Your 'United For Diabetes' Activation Code

BlueDeuce

As this is a gc.com sponsored promotion the travel bug is already activated. You just 'grab' the bug to put it into your inventory.

Simply access this page

http://www.geocaching.com/track/

Enter in the tracking code printed on the tag. Access the bug page and under type of log select “Grab it” to put it into your inventory.

If you are having trouble logging it, first make sure that the 0s are not Os and the Is are not 1s. If that doesn't work for you, send an email with both the tracking number on the tag, and the TB number on the page (if you have it) to contact@Groundspeak.com and put "U4D TB tracking# problem" as your subject line.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I just received my Diabetes TB today. Trying to figure out how to do this TB, it's my first one and I want to make sure we do it correctly! LOL! Been searching on the Geocaching site all day and finally found this info about the Diabetes TB's in the Groundspeak Forums; I followed your instructions, entered the "tracking #" and clicked "Grab it from somwhere else" from the drop-down box. I guess the next step is to place the TB in a cache, we are going out for our first GC adventure this weekend. Please let me know if I have done this right so far, the tracking # in my TB is (*EDITED*), what happens after we place the TB??

:D Forgive me....Extreme Newbie here, (but very excited to go Geocaching with the family this weekend!!)

ANY first time GC/TB tips would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Edited by WarEagles1

Thank you so much for your reply Bluedeuce! We purchased an Etrex Legend, it should be here tomorrow, I have my backpack full of things to leave in the caches we will hopefully find, and we are ready to go! My 8 yr. old son can't wait!! (ok me either, LOL!!) I am continuing to research on the GC site for all the info on GC'ing that I can find....can't wait 'til this weekend! NO RAIN! NO RAIN!! LOL!

A. I love the Legend. Good choice.

B. Rain? Ah newbies. :D Up here in Iowa I take out new cachers and they'll usually say, "Well, I guess you can't cache during winter."

I just stand here and shake my head.

High summer is the worst time to cache. Heat, bugs and bad reception! Cold, rainy weather means no muggles on the trail!

:D

What nickzeke is trying to say is never post the number on the metal tag in your logs or in a photo. Someone will try to move it all around the world virtually, without ever seeing the TB. Use the number given near the top of the TB page for referring to it.

If this ever happens to one of your bugs, feel free to delete or edit it out. Virtual logging gets bugs/coins locked, since it is considered abuse of the geocaching.com system.

Edited by Eartha

place the Travel Bug into the cache of your choice! If you need assistance doing so, here are some steps that should help you...

--. Visit the page for the geocache you found.

--. In the top-right corner of the page, click 'log your visit'.

--. From the 'Type of log' drop-down menu, select 'Found it', or write note if it is a duplicate log.

--. At the bottom of this page -- you should have choices regarding bugs and other trackable items.

--. Select any trackable items that you dropped off in the cache with your find.

--. Click 'Submit log entry'.

place the Travel Bug into the cache of your choice! If you need assistance doing so, here are some steps that should help you...

--. Visit the page for the geocache you found.

--. In the top-right corner of the page, click 'log your visit'.

--. From the 'Type of log' drop-down menu, select 'Found it', or write note if it is a duplicate log.

--. At the bottom of this page -- you should have choices regarding bugs and other trackable items.

--. Select any trackable items that you dropped off in the cache with your find.

--. Click 'Submit log entry'.

I had a question regaurding United for Diabetes TB's.Does the TB come with a pre-set Goal?i got mine in the mail (actually it came a week ago and i didnt notice it until now) and when i entered its number it already has a goal set up.

Sorry if its an uber newb question but i couldnt find any info reguarding it.

thanks

Ok, call me dense, I received my U4D travel bug. Now, any ideas on how to activate it.... Any help would be nice. We tried on the travel bug page, but it keeps asking for a activation code. what activation code.... :)

As this is a gc.com sponsored promotion the travel bug is already activated. You just 'grab' the bug to put it into your inventory.

Simply access this page

Enter in the tracking code printed on the tag. Access the bug page and under type of log select “Grab it” to put it into your inventory.

If you are having trouble logging it, first make sure that the 0s are not Os and the Is are not 1s. If that doesn't work for you, send an email with both the tracking number on the tag, and the TB number on the page (if you have it) to contact@Groundspeak.com and put "U4D TB tracking# problem" as your subject line.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ok, call me dense, I received my U4D travel bug. Now, any ideas on how to activate it.... Any help would be nice. We tried on the travel bug page, but it keeps asking for a activation code. what activation code.... :)

Simply access this page

I entered the tracking number on the TB that was sent to me, and it comes up as being in someone elses hands from a far away cache..

uh oh. Did you receive this traveler in the mail from gc.com? Or did you find it in a cache?

got it in the mail from gc.com

Well, either you are entering the wrong tracking number, or someone managed to grab away the wrong bug, or gc.com issued another tag with the same number. Considering that this bug has done some traveling...hmmm, well grabbing it away isn't going to help.

I'm going to turn this over Eartha.

In all honesty let's hope you are entering the wrong number, that way it can be easily fixed and you get a UFD to start out.

Check for things like 0 vs O, 1 vs L etc.

Sorry if I'm sounding rude, the alternative could mean you don't have a workable bug. I'd rather get that one in your hands and on the move.

uh oh. Did you receive this traveler in the mail from gc.com? Or did you find it in a cache?

Well, either you are entering the wrong tracking number, or someone managed to grab away the wrong bug, or gc.com issued another tag with the same number. Considering that this bug has done some traveling...hmmm, well grabbing it away isn't going to help.

In all honesty let's hope you are entering the wrong number, that way it can be easily fixed and you get a UFD to start out.

Sorry if I'm sounding rude, the alternative could mean you don't have a workable bug. I'd rather get that one in your hands and on the move.

No, not sounding rude at all, There is only one number in the bug and that is a 6. No "o or 0 " either.. I am stumped....

No, not sounding rude at all, There is only one number in the bug and that is a 6. No "o or 0 " either.. I am stumped....

When we originally received the bug, about a month ago, it said to activate the bug on the GC.com bug site. We never go around to doing it until now....OOOOps....

When we originally received the bug, about a month ago, it said to activate the bug on the GC.com bug site. We never go around to doing it until now....OOOOps....

That's okay. The problem is your bug ain't matching up right.

I'll send Eartha a note to see if she wants to look into it herself or send you on to the Emerald Castle. (Aka gc.com) She'll probably need the actual tracking number for verification but don't post it here.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Team MysticAngel,

You will need to send and email to contact@Groundspeak.com and explain everything to them. It's possible that two tags got printed with the same number. Could you PM me the number that is on the metal tag, so I could check it one more time from here? The U4D bugs are already activated, all you needed to do was 'grab' it, you shouldn't have had to activate it.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

No, the U4D TB's are owned by the Unite For Diabetes Foundation, and cannot be adopted, however, you can click on the link to Watch This Travel Bug on the right hand side of the TB page and you will be sent an email notification everytime the travel bug is moved. Here is an alphabetical list of the U4D TBs, pick one that may come close to you and watch it go.

Hi, please do not post tracking numbers online (forum or cache page). The bug could be moved around improperly. If you look on the bug page you'll see, 'Use TB1C2YW to reference this item.'

It looks like you need to log the bug out of the cache before you drop it into the next one.

<_<

Simply access this page

<_<

Simply access this page

Just wanted to say thanks. This was very helpful. Ahsolbuddy

Thanks.

Eartha posted this in another similar thread.

I tried an experiment. I started posting a note on all of the U4D's that hadn't been logged yet, as a Groundspeak Volunteer. I found out that about 40% of them were not logged yet. I put a watch on all the ones I posted a note a note to, and that was a lot, since I'd gotten only to the C's (I was going through them alphabetically). Some of them have been logged, but I hardly made a dent. Then I found out they were also offered on another website for the Diabetes Foundation, to non-cachers. A lot of them were not logged, because they didn't know how. A lot were then logged incorrectly, and there's no way to know for sure where they are now. Some were missing from muggled caches, and I marked them missing. I noticed another reason some had moved yet, is that some people don't/won't cache in winter and they were released in winter (in some parts of the world). Every day I knock another one, or more, off my watch list, because someone logged it, but the list is still very long, and I don't think I could ever finish posting notes on them. My mailbox has been overwhelmed, I can tell you that! So, I will have to say, no, there is no way they'll all ever be released, which is probably why they sent out so many. There were 20,000 mailed out. If my rough guesstimate is close, that means 12,000 should be moving. That's still a lot, and you should see one soon, remember they are all aiming in different directions.

What has happened to many of the Travel Bugs?, I placed about 7 or 8 on my watchlist and they haven't moved at all, have people just kept them or never received them, anyone know the answer?

I received mine, went and placed it in a cache, and before anyone logged picking it up, the cache owner archived the cache.

I emailed him via GC.com to ask about the TB, but he never replied.

When they first came out, I went through the list alphabetically and started posting to the ones that had not moved and added each one to my watch list. After I got up to the "C"s I realized that 40% were never logged as received. I stopped posting to them. That was way back when. Today I am still getting emails that they are being logged, maybe 10 a week or less. And I am cleaning up my watchlist as they come in, but it is still very long. Not all of the U4D TBs were handed out via www.geocaching.com. Some were ordered through the Diabetes Foundation website, and may never end up in the hands of cachers at all.

If anyone is unsure how logging a TB works, click here.

PS: To those who are just logging them now, there's no need to email me an apology for the delay :rolleyes: (I've gotten quite a few of those!)

This may not even be the place to ask this but I'm gonna try. I'm the ultimate newbie to geocaching (I found out about it yesterday). I got all excited when I saw the ADA Geocoins. I do the Tour de Cure bike ride for ADA every year. I would like to find a ADA Geocoin so I can carry it with me on the bike in May on my ride before I send it along. What are my chances of happening upon a coin? Any info would be appreciated!!

Just try again. I googled runtime error, and this is what it said: "A runtime error, in general, is an error generated during the time at which the computer is running a software application and experiences an issue.

The runtime or run-time error message can be caused by:

Confliction with TSR or other running program

Software issue

Computer Virus

Memory issue"

So, try, try again.