Trackables Request...

FlagFinder

i think we should be able to just buy the codes for trackables so we can make our own items for those of us who know how too you know with using a laser engraver you can make many trackable items like caribiners keychains personal dog tags pretty much anything you can think of so i think it would be a good idea.

does anyone else think this is a good idea?

I understand what you want, but I'm not sure it is a great idea.

It would save shipping charges and it would save sapce and allow for customized tagging.

On the other hand, it would make the TB less recognizable as a traveler. The shape and design of the tag are instantly recognizable. Having a uniform tagging method makes it more likely that even a brand new, first time cacher would realize that perhaps this thing they have found in the cache is not an ordinary trade item.

If you wish to engrave the number onto an object and release it without the tag, you may do so. The odds that it will result in some confusion are huge, and you will have to pay for the cost of shipping tags that you will not use.

My justification for thinking this is this:

There are "other" travel tag organizations/groups/systems that use only numbers. I have picked up items that had a number on them from caches. I searched for that number on one or two of the alternate services and didn't find any information on the item. Eventually, I put the item back in some cache (the one I took it from, if I could remember where that was!), unlogged, hoping someone would be able to help it. I have never had that problem with a gc tagged item.

i understand your point and im sure many people would like thier own trackable items you know what else we could do. when you se theres a coin in a cache or a bug it lists the name now how bout we have it list the name and what kind of item it is so you know wut to look for.

You need to consider the expense regarding your request. There is a reason why there are minimums for the number of geocoins you can request tracking numbers for. If you want to buy that minimum number of tracking codes, then I would think they would consider selling them to you. They also want to know how they are being used, so you will have to provide art for each before they will allow it to be tracked on the site.

For them to go through all the motions to add one trackable item into the site, the time to handle each individual request would be pretty labor intensive. Frankly, it probably takes as long to deal with an individual code as it does to deal with a group of 100.

If you want something tracked individually, I don't understand why you don't just buy a travel bug and use the number on it. You can then keep the tag, engrave that tag number on the item and send it out. Would that not accomplish your goal?

I understand what you want, but I'm not sure it is a great idea.

It would save shipping charges and it would save sapce and allow for customized tagging.

On the other hand, it would make the TB less recognizable as a traveler. The shape and design of the tag are instantly recognizable. Having a uniform tagging method makes it more likely that even a brand new, first time cacher would realize that perhaps this thing they have found in the cache is not an ordinary trade item.

If you wish to engrave the number onto an object and release it without the tag, you may do so. The odds that it will result in some confusion are huge, and you will have to pay for the cost of shipping tags that you will not use.

My justification for thinking this is this:

There are "other" travel tag organizations/groups/systems that use only numbers. I have picked up items that had a number on them from caches. I searched for that number on one or two of the alternate services and didn't find any information on the item. Eventually, I put the item back in some cache (the one I took it from, if I could remember where that was!), unlogged, hoping someone would be able to help it. I have never had that problem with a gc tagged item.

I hear ya. I figure hey, you get what you pay for and you shouldn't expect anything more than what you put into it.

I'm sure someone could make a tag that informs finders about it being a TB better than the gc.com tag does, just as I am sure someone is going to write their tracking number in pencil on the inside cover of a dime store novel. Both are going to complain when their bug is lost.

The TB forum traffic will increase to the point that I'll pass the top forum poster just responding to TB questions and somebody will figure out how to make a buck selling custom tags.

eh, it happens.

You need to consider the expense regarding your request. There is a reason why there are minimums for the number of geocoins you can request tracking numbers for. If you want to buy that minimum number of tracking codes, then I would think they would consider selling them to you. They also want to know how they are being used, so you will have to provide art for each before they will allow it to be tracked on the site.

For them to go through all the motions to add one trackable item into the site, the time to handle each individual request would be pretty labor intensive. Frankly, it probably takes as long to deal with an individual code as it does to deal with a group of 100.

If you want something tracked individually, I don't understand why you don't just buy a travel bug and use the number on it. You can then keep the tag, engrave that tag number on the item and send it out. Would that not accomplish your goal?

If it's ok to order a TB and then only use the number, engraving it on some custom item (of which the artwork does not have to be approved), why would it be so problematic to just sell the tag number without the physical TB?

Katja

I guess because there is already an international system in place to sell these. Groundspeak itself does not sell them directly, per se. The TBugs are not sent from the main office at Groundspeak. They are sent from different approved retailers. If you want to contact one of these retailers to see if they want to try to put this type of system in place, you could do that I suppose. I guess I don't understand the need to reinvent the wheel though. It is very easy to just order a TBug and engrave your code when it arrives.

Maybe one of the retailers might try to put something like that in place, who knows.

One thing to consider... by the time you do all of this emailing and stuff, your TBugs would probably arrive in the mail. If you want to swim upstream instead, I would guess you could contact the retailer for your particular country and wait and see what they say. They will probably have to contact Groundspeak to see if it is OK.

I agree with this. The 250 minimum at $1.50 a piece is fine for making geocoins. But it is too expensive and impracticle for a person who just wants 5 or 10 items to be trackable and that aren't necessarily coins.

Buying a TB tag and copying the code is easy enough but my guess is that the TB codes are all generated at one location by a computer. What is so difficult in just purchasing a handful of them and receiving them via email through an automated system? It would save the custer wait time and money since shipping isn't an issue, and save Groundspeak some cash by not creating the tags. I would almost guarantee it would increase sales.

No?

Edited by scavok

i think it would increase sales some people might not like the regular TB's and not like any coins they see and think i want to make my own but for a low price i dont want to buy 250 for a 1.50 maybe i want 10 for a 1.50

Why don't you just write Groundspeak, tell them how many you want to buy and ask if they will sell them to you? That way you get a real answer instead of all the guess's that people make here? Write Contact@geocaching.com and ask the source.

This thread is akin to the folks who move to the small town because they like the "small town" environment and then complain because there isn't a huge shopping mall in the city limits. There is nothing stopping us from creating a personalized TB. Prepare the customized TB and put your email address on it. Ask those who move it to email you regarding its movement. Or, better yet, set up your own personal web page to track your customized TBs and provide a logging system so that those who want to participate receive a "score". They could then record their "score" on their GC profile page if the numbers are that important. You can personalize your GCTB with by attaching your personal charm, ornament, etc. using the current system. We don't need individualized personal TB tracking program.

Why don't you just write Groundspeak, tell them how many you want to buy and ask if they will sell them to you? That way you get a real answer instead of all the guess's that people make here? Write Contact@geocaching.com and ask the source.

Ditto.

You can reply all you like here but nobody in here can you give you the answer you want. You can either wait around for Jeremy to see this and reply, or you can take the fast track by emailing as stated above.

FWIW - It's been posted recently that this wouldn't be supported. I'll find the link if I can.

I agree with this. The 250 minimum at $1.50 a piece is fine for making geocoins. But it is too expensive and impracticle for a person who just wants 5 or 10 items to be trackable and that aren't necessarily coins.

What you are not considering is that it is probably too expensive and impractical to deal with all of these individual purchases from a Groundspeak perspective. I would also expect that you would not get the code for $1.50 either. It would probably be more than the cost of a TBug ($4.50). The reason why the codes only cost $1.50 for coins *is* because you are buying the codes in bulk.

The reason they have a minimum quantity is because they don't want to deal with small orders. If they did, they would sell codes for the minting of 10 geocoins. A geocoin is simply a custom trackable item, is it not? Aren't you basically asking for a code for a custom trackable item? If you want it, buy 250 codes just like everyone else who wants a custom trackable item. If you want your own icon, buy the minimum number of codes for that and pay the additional extra costs for the custom icon just like everyone else does.

If you allow this for your item, then you have to allow it for geocoins too. I see no difference here.

Edited by mtn-man

that never occured to me it would be possible and we could make our own trackables without having to even sell the codes unless the site cost money than a small fee would apply the only problem is i dont know how to do it.

I could swear that I suggested that you band together with other like minded folks and buy 250, then keep your 10 earlier in this thread. ? Maybe that was another thread.