Muggles or Mugglers?

On 1/14/2007 at 6:30 PM, Syndam said:

What if I do both? Am I a Bikist? :lol:

Depends. Do you do them both at the same time?

I believe the adjective is subjective to the specific incident or general activity being discussed. On a Friday commute to work, you might be a biker; tomorrow on your day off you might be a cyclist in the park.

However, consider Mo-Peds. For you kids out there, a 'moped' is a vehicle popular in the US back in the 1980's and 90's that were a combination; a pedal-driven motorcycle! 

Moped - Wikipedia

Not quite a motorcycle, not quite a scooter. What would a rider be called? Sad.

Don't mean to poke fun at mopeds, mopedders and mopedists around the world as they ARE popular in other places. I'm just takin' shots at my own country.

Now, if you install one of those little electric motors on your bicycle, you could be referred to as .....

On 1/5/2007 at 8:18 AM, Team CDCB said:

I try to use muggle, but find I slip on occasion and say muggler. I don't think people who use muggler are trying to merge muggle and mugger, rather I think they (intentionally or not) are thinking of muggle as a verb, and then figureing one who does that gets an "-er" added to the end:

I farm, therefore I'm a farmer.

I bike, therefore I'm a biker.

I muggle, therefore I'm a muggler

I race, so does that make me a racist? LOL

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
On 8/19/2020 at 1:02 PM, Max and 99 said:

I have never seen "mugglers" used in a log. 

Have seen "muggle" (N. a person not part of the game)

Have seen "muggles" (N. same, but plural)

Have seen "muggler" (N. a person, not part of the game, who removes a cache)

Have see "muggle" (V. the act of a muggle removing a cache)

Have seen "muggled" (V. past tense of above)

Have seen "muggled" (Adj. description of a cache removed by a muggle)

• Upvote 3

Wow, a thread started 13 YEARS ago, bumped 5 years later, now 8 years bumped again.  How DO people FIND these old threads!?! It sure was entertaining reading through all the old posts, and the various understandings of the terminology!

I guess we each have our own idea of what a "muggle" is and the assorted usages of forms of the word.  "Muggles" to me are non-geocachers, potential witnesses to the retrieval or search of a geocache that could cause questions, suspicion, or unwanted attention ("muggles approaching...").  Can you make a noun from a noun (muggle to muggler?)  "Muggle" is not originally a verb, but a noun.  But I am no epxert!

Yes, I've read some of the Harry Potter books, seen at least one of the movies, but wouldn't consider myself an expert (my kids and their spouses are much more in tune with that than I am!).  That being said, we have created a couple of Harry Potter themed caches for our grandson, whose parents ARE big Harry Potter fans!

• Surprised 1
1 hour ago, ecanderson said:

Have seen "muggle" (N. a person not part of the game)

Have seen "muggles" (N. same, but plural)

Have seen "muggler" (N. a person, not part of the game, who removes a cache)

Have see "muggle" (V. the act of a muggle removing a cache)

Have seen "muggled" (V. past tense of above)

Have seen "muggled" (Adj. description of a cache removed by a muggle)

Yes, to me, a cache that's been muggled (verb) has been taken by a muggle (noun), making that muggle a muggler. But not all muggles are mugglers, far from it, some even write nice things in the logbook before putting everything properly back.

1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

Yes, to me, a cache that's been muggled (verb) has been taken by a muggle (noun), making that muggle a muggler. But not all muggles are mugglers, far from it, some even write nice things in the logbook before putting everything properly back.

Sometimes even by the bomb squad (from Bird Cage GCD531 gallery):

View Image

• Funny 2
22 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Depends. Do you do them both at the same time?

I believe the adjective is subjective to the specific incident or general activity being discussed. On a Friday commute to work, you might be a biker; tomorrow on your day off you might be a cyclist in the park.

However, consider Mo-Peds. For you kids out there, a 'moped' is a vehicle popular in the US back in the 1980's and 90's that were a combination; a pedal-driven motorcycle! 

Moped - Wikipedia

Not quite a motorcycle, not quite a scooter. What would a rider be called? Sad.

Don't mean to poke fun at mopeds, mopedders and mopedists around the world as they ARE popular in other places. I'm just takin' shots at my own country.

Now, if you install one of those little electric motors on your bicycle, you could be referred to as .....

Like this?

dKGsqD7TUeDO-cJEd0jDGkg7wopI1yUFgJmMU-Hb

That's a 1946 Whizzer, seen at the Owls Head transportation museum.  While there wasn't a cache there when I visited I found a nice cache near the Owls Head light house.

• Upvote 1
On 8/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Wow, a thread started 13 YEARS ago, bumped 5 years later, now 8 years bumped again.  How DO people FIND these old threads!?! It sure was entertaining reading through all the old posts, and the various understandings of the terminology!

I guess we each have our own idea of what a "muggle" is and the assorted usages of forms of the word.  "Muggles" to me are non-geocachers, potential witnesses to the retrieval or search of a geocache that could cause questions, suspicion, or unwanted attention ("muggles approaching...").  Can you make a noun from a noun (muggle to muggler?)  "Muggle" is not originally a verb, but a noun.  But I am no epxert!

Yes, I've read some of the Harry Potter books, seen at least one of the movies, but wouldn't consider myself an expert (my kids and their spouses are much more in tune with that than I am!).  That being said, we have created a couple of Harry Potter themed caches for our grandson, whose parents ARE big Harry Potter fans!

They use the Search function in the forums, so as to avoid the wrath of asking a question that was answered in the past or the wrath of posting a repeat of a prior topic.  Some of the old-timers take a dim view of repeated topics - and they are the same ones who take a dim view of improvidently bumping old threads. :ph34r::laughing:

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 2
On 8/18/2012 at 7:07 AM, Mr.Yuck said:

Yes, as a geek who has read every Harry Potter book, and seen every Harry Potter Movie, I was aware of that without even opening up the bumped thread. :blink:

Why just yesterday some guy in the U.S. said they should change the word, and send out 5,000,000 emails announcing the change. I don't suspect he'd like to hear you blabbering on about Harry Potter all day. :lol:

Welcome to Geocaching! I suspect as time goes on, you'll be explaining where the term muggles comes from to many Geocachers. A surprisingly large number of them don't seem to know.

I for one am one of those who had no idea where the term originated.

• Funny 1