Multi-cache Ethics

LCAS-271

I placed a 2-stage multi a few months ago and I think i might have made it a little too easy. The 1st stage is an evil micro that I made with the final being a Camoed lock & lock about 90 ft away. The area is a small rest area along US 50 that is the perfect place for a cache.

The problem is that the final is being found without the coords from the 1st stage. I'd like to move the final to another area in the same rest area to make finding the 1st stage necessary. Is it considered "Ethical" to move a final stage after it was already been found. The cache is GCYH4R.

LCAS-271

I placed a 2-stage multi a few months ago and I think i might have made it a little too easy. The 1st stage is an evil micro that I made with the final being a Camoed lock & lock about 90 ft away. The area is a small rest area along US 50 that is the perfect place for a cache.

The problem is that the final is being found without the coords from the 1st stage. I'd like to move the final to another area in the same rest area to make finding the 1st stage necessary. Is it considered "Ethical" to move a final stage after it was already been found. The cache is GCYH4R.

LCAS-271

I agree, the final is a bit too close to stage 1, I go into "ground zero searching mode" when my GPSr is in that range and often put it away within 25 feet.

I would archive the cache and start over to be fair to your previous finders.

Edited by Bill & Tammy

That's why caches, and stages of a multi, should be 528 feet apart.

Speaking as someone who just had a 3-stage multi approved, stages of a multi do not need to be 528 feet apart. All stages of a single multi cache need to be 528' from any waypoints or stages of any other cache. They can be closer than that within a single multi. However, the reviewer said that stages of a single multi *should* be at least 100' apart to account for GPS errors, so that a person looking for one won't find the other.

I would move the final stage as long as you're maintaining the same cache, I wouldn't see any reason to archive and start over.

-eP

Edited by ePeterso2

If you're not going to move the start micro, and you're only going to shift the final far enough to prevent accidental finds, I'd go with just a shift of the final, and NOT archive and start over.

You actually have the option to do either, and as this thread demonstrates, there's no agreement. You've got some folks saying archive and start afresh and others saying just move the final.

If it were near me, I'd prefer NOT to see it as a new cache, if it's pretty much in the same place (the first stage) and all in the same rest area. I guess it depends on how far you shift that final...

I don't see a need to list it as a new cache. Just move the final. You don't have to be .1 miles away but in my opinion 90 feet is way to close. Ecspecially if the first stage is very small and hard to find. When cachers don't find a stage they typically expand there search area. 90 feet is a bit close. 200 or 300 feet should be plenty in my opinion.

another thing to consider is that occasionly when a cacher can not find a stage they may start looking for other stages in the obvious places. Old stumps or downed trees etc. So when we hide a multi with a tricky or otherwise hard to find stage we try to make the next stage or stages less obvious so people cannot skip stages if they get stuck.

LCAS-271

I agree, the final is a bit too close to stage 1, I go into "ground zero searching mode" when my GPSr is in that range and often put it away within 25 feet.

I would archive the cache and start over to be fair to your previous finders.

I like this idea

Stages of the same cache do not need to be 528' from one another. They just need to be that far apart from any stage of any other cache.

I would shift the final stage further away from stage one, and edit the cache page and coords in the stage 1 container. It's not going to be that much of a new experience is it? :(