odd that people think I am wierd for wanting to hide a cache. To me its liking hiding a treasure and seeing if people can find it. To me that sounds like fun and since Ill be hiking in an area anyway with my GPS I thought it would be fun to hide one and see how many people find it.

If it does not involve fishing then I am usually not up to it. I dont know how many caches I would ever really go looking for unless it happend to be in an area that I am camping or fishing with my kids.

I suppose that a lot of people who dont know anything about geocache at all would think its wierd for both people hiding them and also people going looking for them.

Does that make sense at all? I suppose black beard hid his treasure so that he could go back later and get it. Kind of funny how people still today are looking for lost treasure.

Mrjester

Puppers, you might want to look at this search.

Dwoodford, How can you get away with putting in a link to the observer??? If I were to close my post with my name and signature line with a link to my website I would get in trouble. hmmm double standard.

The Observer is a student newspaper, not a business. No profit is made from it, and I am not paid for my work done for the Observer. More over, I am not promoting commercial geocaching with it.

Edited by Dwoodford

If you are getting ready to hide your first cache, it is a great idea to at least participate in finding caches first. It does seem really odd that someone would want to go out and hide a new geocache without ever having found any. Kind of like wanting to put on a concert and asking advice about making music without ever having heard a song.

Adding another voice to the choir... please find some caches before you place one of your own! Every cache I've found that was placed by someone who hadn't found any caches, has had so many problems! I'm not saying that any caches you place will have problems but if you want people to enjoy finding your caches, that will serve you much better than worrying about what to put in them. A little experience will help you choose a good container, hide it so it's less likely to get stolen, compose hints that are useful to searchers, and get a better idea of what is truly fun to find.

For example, one of our local cachers hid his first cache in a large area that was completely choked with ivy. He hadn't yet learned how to average his coordinates to make them more accurate, so they were some distance from where his cache actually was. His hint was "in the ivy", which was completely useless as it described everything within a radius of several hundred feet. It was very frustrating to hunt for. Later, after he had found more caches, he discovered that he hated hunting for caches in ivy and understood why people weren't having a good time searching for his cache. He has since gone on to hide many more nice caches that are fun to find.

You'll be short-changing yourself too, by not getting out there and finding some caches first. Hunting for caches is fun and you're missing out on that! <_<

If it does not involve fishing then I am usually not up to it. I don't know how many caches I would ever really go looking for unless it happend to be in an area that I am camping or fishing with my kids.

Check around where you like to camp and fish and you will likely be pleasantly surprised. <_< Caches are everywhere now and there will probably be one or more to find wherever you go. Your kids will have a terrific time hunting for them with you.

Thanks for the advise Pandora. There are sooo many that keep on saying to go looking for a cache first that I have to trust what they are saying. I think Ill look into some local caches and try to find some. This time of year is very boring for me and hiking isnt for another couple of months. Looks like I now have something fun to do!

Dwoodford, nothing personal it just made me a little mad that I came onto the site to seek legitamate advise and right away I was attacked like a shark. Ill admit that the last time I linked my site and was warned. I would really like to get into this geocaching and will play by the rules. I suppose a lot of people come on spamming but that is not my attention. Just a FYI my site is also not a commercial geocache site! I dont want to and dont plan on it. My site is about the outdoors and provides info on area hikes and lakes in the area for FREE. Sure I have some google adsense on my site and some other ways to help support the site but in NO WAY could it be considered a commercial geocaching site. One last note... You dont have to sell anything to benefit from haveing your link on this site. Geocaching has a rank of 7. Thus if your link is on this site it helps your ranking. Having more hits to your site or any site is rewarding within itself. I would love to be able to put my site here even just as a signature... whats good for the goose should be good for the gander!!!

Well off to research some caches in my area to see if there are any I can try to find.

Mrjester

Edited by mrjester

Thanks for the advise Pandora. There are sooo many that keep on saying to go looking for a cache first that I have to trust what they are saying. I think Ill look into some local caches and try to find some. This time of year is very boring for me and hiking isnt for another couple of months. Looks like I now have something fun to do!

Mrjester

Welcome to the addiction! <_<

If you are getting ready to hide your first cache, it is a great idea to at least participate in finding caches first. It does seem really odd that someone would want to go out and hide a new geocache without ever having found any. Kind of like wanting to put on a concert and asking advice about making music without ever having heard a song.

Adding another voice to the choir... please find some caches before you place one of your own! Every cache I've found that was placed by someone who hadn't found any caches, has had so many problems! I'm not saying that any caches you place will have problems but if you want people to enjoy finding your caches, that will serve you much better than worrying about what to put in them. A little experience will help you choose a good container, hide it so it's less likely to get stolen, compose hints that are useful to searchers, and get a better idea of what is truly fun to find.

For example, one of our local cachers hid his first cache in a large area that was completely choked with ivy. He hadn't yet learned how to average his coordinates to make them more accurate, so they were some distance from where his cache actually was. His hint was "in the ivy", which was completely useless as it described everything within a radius of several hundred feet. It was very frustrating to hunt for. Later, after he had found more caches, he discovered that he hated hunting for caches in ivy and understood why people weren't having a good time searching for his cache. He has since gone on to hide many more nice caches that are fun to find.

You'll be short-changing yourself too, by not getting out there and finding some caches first. Hunting for caches is fun and you're missing out on that! <_<

One other advantage to hunting caches: you just might find some new place to hike/hunt/fish/camp!