Help with Downloading Cache Hints.

onewoman

Hi there,

Pretty new to the geocaching experience and I seem to be one of the multitudes that grabbed an Explorist 500 for Christmas.

I have successfuly downloaded local caches onto the GPS and I have Mapsend Topo on an SD card working on the unit. I seem to be missing the cache hints though.

When I select a cache on the GPS there is a hints tab to go to but it seems to be blank and I can't seem to find where I can edit it to add the hint.

Can anyone help me with this. I have tried searching the forums for this one but can't find where it has come up before.

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi there,

Pretty new to the geocaching experience and I seem to be one of the multitudes that grabbed an Explorist 500 for Christmas.

I have successfuly downloaded local caches onto the GPS and I have Mapsend Topo on an SD card working on the unit. I seem to be missing the cache hints though.

When I select a cache on the GPS there is a hints tab to go to but it seems to be blank and I can't seem to find where I can edit it to add the hint.

Can anyone help me with this. I have tried searching the forums for this one but can't find where it has come up before.

Thank you,

Sarah

If you are not a premium member, the file type that you are downloading is a .LOC. This file type does not contain the hints. If you do become a premium member, then you can optionally download the .gpx file type. This type contains the hint, difficulty, terrain, etc. that the LOC does not. Some applications geocachers use do not transfer that data as well. I know my old eXplorist 210 came with geocache manager and it worked fine.

Happy caching,

JTA

Hi there,

Thank you,

Sarah

If you are not a premium member, the file type that you are downloading is a .LOC. This file type does not contain the hints. If you do become a premium member, then you can optionally download the .gpx file type. This type contains the hint, difficulty, terrain, etc. that the LOC does not. Some applications geocachers use do not transfer that data as well. I know my old eXplorist 210 came with geocache manager and it worked fine.

Happy caching,

JTA

Ahh... Thank you, that makes sense.

It is one of the best investements EVER to become a premium member. $3/month or $30/year. Do it. You won't be sorry.

HOLY CRAP,

Your signature line just gave me total flash backs. Zork! Our family used to play that on the Commodore 64 together. Thanks for that. :laughing:

Happy caching,

JTA

Hi! I'm new too, and I got a premium membership, but I can't figure out how to download a bunch of waypoints at once as a .gpx file. It keeps coming in as a .loc file, with no option to change the file type. How can I change this?

TFTI

(Thanks for the info) :laughing:

xAL1ENx

Happy caching,

JTA

Hi! I'm new too, and I got a premium membership, but I can't figure out how to download a bunch of waypoints at once as a .gpx file. It keeps coming in as a .loc file, with no option to change the file type. How can I change this?

TFTI

(Thanks for the info) :laughing:

xAL1ENx

On the main page go tothe left side and click on my account, when you get to that page on the right side you'll see a list click on build Pocket Queries.

Make sure yor files are downloaded as gpx files not loc.