Is the Garmin Topo (100K) map worth getting?

Maui19

I have a new Garmin 60Cx and would like to load it with maps for hiking. I have looked into the Garmin Topo 100k CD, and frankly I'm underwhelmed with the quality of the maps. After reading about maps, I gather that my options are either Topo or custom maps, but the Garmin Topo seems very overpriced given what you get.

Am I reading this wrong?

The Garmin 100K topo maps are pretty good overall for hiking, and have lots of useful features and roads. I feel it is worth the price and is a major step above the base mapping that comes factory loaded. In my region I also have the National Parks 24K topo which is great for those areas covered. I think you will benefit from the 100K mapping.

I have been extremely disapointed with the Topo maps... but still use them often. It is better than staring a blank screen when off road! If needed for a small area you could roll your own that are much better but it ain't easy (I'm just starting to attempt it now) I looked at the hi res garmin topo maps but they simply don't cover anything usefull to me.

Would I buy it again knowing what I do now? Probabally, but very reluctantly, and probabally not untill I understand the practicality of roll your own.

From what I understand, the 100k only covers national parks.

That's the 24k national park set. I passed on it, because it's missing a significant portion of my local NP.

As for the 100k maps, they don't have enough information to be useful for me. What I did instead was to create a lot of waypoints and tracks on my GPS, and from those I have a very good set of trails and landmarks to navigate from. Many of the topo maps they use are also out-of-date.

Edited by bkrownd

I have a new Garmin 60Cx and would like to load it with maps for hiking. I have looked into the Garmin Topo 100k CD, and frankly I'm underwhelmed with the quality of the maps. After reading about maps, I gather that my options are either Topo or custom maps, but the Garmin Topo seems very overpriced given what you get.

Sounds to me like the trick would be to buy topo fer cheap off someone who bought it and is disgusted with it. :-) Topo 100k for $40 or so is more palatable than 100k topo at retail.

I'm in the same boat as the others. I got a Garmin vista cx for Xmas but couldn't use it without the maps. I bought the Garmin Topo and it's not detailed enough. I need 1:24K but it doesn't appear that Garmin offers it.

I love the vista cx but feel a bit cheated after spending $100 for maps that aren't very useful.

Would I buy Mapsource again? Yes but only because we have no choice. (unless theres something I've missed)

I find the 100K topos very useful for caching in rough terrain - especially for bushwhacking . I would love to get 24k for the areas I frequently go to but the 100k helped me so far to avoid any major surprises with large backtracking when bushwhacking (e.g. cliffs, major streams, etc.). They don't have much in terms of roads or trails - but who needs roads or trails when carrying a GPS :D