Screen Dividers to Scale Maps

Thot

It seems like this is such a logical need there would be a dozen free ones around, but I can't find any.

I'm frequently looking at online maps and I need to scale distances. On paper I do this with a pair of dividers. But I can't find the equivalent for a computer screen. A software measuring device that lets you calibrate it on the map's scale and then apply it to the distances you want to measure on the map.

Anybody know where I can find such a tool?

It seems like this is such a logical need there would be a dozen free ones around, but I can't find any.

I'm frequently looking at online maps and I need to scale distances. On paper I do this with a pair of dividers. But I can't find the equivalent for a computer screen. A software measuring device that lets you calibrate it on the map's scale and then apply it to the distances you want to measure on the map.

Dunno about the calibration part, but apps like Photoshop have a ruler tool (measure tool in GIMP) which allows you to measure distances between two arbitrary points. Then measure the rule in the map's legend and do the math on a calculator, I guess.

Better than holding a divider up to your monitor. :-)