First to Find Question

bccruiser

A bit of background is in order before the question. bccruiser is made up of two people and we have found everyone of our 300 caches together. Because we always cache together the only time that our schedules match up is during the weekends. Thus, we are not able to rush after caches to become FTF and claim the prize that are sometimes there.

So the question is, would it be okay if when a cache pops up and only one of us is avaliable, for that person to rush out and try to get FTF and claim the prize? We would then log a note saying that FTF has been claimed but that we will not log a find until both parts of bccruiser have found the cache.

What do you think?

FamilyDNA is a team of 3 (D, N, and A). Most of our finds are as a family, many are by two of the three, some are just one. None of the three of us could claim ALL the finds if we had three individual accounts, but we cache mostly as a family and log them that way. I know some families that log as we do, and others where each has an individual account.

OK, my point is, if I'm free and want to go for a FTF, I go for it. I don't wait until anyone else in the family has a free day to find it before logging, I log it. If a cache is especially noteworthy I may visit again with the rest of the family, but I don't feel like I have to.

we are a family of 5. My wife could not care less about this hobby. My 17 year old has gone once but she has better things to do like listen to her boyfriend breath on the phone :D so it's usually my 2 boys and i. i do log how many are at the cache with 3/5 of FFof5 or 1/5 if it's just me. I do have a seperate account for just me tho. I work about 25 miles from my home coords and it gives me something to do on lunch insyead of sitting on the puter and I really don't think the boys (6 & 3) will be headed to the big city to cache with me so it's just something to keep our "family" numbers more legit. it's up to you. you don't have to log it online if you don't want to. I'll be headed out to one of my placements to check the logs. See if anyone has found with out logging on line. hope this helps in your decision and

HAPPY CACHING!

Scott

A bit of background is in order before the question. bccruiser is made up of two people and we have found everyone of our 300 caches together. Because we always cache together the only time that our schedules match up is during the weekends. Thus, we are not able to rush after caches to become FTF and claim the prize that are sometimes there.

So the question is, would it be okay if when a cache pops up and only one of us is avaliable, for that person to rush out and try to get FTF and claim the prize? We would then log a note saying that FTF has been claimed but that we will not log a find until both parts of bccruiser have found the cache.

What do you think?

I am not into FTFs, but please be advised that for most two-or-more-person accounts, i.e., team accounts, not all the finds were necessarily "found" by each member of the "team", but rather some or even many of the finds may have been done by just one team member. A good case in point is our Premium-member Vinny & Sue team account, which I share with my wife Sue. It was originally started as my personal account, and it eventually morphed into being a joint account for the two of us. I am not at all compulsive or obsessive about geocaching, and thus I only tend to seek or hide caches when and if I am so inspired by what I will call Holy Spirit. As a result, I tend to hunt or find only a couple of caches per month, on average. Sue, on the other hand, spends over 25 hours per week on geocaching-related activities, particularly on puzzle caches, and so she often logs many finds per week on our joint account. I have urged her many times to consider instead logging all those many solo puzzle cache finds on her own personal Premium account, but she prefers to log them all on our joint account for her personal reasons. As a result of all these factors, and also due to the fact that I travel far more than does Sue, our Vinny & Sue team account bears many finds which Sue made solo, and it also bears a number of finds, particularly in India and in far-away states in the USA, which I made solo, and it even owns a couple of caches which I placed in the ID/WY area without Sue's assistance.

Trust your instincts. If it feels right, it probably is. Clan Riffster is a team composed of me, (Sean), my wife Viv, our 11 year old daughter Munchkin, and our 16 year old daughter Carolyn. The rest of the kids have their own accounts. Probably 60% of our team's finds were done by just me. I have no problem logging them for the team.

What do you think?

Just one thing I thought of, and it really is a minor thing, but you never know what could tick off one of your fellow FTF enthusiasts. If you only log a note, the cache in question, when viewed with other caches in a list (on say a zip code search, or the list of all caches in your State), will not show as being found yet, without clicking on the cache page, and seeing the note. Could lead someone to believe FTF hadn't been claimed yet.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

The three Rushkateers don't go caching as a group every time. I'm the common thread, but I frequently cache with just my husband or my son. We log all finds as team finds because I can't imagine either of the boys caring to type their own logs for finds done by all three of us. And in July, there will be four Rushkateers. I don't plan on getting the baby its own account. :D

Edited to get to the point: I think it's up to you. I wouldn't assume that all finds done by a team were done by every member of that team. If I were you, I'd go for solo FTFs and log them as team finds. But I admire the honesty that your question comes from.

Edited by ThreeRushkateers

I would agree with everyone else here. We do that same but I have more oportunity get out for the FTF if it is away from home. Plus Mrs Wyohunter is a fair weather cacher, she was with me all summer but now that the snow has hit, I am on my own. But we do the logging on one account.

Someone's brother's friend who knew this guy who used to cache but gave all his stuff to this lady down the street told me that if you have a team account and not all of the members of the team are present for the FTF, then you have to send the FTF prize to a random person that posted in THIS VERY THREAD. Or so I've been told.

usyoopers are a husband and wife that like to cache together, I have never thought of us as a "team". All finds are logged as usyoopers, I think we only have 1 cache each that was found solo though. The other yooper does have a business meeting out of state next month that he does have instructions to find a cache while he is there...it will be logged as usyoopers.

Not sure why this would be an issue.

Several weeks ago it was established in these forums that logging a "Found It" on-line has nothing to do with claiming FTF bragging rights.

I say go for it. Just beware of a jealous caching partner when you start snagging all of those FTF. :(;)

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you have fun along the way!