Nuvi310D SatNav - Anyone cached with it?

Laughalot

Bought myself a SatNav Nuvi 310D - My Etrex Legend is playing up and the screen seems to be going so I need a new GPS and wondered if anyone had used the Nuvi to do geocaching and what they thought if so....

Cheers

Laughalot :laughing:

I have a Nuvi 300, and wouldn't use it for caching. The main reasons are that the unit is not robust enough to use like that. I wouldn't want it landing in muddy puddle if I should drop it. Secondly, there is no compas like page to direct you. The best bet would be to set it on 2D mode (bird's eye) and rey that way. Again, with no proper countdown you might have hard time. Lastly, the unit is set to lock onto roads, so if you venture near one on a walk, it will assume you are on that road.

Thanks very much for your replyGeo-Kate - I take on board all you have said and it makes total sense. I was just wondering if it had been tried and what the outcome was.

I guess a shopping trip is in order to get a new gps.... oooOooo shopping is such good fun!

Laughalot

My computer was having a moment when I replied earlier, there was a bit more I wanted to add...

I did try (just in my garden) navigating to a point as you would towards a waypoint for a geocache, and it didn't really do well.

The annoying thing is that it has a far better receiver than my GPSMAP 60C and would be great under heavy tree cover or in poor reception areas. But it is just not what it's designed for I guess. A great machine, still.

What receiver are you looking at buying?

i have used my nuvi 350 under tree cover to good effect(just changed settings to off road and pedestrian),but i wouldn't entertain using it in inclement weather! but as kate says its not really designed for the rough world of caching!. i have used mine in cities too. on the satelite view page you can see the co-ords, it only counts down in 100ft increments unlike a legend etc. hope this helps

Thank-you for your help both of you - I will try it in pedestrian mode tomorrow when going into London and see how I get on but I do think it will be the case I need to get my Etrex Legend fixed or buy a new toy.

Geo-Kate - not sure yet but will probably stick to something from Garmin.

Cheers

Laughalot

Thank-you for your help both of you - I will try it in pedestrian mode tomorrow when going into London and see how I get on but I do think it will be the case I need to get my Etrex Legend fixed or buy a new toy.

Try sending your broken Etrex back to Garmin - they often repair their stuff for nothing, even when it's outside of the guarantee period.

I have a Nuvi 300.....its great for see where a cache is in the big scheme of things.It has proved to be quiet usefull when my etrex broke whilst on the final of a multi..I stuck in on Ped mode and it guided me to within @50ft....a good search and the cache was found..it also gets a better signal under tree cover...not perfect but combined with your tracker(which is usally struggling or has given up!) will lead you in the right direction...ish.The nuvi is also good if wanting to go paperless caching as Footpaths/hint/anything can be stored with the cache waypoint by editing with `Easy GPS` program when uploading(instead of there being Co-Ords or Address...theres the hint!)...i can only presume the 310 is better..I would not leave home without it!.....go for Garmin,if it breaks..they fix it..or give you a new one.Best of luck in your purchase....let us know how you got on...Bye :(

Great to see and read your replies folks - thanks very much - I will send the E-trex back to Garmin this week and see how I get on. The bad weather last weekend prevented me from experimenting with my Nuvi310D in the field but I will try it soon. I am thinking of buying the Garmin 60CSX and letting the grandchildren loose with the E-trex should Garmin replace or fix it. Anyone got any info about recent 'best buys' for the 60CSX?

Cheers

Laughalot :ph34r: