MapSend Topo 3D... Um..where are the dirt roads!

jubatus69

Ok Long story Short. Upgraded to Magellan XL from Gold. and low and behold my old software does not work, so magellan forces me to buy new software (topo 3D) $100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And oh theres no dirt roads. No Dirt Roads!!!!! No Dirt Roads!!!!! HELLO!!!!!

I should have listened to alll those people telling me to buy Garmin.

Magellan makes me want to kill my self. PLease HELP

I did the same thing that you did, from a Meri/Plat to an XL (a great GPS) and the new ToPo 3D hoping to get a better view for these old eyes. I made my purchase based on the misguided impression that the new product that Magellan had produced was as good or better than what I had as far as mapping of the dirt roads/trails that we need for navigation in the boondocks when ride ATVs. Magellan has **SCREWED** us by not up dating the XL GPS and ToPo 3D mapping from the first production run. I have close to $500 in this set up and I still have to resort to the older Meri/Plat and MapSend ToPo V4.20 to have the back road information that I thought I was getting when I made my newer GPS/Mapping purchase.

Magellan pull your head from your posterior and do what is the proper thing for your dollar committed costumers !

ummmh i see logging roads as well as the dirt roads. My only problem is getting it into my memory card. having some issues

Ummm... You see dirt roads? Wow please tell me your secret. Id really like to know.

You know im not talking about Logging roads. Im talking about small dirt roads and trails.

Just what the OLD maps had thats all i ask.

Go to Google Maps and zoom in and you will see the dirt roads im talkin about.

It so sad when a search engine company has better maps than a GPS company.

I hate getting ripped off!!

Magellan has ruined my GPS experiance for life.

I will never buy a megallan product again EVER.

Gentlemen Please understand~

Yes there are logging roads, dirt roads and some trails on ToPo3D, **BUTT** not shown to the same detail and extensions in remote areas as was incorporated in the MapSend V4.20 version,... and that is only part of the problem.

I payed good money to get what I thought was a newer updated version of Magellan proprietary software (ToPo3D) map that would work on my XL GPS, possibly providing me with at least the same detail and got a version that lacked a significant amount of detail that the older V4.20 had. And to make matters worse the older V4.20 ToPo software that I also payed good money for will not work on the new Magellan eXploeist series GPS. That is why we are screaming about getting screwed!!!

ummmh i see logging roads as well as the dirt roads. My only problem is getting it into my memory card. having some issues

Ummm... You see dirt roads? Wow please tell me your secret. Id really like to know.

You know im not talking about Logging roads. Im talking about small dirt roads and trails.

if you tell me how to bypass the SECURITY ERROR download incomplete I will show you the dirt roads

Sorry the dirt roads are there. Check Geirman rd in Maybee MI. That is a dirt road. I do not know anything about the past software but a blanket statement that dirt roads do not show is incorrect.

if you tell me how to bypass the SECURITY ERROR download incomplete I will show you the dirt roads

Sorry the dirt roads are there. Check Geirman rd in Maybee MI. That is a dirt road. I do not know anything about the past software but a blanket statement that dirt roads do not show is incorrect.

See if this helps if it does thank EMBRA

I've had both MapSend topo V4.20 & the newer topo3d, I agree the older topo V4.20 has much better offroad/backroad detail. Besides having the 3D feature I couldn't really find anything I would consider an upgrade with the new topo3D.

garmins topo us software shows many roads but only lists some road names, so if you want topo maps with decent street data magellan is the way to go. The offroad/Trail detail is very good with garmins topo US, much better than either magellan topo software I have used.

I appreciate all the responses. My intent was not to start an argument. But maybe to get a little consolation. I guess my anger did show through a bit in the first post. But again it is disappointing to be forced into an upgrade that is missing the one thing that I truly found useful on the older version, the one thing that an outdoors TOPO map software (TOPO being the key word, (the single most useful aspect of a topo map is the comprehensive dirt road mapping) and an outdoors gps unit should have. I Also Have both old and new mapsends legally. I even ran them side by side on my PC. Since my first post i have found some hope though it is not very usefull for me, it is the world of Custom Map making, I did a little research on it, it seems all issue can be fixed this way but it seems EXTREMELY complicated and time consuming. I have finally decided to just use this New XL and limited topo software for the highway and city mapping.

BUT (what iv been waiting to ask) Im now having problems loading maps on to my unit!!!

I save regions to my SD card through a reader, The unit does list the detailed maps that i uploaded but then when trying to activate the map in the unit I get a map security error!! Does any one have any ideas. I looked on the Magellan web site. and it mentioned something about renaming (this was the key to loading more than 1 region on to the SD card)so i tried that and it does also list the renamed maps when trying to activate but still im getting the ERROR!! even when trying to activate both renamed and non-renamed maps. Please help!!

Has anyone tried contacting Magellan? I don't mean sending a short email saying, "there are no dirt roads!" I mean sending a detailed email, with specific areas, and stating that this same area on older software had more information. One could also try using the phone number and speaking to a real person. While it is easy to vent your frustrations on this forum, it really doesn't help solve the problem. Magellan has to hear detailed problems if they are to improve their product.

BUT (what iv been waiting to ask) Im now having problems loading maps on to my unit!!!

I save regions to my SD card through a reader, The unit does list the detailed maps that i uploaded but then when trying to activate the map in the unit I get a map security error!! Does any one have any ideas. I looked on the Magellan web site. and it mentioned something about renaming (this was the key to loading more than 1 region on to the SD card)so i tried that and it does also list the renamed maps when trying to activate but still im getting the ERROR!! even when trying to activate both renamed and non-renamed maps. Please help!!

That's usually due to a serial number mismatch. Make sure that you've correctly entered the serial number from your About screen when compiling the detail map file. You may have to leave off the leading zero for the 600.