How do they do it?

My best day was around 35, but I also went to over 10 caches that day that I had already gone to. So that really came to almost 50. We were doing it as part of a "Cache Machine", where people gather together from all over and go to a bunch of caches as a group.

Basically, all the caches are routed out before hand so that the best route is chosen. No going back and forth. Hopefully, the caches chosen are there and fairly easy, since they were looked at before caching (although the particular CM that I went on had a larger amount of nice walks on it than I would have expected. Very nice.). We started very early, what, 5am? And then we finished by 7pm or something for a nice dinner together. Then, we had a person in charge of driving and a person in charge of navigating so that you can get there easier. We didn't spend a huge time at each cache even if it wasn't found, but that was alright because we had almost 100 caches on the list.

It's fun to do once in a while, but mainly for the socializing aspect, not necessarily to get a bunch of caches all at once.

Just for kicks, here is a picture of the people we cached with on the CM (shared a car), not to mention the other 100 or so people who went on the run.

774d8197-f80f-44ab-a9d3-868500e09aa1.jpg

Edited by Ambrosia

1. Planning - Research caches before starting the run. Find a high-density area with lots of caches you haven't found. Filter out high terrain caches, puzzles you haven't solved, multicaches, high difficulty caches that take an hour to hunt down, disabled caches, caches with a string of DNF's, caches with a long detour from the main route, etc. Use pocket queries, the "caches along a route" feature, GSAK, Google Earth, Geocaching.com Google Maps, whatever it takes to get organized. Some folks create bookmark lists or filtered GSAK databases with just the caches for the run, listed in order. Use a PDA or laptop computer in the car -- NOT printouts of cache pages, which take too long to produce and keep organized.

2. Routing - Use an autorouting GPS, a laptop with real-time mapping, or some other method so that you aren't making wrong turns all day. When in a long, cache-dense area like a shopping district or a park along a river, plan the cache stops as a loop. Do the caches on the right side of the route only. You save minutes by not waiting for left turn arrows at busy intersections. At the end of the cache-dense area, turn around and get the caches you drove past on the way out.

3. Teamwork - When caching with a group it is easier to find more caches, and not just because there are more "eyes" at ground zero. Split up the jobs. The driver does nothing but drive, the navigator plans the next cache and helps the driver get there, the finder is the first person to jump out of the car, the record keeper notes which caches were found or not found, etc. With a good team in a cache-dense area, it's easy to get 100 or even 200 caches in a day. Solo is much harder. You can't safely drive, enter a waypoint and read a cache description all at the same time. I have never done that, I swear I haven't. :D

4. Discipline - If you are really concentrating on numbers, stick to the plan and don't fall victim to the temptation to hike down the trail a mile to the pretty waterfall cache (which should be saved for another day when you can take time to enjoy that spot). This has ruined more of my planned "numbers runs" than any other cause. I see a state park sign or a cluster of caches in a nature preserve, and the plan is out the window. I will end the day with 25 urban finds and 5 state park finds instead of 50 urban finds, but I will be equally happy.

5. Efficient Finds - Once you find the cache, write your name in the logbook (some use stickers), carefully replace the log in its baggie, and carefully place the cache back in its hiding spot just as the owner intended. Do NOT do anything else at the cache site. On a numbers run, don't worry about trading trinkets, leaving sig items, exchanging trackables, etc. If you spend more than X minutes searching for the cache, call it a DNF and move on to the next one.

6. Keep Moving - In your cachemobile, have a coffee thermos, snacks, sandwiches and an ice chest full of water bottles, Gatorade, soda pop or whatever else you eat and drink. An hour lunch break means five to ten fewer finds for the day. If you do take a break, pick a cache with a nice place to sit and chill out. Potty stops are about the only universal exception to this. Personally a Starbucks is also a valid exception.

7. Night Caching - Don't stop when it gets dark, especially in the winter when days are short. Carry a high-powered flashlight and a penlight for night finds. Plan your route so that the caches at the end of the day are in locations that are safe for night caching (no cemeteries, parks that close at dusk, etc.)

Well, those are my tips for efficient speed caching. But I would also like to editorialize. First, take the time to enjoy the surroundings, if they're nice. The owner brought you there for a reason. Second, keep notes that are good enough so that you can log a unique online log for each cache. I hate copy and paste logs, both as an owner and as a finder! Third, have fun. If it stops being fun after twenty parking lots, go find a nice trail and take a hike.

1. Planning - Research caches before starting the run. Find a high-density area with lots of caches you haven't found. Filter out high terrain caches, puzzles you haven't solved, multicaches, high difficulty caches that take an hour to hunt down, disabled caches, caches with a string of DNF's, caches with a long detour from the main route, etc. Use pocket queries, the "caches along a route" feature, GSAK, Google Earth, Geocaching.com Google Maps, whatever it takes to get organized. Some folks create bookmark lists or filtered GSAK databases with just the caches for the run, listed in order. Use a PDA or laptop computer in the car -- NOT printouts of cache pages, which take too long to produce and keep organized.

2. Routing - Use an autorouting GPS, a laptop with real-time mapping, or some other method so that you aren't making wrong turns all day. When in a long, cache-dense area like a shopping district or a park along a river, plan the cache stops as a loop. Do the caches on the right side of the route only. You save minutes by not waiting for left turn arrows at busy intersections. At the end of the cache-dense area, turn around and get the caches you drove past on the way out.

3. Teamwork - When caching with a group it is easier to find more caches, and not just because there are more "eyes" at ground zero. Split up the jobs. The driver does nothing but drive, the navigator plans the next cache and helps the driver get there, the finder is the first person to jump out of the car, the record keeper notes which caches were found or not found, etc. With a good team in a cache-dense area, it's easy to get 100 or even 200 caches in a day. Solo is much harder. You can't safely drive, enter a waypoint and read a cache description all at the same time. I have never done that, I swear I haven't. :D

4. Discipline - If you are really concentrating on numbers, stick to the plan and don't fall victim to the temptation to hike down the trail a mile to the pretty waterfall cache (which should be saved for another day when you can take time to enjoy that spot). This has ruined more of my planned "numbers runs" than any other cause. I see a state park sign or a cluster of caches in a nature preserve, and the plan is out the window. I will end the day with 25 urban finds and 5 state park finds instead of 50 urban finds, but I will be equally happy.

5. Efficient Finds - Once you find the cache, write your name in the logbook (some use stickers), carefully replace the log in its baggie, and carefully place the cache back in its hiding spot just as the owner intended. Do NOT do anything else at the cache site. On a numbers run, don't worry about trading trinkets, leaving sig items, exchanging trackables, etc. If you spend more than X minutes searching for the cache, call it a DNF and move on to the next one.

6. Keep Moving - In your cachemobile, have a coffee thermos, snacks, sandwiches and an ice chest full of water bottles, Gatorade, soda pop or whatever else you eat and drink. An hour lunch break means five to ten fewer finds for the day. If you do take a break, pick a cache with a nice place to sit and chill out. Potty stops are about the only universal exception to this. Personally a Starbucks is also a valid exception.

7. Night Caching - Don't stop when it gets dark, especially in the winter when days are short. Carry a high-powered flashlight and a penlight for night finds. Plan your route so that the caches at the end of the day are in locations that are safe for night caching (no cemeteries, parks that close at dusk, etc.)

Well, those are my tips for efficient speed caching. But I would also like to editorialize. First, take the time to enjoy the surroundings, if they're nice. The owner brought you there for a reason. Second, keep notes that are good enough so that you can log a unique online log for each cache. I hate copy and paste logs, both as an owner and as a finder! Third, have fun. If it stops being fun after twenty parking lots, go find a nice trail and take a hike.

I believe 'The Leperchauns' have hit the nail on the head!

Just lately 'Starbrand' coordinated an event here in the Panhandle of Nebraska. 'First to 80 Finds' in a 48 hour time frame. The first place team found I believe 83 in a little over 14 hrs.

This is how they did it: (It follows very close to the above guide)

1) PLANNING- they spent more time in planning than the actual search. (details to follow) Used Google Earth to print out 36 pages of caches in our area. Taped and laminated together to make a 4'x6' map and plotted route.

2) Routing- used an Excell spreadsheat and charted most efficient route to follow from several starting points. Results were minimally different. Driver/Navigator was originally from Scottsbluff, Ne. and was chosen because he knew the roads/streets/shortcuts around town. Did not rely on any GPS to direct to cache except in the last 1/4 mile.

3) Teamwork- 2 w/GPSr- 1 driver/navigator- 1 logbooks- 1 grunt/climber = 5 total. Stayed the same for the whole duration of finds.

4) Discipline- Stayed the course, a change in plans was not even considered. Also see #3

5) Efficient Finds-Stayed away from multis/puzzle. Also thru Google Earth looked at each cache to see how far cache could be from parking. Kept those distances to a minimum. Terrain was also a consideration.

6) Keep moving!- No naps, no stops (other than restrooms, but you know boys will be boys when it come to that!) Had two coolers of food/drink in back of cachemobile. The 'Starbucks' exception noted!

7) Nght Caching- this competition started at 12:00M, so night caching was essential. Lots of good flashlights/head lights, etc.

And I'll add #8, good cachemobile- theirs was a F250 diesel 4x4,etc.-4doors. Lots of room, plenty of everything for a cache run.

The team consisted of 'Seeking Hearts', 'Good Lookin', 'the Roys', 'Shelter1', and 'Chennetts. All from Hastings Ne.

Their effort surprised a lot of us since we live in a mostly rural community and caches can be somewhat far apart.

I'm sure that the 80/14hrs. is by no means a record. But still a feat considering our area and some of the hides they had to find. (They had 3 DNF's.)

Dr. P

Edited by palser

3. Teamwork - When caching with a group it is easier to find more caches, and not just because there are more "eyes" at ground zero. Split up the jobs. The driver does nothing but drive

the navigator plans the next cache and helps the driver get there, the finder is the first person to jump out of the car, the record keeper notes which caches were found or not found, etc. With a good team in a cache-dense area, it's easy to get 100 or even 200 caches in a day. Solo is much harder. You can't safely drive, enter a waypoint and read a cache description all at the same time. I have never done that, I swear I haven't. :D

Does the driver get out of the car to sign the log? If not, how can he claim the find?

My best was 35 in one day ( All by myself)

About the only thing I would add is when using GSAk or something similar kick out any caches that haven't been found in a couple of months, they probably have a few dnfs which cachers didn't log

other then that a great post LEP.

Pick urban areas with lots of "1/1" caches. Park and grabs really make this easy.

My best while caching with two other people was 54 in a day, including an event that lasted over three hours.

My second best was 36, and it included a 5 mile hike for 27 caches.

Another more enjoyable method to finding lots of caches, where no parking lots, are involved, is by visiting the "Greater Palm Springs Area."

Pushawalla.jpg

Event-Caches.jpg

Edited by Kit Fox

Actually I agree with what others have said but all that stuff is not necessary. When I really started caching early in 2006 I cached almost exclusively alone. I started to do day power runs in different areas around where I live. I would just look for areas with high cache density. Early on my high was 18 and could not figure out how people did so many. I then did a day where I tried for 50+ caches and found 34. I then decided to go to Chicago to run a series that is known for runs. In a little over 6 hours I found 98 of 110 caches. Then and still today I do not use any maps/software to plan my route other then the ones on the geocaching website. Yes I have wasted much time and taken many wrong turns but to me that is part of the fun. The day that I did the 98 caches they were done solo and I signed all the logs. So I guess with that all said it is cache density that makes high number runs possible.

Golly, I'm a noob here, and I guess I'm just an old fashioned guy, but I sure don't understand the desire to grab a bunch of easy finds just to log a lot of numbers in one day. To me it's sort of like getting a team of fishermen to run out on the lake and come back saying we cought 75 bass today between us and they average about a pound each. I would much rather hunt down 2 or 3 real challenging caches in a day by myself. That would give me a lot more pride of accomplishment. Sort of likre coming back to the Dock with 2 big "Whoppers" in my cooler instead of a bunch of minnows. Am I all alone here?

Golly, I'm a noob here, and I guess I'm just an old fashioned guy, but I sure don't understand the desire to grab a bunch of easy finds just to log a lot of numbers in one day. To me it's sort of like getting a team of fishermen to run out on the lake and come back saying we cought 75 bass today between us and they average about a pound each. I would much rather hunt down 2 or 3 real challenging caches in a day by myself. That would give me a lot more pride of accomplishment. Sort of likre coming back to the Dock with 2 big "Whoppers" in my cooler instead of a bunch of minnows. Am I all alone here?

Read my post again. :D

Read my post again. B)

You have no legs? :D

Oh, you mean that while it seems like easy pick'ens, it can and usually does touch the heart of caching.

Yep, you're right.

Read my post again. :D

You have no legs? :D

Oh, you mean that while it seems like easy pick'ens, it can and usually does touch the heart of caching.

Yep, you're right.

No, actually I meant the "I have no legs post". Right the first time.

B)

No reason why you can't have both. Been there done that. Enjoyed both experiences. That is the beauty of geocaching. There is something for everyone!

On my bookmark list linked below, you will see my link to my favorite virtual caches. My number one favorite was a grueling hike off trail in the desert of NW Arizona. We found one cache on that hike. Some did not make it to the final cache location. Some that did were not sure they could make it right up to the final few steps to get there.

On the flip side, I was curious how fast I could find 100 caches in a cache rich area. Using an expert (JoGPS) as the driver, I found 100 caches in 11 hours and 6 minutes with a lunch in there somewhere. We also drove to the south part of town for the last couple of caches. It was a blast and something I will never forget.

Are you alone in your thinking? Na. Still, like I say, the beauty of the game is that there is something for everyone. You have to love that.

No reason why you can't have both. Been there done that. Enjoyed both experiences. That is the beauty of geocaching. There is something for everyone!

On my bookmark list linked below, you will see my link to my favorite virtual caches. My number one favorite was a grueling hike off trail in the desert of NW Arizona. We found one cache on that hike. Some did not make it to the final cache location. Some that did were not sure they could make it right up to the final few steps to get there.

On the flip side, I was curious how fast I could find 100 caches in a cache rich area. Using an expert (JoGPS) as the driver, I found 100 caches in 11 hours and 6 minutes with a lunch in there somewhere. We also drove to the south part of town for the last couple of caches. It was a blast and something I will never forget.

Are you alone in your thinking? Na. Still, like I say, the beauty of the game is that there is something for everyone. You have to love that.

In an ideal world, I'd love to do 2 or 3 nice hiking caches. This happens rarely for me now. But even if I could do that, I like to have a bit of variety now and then. I wouldn't want to be making cache runs all the time. Sometimes go on a hike, sometimes do a bunch of caches with a bunch of people in one day, sometimes cache alone, sometimes cache with my family, sometimes cache with a friend, sometimes to the Wal-mart micro because it was cool to find a cache where I am shopping.

Every time I look at the picture that I posted at the top of this thread, I get a little smile on my face, because I'm remembering a fantastically fun day that I spent with friends. 'Nuff said. :D

Nope, not alone at all. We have become picky on which caches we choose to find. We prefer going for the ones that will take us to a scenic area or to some place we have never been to before or gives us a challenging 4x4 or bushwalking trip. Caching for us is not about the numbers, but getting out and exploring and seeing places we haven`t been to before and probably otherwise wouldn`t have visited. We have been known to pass some local caches because we already know the area and history etc, and some that are hidden in places that are of no interest to us such as insignificant roadside stops that are of no particular importance, or areas such as freeway under/overpasses and easy drive bys etc.

I can understand the social aspect of the cache machines and events etc, but going flat out on a solo effort just to rack up the numbers seems a little boring to me. But then again, I suppose some people make it their challenge to find as many as they can in one day.

Nope, not alone at all. We have become picky on which caches we choose to find. We prefer going for the ones that will take us to a scenic area or to some place we have never been to before or gives us a challenging 4x4 or bushwalking trip. Caching for us is not about the numbers, but getting out and exploring and seeing places we haven`t been to before and probably otherwise wouldn`t have visited. We have been known to pass some local caches because we already know the area and history etc, and some that are hidden in places that are of no interest to us such as insignificant roadside stops that are of no particular importance, or areas such as freeway under/overpasses and easy drive bys etc.

I can understand the social aspect of the cache machines and events etc, but going flat out on a solo effort just to rack up the numbers seems a little boring to me. But then again, I suppose some people make it their challenge to find as many as they can in one day.

I'd probably try it at least once, just to experience it. :D

Once in a while, 4 of us from our side of the water get together and head out on a number day. The ringleader, (not me) determines where we'll be going. He will get the route from cache to cache figured out, and send that info to the rest of us.

On the appointed time, we all meet up, pile into one vehicle, and off we go.

My best day ever was on one of these runs, and I bagged 65 or so that day.

This was sorta like a CM, without the mob.

Once in a while, 4 of us from our side of the water get together and head out on a number day. The ringleader, (not me) determines where we'll be going. He will get the route from cache to cache figured out, and send that info to the rest of us.

On the appointed time, we all meet up, pile into one vehicle, and off we go.

My best day ever was on one of these runs, and I bagged 65 or so that day.

This was sorta like a CM, without the mob.

And I've experienced one of these days with you guys. It was one of the most enjoyable caching days I've had. :D

Another excuse for a picture (minus one of our group who took the picture)!

9a101d92-525f-4329-a736-76b892bdd3f7.jpg

I was just wondering what tools cachers who make monster runs use to grab so many caches in one day. I think the most we have gotten was 15.

15 in a day is a great number. Any amount of caches in one day is a good number and almost everyone posting to this topic will agree with that.

Team and Cache Machine caching is a very fun way to play the game though we seldom get that opportunity. In the moderately cache dense areas we have available to us I have often gone out by myself for "a day of caching". On those days I want a greater number of cache experiences. It is feasible to find 30 to 50 caches in a 12 to 16 hour period in a medium sized city surrounded by rural areas. Mega cities and cities surrounded by cities are where the higher find counts come from.

I use a less intensive approach because I cache alone. I run a Pocket Query for the target area, manipulate the PQ output with Spinner, download the cache pages into a PDA and the waypoints into the gps. Then I head out, usually a 2 to 3 hour drive to get to the area, and then scan the gps map page when I get there for a good starting point. Then I auto-route from cache to cache, keeping an eye on staying in the denser cache areas.

I don’t follow most of the “best management practices” for power caching or my daily totals would more likely be in the 50 to 75 range. There is only one of me driving, navigating, searching, logging, recording and taking in the sights and sound of the cache areas. This method involves no preplanning of routes and no pre-reading of the cache pages to determine if there are problems or which would be the best caches for quick finds.

I do spend too much time searching when the hide isn’t immediately obvious because I don’t like walking away without finding it. I get side tracked at sites with great views and when near birding areas. I aim for a steady pace rather than power stops. But the goal on those days is to find a lot of caches. I make it my “project” and I love it. It is a low-level way to have big-time fun.

But as I said at the top, finding one or two caches in a day is also very enjoyable. We can do it all.

I'm not a person who would probably do well in group caches, I almost feel as though if I havent found it, it's not really mine (this doesnt seem to apply to how I feel about others doing it, go figure...so I suppose I just need to find it first)...that and I tend to get impatient :D ...true failings of mine i'm sure.

I think my best is 6...on a canal trail, but the Bay Area is a pretty dense cache area.

But I better get used to having partners with as many people i'm getting hooked onto geocaching...muahahaha that and Disney Pin Trading...i'm so evil.

I think my best in 1 day was 3. That involved walking over 60km and a few dnf's.

This whole CM idea is a bit too overboard for me, besides it will take 4 hours to get to the next nearest cache and this is about 220km away and involves some hardcore roads. After that it is desert all the way so the most I could possibly get in one day is probably 2.

However I am planning a trip to Switzerland again so things are looking up.

Edited by tttedzeins